Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Mid Travel with BS Thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #12421
Its the Journey, not the Destination
SierraExp is one of the sharper tools in the shedSierraExp is one of the sharper tools in the shedSierraExp is one of the sharper tools in the shedSierraExp is one of the sharper tools in the shedSierraExp is one of the sharper tools in the shedSierraExp is one of the sharper tools in the shedSierraExp is one of the sharper tools in the shedSierraExp is one of the sharper tools in the shedSierraExp is one of the sharper tools in the shedSierraExp is one of the sharper tools in the shedSierraExp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cliff
SierraExp's Tacoma Gallery
Those look like the older Icon rears to me, not the VS series that is labeled on the Resi. They haven't sold those in awhile now that they have switched to the rebuildable 2.0 VS
Old 06-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #12422
Somebody call for a Wambulance?
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Mitch
Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraExp View Post
Those look like the older Icon rears to me, not the VS series that is labeled on the Resi. They haven't sold those in awhile now that they have switched to the rebuildable 2.0 VS
^2
Old 06-24-2013, 01:42 PM   #12423
uscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: AMT3 kodiak 60T jayhawks
Name: coby
uscg2008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew8404 View Post
Just installed my icon stage 4 set up this week and got to test her out a little bit. Didn't get to stretch her legs very much speed wise but she was is smooth!
on that second pic i see that you have prob 14" kings on there, and a different spring cup. is there a reason that you dont have the icon spring cup?
Old 06-24-2013, 02:48 PM   #12424
SVtaco03 is on a distinguished road
SVtaco03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by disc0monkey View Post
most people say just pick a color. After looking around myself they are all different in off the shelf form.

Fox and King offer different spring rates but the same type of valving. The valving is obviously not tuned the same.

Icon has a different style valving.

They all will give different characteristics judging by these differences. I have only felt ICONs. So I can't give more input here and it's difficult to figure them out due to all the pick a color stuff going around.

I like the ICONs because they give good stability on road. They feel like the shock is locked until you hit a bump and there is a blow off valve feel. When in this "blowoff" state as I like to call it, it will use the travel a lot. So tuning the last bit of travel with bump stops is a good idea. Seems like they would compliment a hydro bump well and give a triple bypass feel. (locked, blow off, and bump)

ICON offers this setup out of the box with there reservoir shocks, by adding a bump zone. IHMO i would not spend the extra money on this feature which sends the added force into the coil bucket. I would instead spend the extra $100 on a hydro bump setup and send the force to the frame rail where it belongs.

My $0.02
Thank you. $0.02 is all I am looking for. I understand some people will belive one is far superior to others and wont admit that they have only tried one but your post is informative.

I think if it comes down to the pick a color im going with Kings blue is my favorite color. Plus I think the kings are a bit cheaper and they also come in a combo pack with camburg UCA's on downsouthmotorsports. This unfortunately will not be happening for a while but I just like planning things out ahead of time ha.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #12425
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVtaco03 View Post
Thank you. $0.02 is all I am looking for. I understand some people will belive one is far superior to others and wont admit that they have only tried one but your post is informative.

I think if it comes down to the pick a color im going with Kings blue is my favorite color. Plus I think the kings are a bit cheaper and they also come in a combo pack with camburg UCA's on downsouthmotorsports. This unfortunately will not be happening for a while but I just like planning things out ahead of time ha.
Also just FYI but DSM will valve any shock any way you want, just tell them what you are looking for when you order
Old 06-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #12426
Downsouth Motorsport
Downsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Downsouth Motorsports's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Contact me for TW member pricing when you are ready

Micah
Old 06-24-2013, 04:44 PM   #12427
andrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: 2 Battalion 4th Marines
Name: ANDREW
andrew8404's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscg2008 View Post
on that second pic i see that you have prob 14" kings on there, and a different spring cup. is there a reason that you dont have the icon spring cup?
Apparently, it's the right sized cup for the kings 14 700LB. Never heard anything about that before but that's what the seller said. The cup is red which I hate but didn't want to reassemble. Yeah, I put the newer sticker on the resi's cause that's all icon had and I didn't like it blank.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #12428
Just think outside the Yota
CayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
CayucosTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Had bolt on kings w/ Resi and bolt on Icon w/o Resi.
Kings looked better but IMO the Icons were way better.
This was on a second gen by the way.
The icons felt stiff on road, but like a good stiff. Not like a spacer lift type of stiff haha
And the kings felt softer on road with a lot more body roll.

Off road the icons hands down. Didn't bottom out as easy and just felt better all around.
Kings offroad were bottoming out way to easy and often.

But this was with just out of the box valving. Kings were just too soft for me out of the box but with the right valving would be fine
Old 06-24-2013, 05:05 PM   #12429
Cuz Stock Sucks!
SDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SDHQ OFFROAD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CayucosTacoma View Post
Had bolt on kings w/ Resi and bolt on Icon w/o Resi.
Kings looked better but IMO the Icons were way better.
This was on a second gen by the way.
The icons felt stiff on road, but like a good stiff. Not like a spacer lift type of stiff haha
And the kings felt softer on road with a lot more body roll.

Off road the icons hands down. Didn't bottom out as easy and just felt better all around.
Kings offroad were bottoming out way to easy and often.

But this was with just out of the box valving. Kings were just too soft for me out of the box but with the right valving would be fine
progressive vs digressive, and 600lb spring vs 650lb spring.

For the Daily driver/ weekend warrior, Icon's hands down. Race trucks..Fox or King. It's beating a dead horse, but ya.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:24 PM   #12431
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
How's she ride?
Old 06-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #12432
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktacoma23 View Post
16's

Vs.

18's
Why would you have 18" springs? How do those even fit a MT shock
Old 06-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #12433
3 7 Mafia
Blacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
Blacktacoma23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
How's she ride?
Even better
Old 06-24-2013, 07:49 PM   #12434
uscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: AMT3 kodiak 60T jayhawks
Name: coby
uscg2008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew8404 View Post
Apparently, it's the right sized cup for the kings 14 700LB. Never heard anything about that before but that's what the seller said. The cup is red which I hate but didn't want to reassemble. Yeah, I put the newer sticker on the resi's cause that's all icon had and I didn't like it blank.
So the icon cup won't work or the previous owner didn't want to use it ?
Old 06-24-2013, 08:42 PM   #12435
andrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: 2 Battalion 4th Marines
Name: ANDREW
andrew8404's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscg2008 View Post
So the icon cup won't work or the previous owner didn't want to use it ?
I'm sure it will work but apparently he said the replacement is the correct cup for the kings. Not sure?
Old 06-24-2013, 08:46 PM   #12436
3 7 Mafia
Blacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
Blacktacoma23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Why would you have 18" springs? How do those even fit a MT shock
I have a 6" liff (notice the spindle not a weak factory)
Old 06-24-2013, 08:54 PM   #12437

Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktacoma23 View Post
I have a 6" liff (notice the spindle not a weak factory)
On a second look yes
Old 06-24-2013, 08:59 PM   #12440
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
Tc 2nd gen uca bolt fittings look weird. Haha
Heims . Don't recall needing the washers though . That bolt seems to BARLEY fit

Products Discussed in this Thread