Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Mid Travel with BS Thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #12801
Previously "MGMTacoFF"
CanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
CanisLupus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr500taco View Post
I asked this a couple of days ago, but did't get any responses. So, I am asking, again.

I am confused on whether or not to do a diff drop on a 1st gen 4WD with a MT? I have heard it is a good idea and I have heard it's not. Just wondering if you 4 wheelers have dropped your diffs or not. If so, what's your experience with them and if not, how come?
I think 1st Gen diff drops actually help a little bit, but I'm not 100%. 2nd Gen diff drops are a definite no.

Matt
Old 07-29-2013, 06:46 PM   #12802
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacoFF View Post
I think 1st Gen diff drops actually help a little bit, but I'm not 100%. 2nd Gen diff drops are a definite no.

Matt
Yep, 2nd gens are pretty much a definite no and 1st gens seem to be about 50% yes, 50% no... haha

I would still say don't bother. 1st and 2nd gen front ends are set up pretty similarly and the results are negligible IMO. Besides CV boots are cheap and will still last thousands and thousands of miles even if they are rubbing.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:51 PM   #12803
cr500taco will become famous soon enough

Name: D
cr500taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyT88 View Post
Yep, 2nd gens are pretty much a definite no and 1st gens seem to be about 50% yes, 50% no... haha

I would still say don't bother. 1st and 2nd gen front ends are set up pretty similarly and the results are negligible IMO. Besides CV boots are cheap and will still last thousands and thousands of miles even if they are rubbing.
Are the boots the only thing that might be affected by not doing the diff drop? I thought it might affect the CV's themselves or might possibly cause them to bind, at least that was my understanding. My truck's front diff doesn't get used that much, anyway, so maybe I won't bother with it.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:01 PM   #12804
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
I have a diff drop on mine....for the sole reason that i am too lazy to take it off. Didnt really notice a difference before and after

mainly to protect CV boots.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:01 PM   #12805
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I have a diff drop on mine....for the sole reason that i am too lazy to take it off. Didnt really notice a difference before and after

mainly to protect CV boots.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:38 PM   #12806
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr500taco View Post
Are the boots the only thing that might be affected by not doing the diff drop? I thought it might affect the CV's themselves or might possibly cause them to bind, at least that was my understanding. My truck's front diff doesn't get used that much, anyway, so maybe I won't bother with it.
You won't start binding the CV's from just lift unless we are talking about a lot of lift. 4"+ of lift and you would want a drop bracket lift since even a diff drop won't save your CV's then... haha but even 4-6" of lift likely won't cause the CV's to bind, it would just destroy your boots very very quickly.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:54 PM   #12807

I need to find a way to get to my UCA grease zerks.....

Fucking cheap ass lowes grease gun hose doesnt fit on the grease gun it's built for....
Old 07-29-2013, 09:59 PM   #12808
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalduckslayer View Post
He doesn't know about that run yet but ya, he's going. Not sure he'll roll the heep but he's going
is that the aug 3 run?

i'm planning like the 8th-11th on being there...most likely
Old 07-29-2013, 10:32 PM   #12809
cr500taco will become famous soon enough

Name: D
cr500taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyT88 View Post
You won't start binding the CV's from just lift unless we are talking about a lot of lift. 4"+ of lift and you would want a drop bracket lift since even a diff drop won't save your CV's then... haha but even 4-6" of lift likely won't cause the CV's to bind, it would just destroy your boots very very quickly.
Cool. Thanks
Old 07-30-2013, 05:23 PM   #12810
McBuckets
RockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Noah
RockyMtnTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Is it ok to loosen the UCA bolt to grease the zerks without disconnecting the UCA from the spindle?
Old 07-30-2013, 05:48 PM   #12811
deadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
deadhed61's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnTRD View Post
Is it ok to loosen the UCA bolt to grease the zerks without disconnecting the UCA from the spindle?
Of course, that's the way it should be done actually. Don't forget to re-torque tho.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:49 PM   #12812
VolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Machinist Mate Third Class (Veteran 2011)
VolcomTacoma2011's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
is that the aug 3 run?

i'm planning like the 8th-11th on being there...most likely
Dang...going to a concert that weekend/have to hang around for the wife's Bday
Old 07-30-2013, 05:55 PM   #12813
McBuckets
RockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Noah
RockyMtnTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhed61 View Post
Of course, that's the way it should be done actually. Don't forget to re-torque tho.
Thanks, I need a bigger wrench these bitches are tight
Old 07-31-2013, 03:01 AM   #12814

is changing a zerk as easy as unscrewing the old one and screwing in the new one?

i have one on my UCA that doesnt accept grease....clogged with something, didnt want my grease gun to explode trying to get it in
Old 07-31-2013, 08:08 AM   #12815
nfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GSM1
nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
is changing a zerk as easy as unscrewing the old one and screwing in the new one?

i have one on my UCA that doesnt accept grease....clogged with something, didnt want my grease gun to explode trying to get it in
Yes just becareful you dont break it off.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:54 AM   #12816
Jumper's Leds
csjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: 2nd class petty officer
Name: chris
csjumper2003's Tacoma Gallery
^^^^^^^^This

if you do it becomes an extremely difficult task
Old 07-31-2013, 10:12 AM   #12817
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
if it breaks an easy-out removes it in about ten seconds. you don't even need to drill a pilot for the easy-out since its already hollow...
Old 07-31-2013, 10:13 AM   #12818
nfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GSM1
nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NwiTACO View Post
if it breaks an easy-out removes it in about ten seconds. you don't even need to drill a pilot for the easy-out since its already hollow...
I didnt have easy outs when I broke mine, so I had to drill it out and then tap the hole...
Old 07-31-2013, 10:17 AM   #12820
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfs257 View Post
I didnt have easy outs when I broke mine, so I had to drill it out and then tap the hole...
Ah yes, the proper tools always make things easier.

When I come upon needing a tool, the best thing is to buy it rather than find a way around needing it. Then you have it for next time. Now I rarely have this problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
In thinking about wrapping it with some gauze and then trying to screw it out
They usually have wrench flats on the so you can use a small wrench and spin it right out.

Products Discussed in this Thread