Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

5150 vs 5160

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-28-2012, 06:46 PM   #1
TACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TACWUT's Tacoma Gallery
5150 vs 5160

I've been researching rear shocks for quite sometime now and recently found the 5160. I tried searching for threads where people who have used them and gave a review but nothing has came up.

For those of you who have either set up, would you mind giving your thoughts on them? At the moment with toytec having the 5160 for 355 it comes out to being about 100 bucks more vs the 5150. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
sydwayz04 is on a distinguished road
Name: Dustin
sydwayz04's Tacoma Gallery
i have 5150's on my crawler and love them, best bang for ur buck in my oppinion
Old 01-28-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
TACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TACWUT's Tacoma Gallery
Ok cool. Did you do the install with the adapter or take it somewhere?
Old 01-28-2012, 07:53 PM   #4
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Depending on what your doing 5150s are well worth it for the price.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #5
rwalker is on a distinguished road

Name: Rian
rwalker's Tacoma Gallery
I have the 5150s for 2nd gen stock trucks you need an eye to pin adapter (like $15 a piece)
They ride is pretty smooth and travels well on the moderate trails I have done. The piggyback resi is nice to keep the shock cool. But I probably don't do enough to fully utalize this. No experience with the 5160's but a lot of research on this site in particular helped me make my decision.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:08 PM   #6

TACWUT's Tacoma Gallery
Walker where did you buy the adapters?
Old 01-28-2012, 09:28 PM   #7

rwalker's Tacoma Gallery
I got them at 4 wheel parts, I couldn't find them online so I called them to order.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:39 PM   #8
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
This is what I used.

http://www.chaosfab.com/toyaccess_05taco.php
PT# - 30012

Old 01-28-2012, 10:41 PM   #9

TACWUT's Tacoma Gallery
Cool, im assuming it was pretty east to convert?
Old 01-28-2012, 10:53 PM   #11

TACWUT's Tacoma Gallery
Cool! Lol i think im going with the 5150.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:02 PM   #12
Chewie is my Co-pilot
YumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Go with the 5150s because the 5160s will not work for 2" of lift.

Poly performance rates the part#25-177343 5160 for 0-1" lift aplication.
Poly page
toytech page

I had the Toytec add-a-leaf on my truck and ran the 5100 for lifted rears. Those didnt work either since they were an inch short for my leafs travel.

the same is possible to happen with the 5160's.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:06 PM   #13

TACWUT's Tacoma Gallery
I think the 5165 has different lengths also. But in order to get sum a bit better n stay on budget, i think ill go 5150. Spindles r in my future!
Old 01-28-2012, 11:18 PM   #14
Chewie is my Co-pilot
YumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
4wheelparts has the 5150s for $111 each, then use promo code cc5off to get 5% off the total order.
Adaptor link
5150 link

Maybe pm rcfreak or socalrunner (i forget who has the 4wp hookup) to maybe get better pricing still
Old 01-29-2012, 03:53 AM   #15

TACWUT's Tacoma Gallery
Cool thnx man.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:00 AM   #16

rwalker's Tacoma Gallery
The adapter I have is different. The top eye of the shock screws off for the pin adapter to screw in. Its a Bilstien part.
Also make sure you get the right length. I tried to look for mine but the shock is caked in dirt.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:21 PM   #17
sydwayz04 is on a distinguished road
Name: Dustin
sydwayz04's Tacoma Gallery
my crawler is not a taco its a full size chevy, i was just refering to i have used them and love them, i will go kings on the tacoma when i do it, but 5150 in general are great imo
Old 01-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #18
Bens MBL TACO will become famous soon enoughBens MBL TACO will become famous soon enough

Bens MBL TACO's Tacoma Gallery
I just installed the 5160 in the rears a few days ago with the add a leaf. I got the 3" lift from toytec and upped for the 5160. I havent been able to go anywhere with them yet but hope to soon.
I dont think I will ever use them to their full potential but im stoked having them.

Yeah, I tried researching them hear before I bought them but didnt find too much info.
Attached Thumbnails
5150 vs 5160-mail.jpg  
Old 01-29-2012, 04:50 PM   #19

TACWUT's Tacoma Gallery
Nice man. I like your truck.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #20
Chantel is on a distinguished road
Chantel's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bens MBL TACO View Post
I just installed the 5160 in the rears a few days ago with the add a leaf. I got the 3" lift from toytec and upped for the 5160. I havent been able to go anywhere with them yet but hope to soon.
I dont think I will ever use them to their full potential but im stoked having them.

Yeah, I tried researching them hear before I bought them but didnt find too much info.
Hey I was wondering if you could post some pics of the 5160s on your truck, I just installed toytec ulitmat lift kit. 3 inch, but seems that the 5160s are too short?!? I put stock shocks in for now, and parked truck till I hear back from toytec. anxious to figure this out as im booked for an alignment on tuesday and finally get my rims and tires on. only difference from you, I have the dakar leaf pack, didnt go with the AAL. any help would be greatly appreciated

Products Discussed in this Thread