Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Mid Travel with BS Thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-25-2012, 05:53 PM   #1
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Mid Travel with BS Thread

Decided to make a thread for mid travel setups . Feel free to ask any questions you might have about products , installation , and performance of a MT setup.

Member- Gelo760 (me)

Suspension Mods- Front total chaos stock length upper and lower arms, fox extended travel 2.5" Coilovers with resi. Rear- deaver j66 leaf pack, fox 2.0 piggy back shocks and 2.5" stroke 2.0" fox bump stops with custom mounts and strike pad

Member- Socalduckslayer (pelfreybilt offroad)

Suspension Mods- Front King 2.5 RR C/O's w/ 700# springs
Icon Tubular UCA's
Rear King 2.0 x 12" RR smoothies
Rear King 2.0 x 2.5 Bumps

Member- Bullaculla's Mid Travel Truck

Suspension Mods- Fox 2.5 IFP extended travel coilovers, Fox 2.0 extended travel FJC rear piggyback shock, Icon 3 leaf progressive mini AAL pack, Total Chaos UCAs.

Member - Alfuh

ICON Extended Travel Coilovers
- Total Chaos UCAs
- Maxtrac Spindles
- AllPro 3" Standard Leafpack
- Fox 2.0 RR 10" Shocks

Member -Basikbiker

09 access cab Trd offroad
King 2.5's coilovers front 650# coils
Camburg uniball upper arms
Trailgear limit straps 10"
TC spindle gussets
TC cam tabs
Wheelers superbumps

Rear:
King 2.0 12" remote resi
BAMF Shock towers
All pro standard springs
U bolt flip
Wheelers superbumps
SOS shackle flip Hangars

Member- Straycat241

Parts- airaid intake, jba headers, jba exhaust, DMZ enginecage, King 2.5 coilovers , 1.25camburg uca's, total chaos lca's, shock hoops with Icon 2.5 piggybacks, camburg 4.0 Spindles, Defined engineering SUA, King 2.5" Shocks w/Reservoir, King 2.5 Bumpstops,shocktacobumper,moto metal 951's, compartment locks, blackgrill,Glassworks fenders front and rear,ViS racing glass hood,PIAA 510s,hella 500's,black rebadge,fabtech spare tire holder,tailgate delete,mudflaps delete,cobra 19 ultra iii

Member- 12TRDTacoma

Parts- running 2.0 Sway Away RR fronts, 14" 650 coils, Fox 2.0 2" air bumps and Dirt King UCA/LCA's. Rear is 2.0 Fox RR currently running Chevy Silverado polyfoam bumps soon to be switched to TC bolt on Fox 2.0 3" air bumps using a Icon U bolt flip kit striker plate, running Deavers F85 1.5" AAL with the overload retained,swaybar removed now

Old 01-25-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
Chewie is my Co-pilot
YumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Cool.
I'll start.
Is there a way to get more travel from the rear? What setups/travel numbers have been reached with bolt on upgrades. (springs, extended shocks, shackle flip kit)
Old 01-25-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 View Post

do you really notice any difference between piggybacks and resis with a mt setup? seems like you could save a lotta money and probably not lose much performance...
With a 2.5" front coilover, you arent going to be able to push it hard enough to over heat the shocks, thus possibly needing a remote/piggy back resi. Your more likely to heat the rear shock to a hotter temp than the front.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YumaTRD View Post
Cool.
I'll start.
Is there a way to get more travel from the rear? What setups/travel numbers have been reached with bolt on upgrades. (springs, extended shocks, shackle flip kit)
Ha ! Good Post to start off the thread . I'm actually currently interested in that at the moment as well . I currently run a set of fox 2.0 piggy backs with stock leafs . I'm looking into upgrading my leafs to a deaver j66 pack .
Old 01-25-2012, 06:15 PM   #5
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
i should have worded that better- is remote resi really needed or can a piggyback be used with negligible drop in performance on a mid travel setup?
but it is good to know resis arent needed at all in the front
I havent been able to compare a piggy back to a remote resi side by side. My set up (Icon 2.5" front, and 2.5" remote resi rears) when pushed as hard as I can, heat up to within 2 or 3* of each other. Im thinking a 2" rear may get about 10* to 15* hotter, given the lower oil capacity, and cooling surface area of the shock body.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
Chewie is my Co-pilot
YumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
Ha ! Good Post to start off the thread . I'm actually currently interested in that at the moment as well . I currently run a set of fox 2.0 piggy backs with stock leafs . I'm looking into upgrading my leafs to a deaver j66 pack .
I'm about to install the Allpro standard pack this coming week. I'll take measurements of the new shock lenght and leaf droop, It would be good to know what are the average gains from the aftermarket leafs.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:21 PM   #7

Quote:
so remotes are worth it for mid travel?
IN a fast off roading, hot environment, I think so. For crawling, and lower speeds, you wouldnt see much benafit.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:29 PM   #9
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
IN a fast off roading, hot environment, I think so. For crawling, and lower speeds, you wouldnt see much benafit.
How about long runs on a offroad terrain where the shock is performing a lot . I'm thinking a resi would come into play there aswell .
Old 01-25-2012, 06:31 PM   #10

Quote:
How about long runs on a offroad terrain where the shock is performing a lot .
That would be under the "Fast off roading) I meentioned.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:32 PM   #11
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
How about long runs on a offroad terrain where the shock is performing a lot . I'm thinking a resi would come into play there aswell .
mine get really hot
Old 01-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
mine get really hot
Have you taken the temps? 130* can "feel" pretty hot, but its not. You have to get them over 180* or more before you can really feel a performance drop.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:35 PM   #13
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Does anybody know what are the stock rear travel numbers ?
Old 01-25-2012, 07:03 PM   #14
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Also in the mix with me replacing my rear leafs is a set of stock length Total Chaos lca's . They are pretty pricey but I'm sticking with my MT set up so I'm heavily considering them . Can either do lca's or j66 leafs at the moment .

Old 01-25-2012, 07:06 PM   #15
bridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: If I told you....I'd have to kill you. ;-)
bridgcat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Also in the mix with me replacing my rear leafs is a set of stock length Total Chaos lca's . They are pretty pricey but I'm sticking with my MT set up so I'm heavily considering them . Can either do lca's or j66 leafs at the moment .

Might seem like a dumb question to you guys but my knowledge on suspension is limited at best. Whats the up side of having these instead of the stock LCA's?
Old 01-25-2012, 07:07 PM   #16
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Have you taken the temps? 130* can "feel" pretty hot, but its not. You have to get them over 180* or more before you can really feel a performance drop.
I didnt take temps, but they were hot enough to steam dry and were too hot to touch. This was after using a non-maintained trail for a good 3 hours. Washboard surfaces make me want LT

Guess that's not really scientific though...I'll have to bring a laser thermometer next time
Old 01-25-2012, 07:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
I didnt take temps, but they were hot enough to steam dry and were too hot to touch. This was after using a non-maintained trail for a good 3 hours. Washboard surfaces make me want LT

Guess that's not really scientific though...I'll have to bring a laser thermometer next time
Yeah, an IR thermo can be much more accurate. Figure water can evap pretty dam fast at 130*. Figure thats halfway to its boiling point.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:22 PM   #18
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
I was wondering how you would test the temp .
Old 01-25-2012, 07:24 PM   #19
atvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant future

Name: Chris
atvlifestyle's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgcat View Post
Might seem like a dumb question to you guys but my knowledge on suspension is limited at best. Whats the up side of having these instead of the stock LCA's?
uniballs and polybushings will give "cleaner" travel. The arms are also much stronger.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:41 PM   #20
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by atvlifestyle View Post
uniballs and polybushings will give "cleaner" travel. The arms are also much stronger.
Yeah those arms also allow you to keep your stock fenders and you can add a secondary shock to it as well . The bottom of the arm come with a skid .

Products Discussed in this Thread