1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fox racing suspension

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by nighthawk87, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Dec 2, 2008 at 5:28 PM
    nighthawk87

nighthawk87 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Is this a good lift / suspension? Please post pics, details and reviews if u have it!

How does it handle on and off road..

How does it compare to it's rivals: toytec, etc...

Does it require new uca or does it come with them?

Questions questions questions.....,
    What u all think?0

2. Dec 2, 2008 at 5:47 PM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    Fox makes some really nice coilover kits for our trucks no they do not come with uca's you will want to buy some though might want to hit up downsouthmotorsports for some more info he just sold a kit he would help you out more.

3. Dec 2, 2008 at 6:06 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I think the Fox is one of (if not THE) best coilovers you can get for the Tacoma. Street ride will be more firm than stock, but off road it should perform great!

4. Dec 2, 2008 at 6:26 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    While I don't know from any personal experience, mjp2 is running Fox coilovers on his truck that he plans on running the Baja 1000 (I think it's that race...) so I'm going to guess that they're pretty nice, if not the best coilovers for these trucks. If you're looking for something a little less but still pretty good, check out Icon coilovers.

Icon's can be found on wheelers ( ) and they might even be having a special on the Fox coils you want.

5. Dec 3, 2008 at 3:31 PM
    NiceTaco

NiceTaco Canadian Redneck

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport
    Aero Turbine 2525, Front bilstein 5100's @1.75, rear 5100's, 1" Toytec rear block, Devil Horns, BGF AT's, 18" Moto Metal 962's
    I was just going to post the same thread..Luckily i searched!

they have to different sets for the taco a 2.0 and 2.5 i believe whats the diffrence???
    are they no better than the ICON coils ?

ive used fox on every sled, bike and quad ive owned and they were far superior IMO than anything else for those apps
    im assuming they would keep up the great work with the truck stuff...im leaning either towards the ICON's or the FOX racing ones..im not concered about price i just want something that will handle and ride noce on the street and keep up when off road and i wont be going to hard with my TACO

6. Dec 4, 2008 at 7:31 AM
    Bearskill

Bearskill Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sac
    Vehicle:
    06 Access cab PreRunner Sport
    FlowMaster 40 duals out the back, T-Rex grill, Color matched TRD Nerf bars, Icon coilovers set at 2'', 2.75" OME Dakars spring packs, OME Nitro-Charger extended rear shocks, Carrier bearing drop kit, Wheeler's Extended break Lines, Total Chaos UCAs, Mojave Teflons and 31 1/2" Toyo Open Country A/Ts, Pioneer single din unit, Yakima roof rack, Malone roof basket with X2 KC 130w long range Slimmlights mounted to it, Garmin 255w nav, Fire bottle mod, Air Force standard First Aid kit mod, Hidden Muchette mod (don't ask), and 1 huge OCD about my truck.
    I was about to buy fox's 2.5 RR coilovers. Were these the coilovers you were looking at? To run new UCAs, you have to also buy a 3/4" spacer. For $1400 I thought they should have thrown the spacer in for free. Thats why I went Icon. The Fox one look sweet though!

7. Dec 4, 2008 at 7:44 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Scaffolding and a painted grill
    You can pick up the Fox coilovers that AllPro offers they come come with everything you need to bolt up.

[​IMG]

I had some 2.0" Walker Evans shocks on prior to this and the Fox's are much more firm. The stock valving from AllPro is great, but I'll be changing that around in the near future as I'm going to back these up with some 2.5" bypass shocks to survive the race. As I learned at Barstow, a single shock on each front wheel will lose dampening in a surprisingly short amount of time at speed in the desert. :eek:

Go for the Fox coilovers. You won't be disappointed.

8. Dec 4, 2008 at 8:53 AM
    gtz85350

gtz85350 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yuma Arizona
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 sport
    Mjp2, is this the setup your going to be running for the race( the picture you posted)? Or was it just an example of the Fox's?

9. Dec 4, 2008 at 9:02 AM
    mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    It's the current iteration of my suspension. More modifications are on the way during the first couple months of next year.

10. Dec 4, 2008 at 9:47 AM
    gtz85350

Member:
    Yuma Arizona
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 sport
    If you dont mind me asking Mpj2, what exactly have you added (according to the pic)? I see you have some other mods on there and i wanna research this setup you have because this is what am leaning towards. Would you consider this a mid-travel suspension? Thanks in advance....

11. Dec 4, 2008 at 10:48 AM
    mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Travel isn't much more than stock, but that's intentional since I have 4wd and stock length control arms and don't want to bind the CV joints. Prerunners can pull the trick of raising the upper coil bucket and installing longer coilovers to get more travel. :)

That picture shows Total Chaos upper control arms, 2.5" Fox reservoir coilovers, Light Racing jounce shocks, dual 10" limiting straps, Total Chaos lower control arm skidplates, Total Chaos spindle gussets, and BudBuilt skidplates.

Pretty much all bolt-ons for now.

12. Dec 4, 2008 at 11:14 AM
    gtz85350

Member:
    Yuma Arizona
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 sport
    Thanks for the info! I will be looking into these parts, if i have any more questions, do you mind if i shoot them at you, seeing how your pretty well informed about all this? Thanks again!

13. Dec 4, 2008 at 11:16 AM
    mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    No problem at all! It'll be far less expensive to do stuff right the first time and learn from my mistakes. :p

14. Dec 5, 2008 at 10:52 AM
    gtz85350

Member:
    Yuma Arizona
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 sport
    Thanks bro! I really appreciate that!

15. Dec 5, 2008 at 9:26 PM
    NiceTaco

NiceTaco Canadian Redneck

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport
    Aero Turbine 2525, Front bilstein 5100's @1.75, rear 5100's, 1" Toytec rear block, Devil Horns, BGF AT's, 18" Moto Metal 962's
    setup looks amazing!!!
    are the fox coils good on the street ( daily city driving??)
    if i bought the the fox coilovers and some TC uca's and a diff drop would that be ok for the setupin the front or would i need anything else??.. im not doing any hardcore off roading.
    for the rear im thing the fox shocks with some deaver leafs...other suggestions, improvements are welcome!
    thanks ahead!

16. Dec 5, 2008 at 10:21 PM
    Killer Red Taco

Killer Red Taco NorCal Rock Whore

Member:
    First Name:
    Whatsurname
    BFE–Norcal
    Vehicle:
    007 Tacoma A/C TRD O/R Impulse Red 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 on front at 1.75 setting • 5100 on back• K&N Air Filter• TRD Seat Covers• Day Time Running Lights• Foglights Anytime• Hella 500 lights in grille• Rear TSB Springs• Alternative Locker Mod• CB and 4 ft firestick II• Billet Grille• Kid puke in the back!• 265/75R16 Goodyear MT/R• 16" Devino wheels• Hose Clamp Mod• Revenge Fab Sliders• No Sway Bar• A Hottie as Copilot

I hate to say it but I just got wood looking at that setup.

17. Dec 8, 2008 at 9:13 AM
    mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Skip the differential drop. Other than that your setup is solid. The stock valving on the Fox coilovers (I bought mine from AllPro) is perfect. A bit stiffer than stock but you'll be very happy with them both on and off road.

I'm running AllPro rear leaf springs at the moment and they've done well for me. In the near future I'm swapping out to a spring-under conversion with some custom Deaver leaf packs. I've only heard good things about their products and will post a first-hand opinion once I have one. :D

18. Dec 28, 2008 at 11:23 PM
    tacomakid

tacomakid Active Member

Member:
    sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2005 tacoma pre-runner
    3" revtek lift (6" lift coming soon), Rancho RS5000 shocks, magnaflow catback, K&N intake.
    mjp2, wheres ur sway bar? did u jus not have it on wen u took the pic? or is it intensionally off for the suspension setup? if it is off, how much did that affect the handling? is there alot more body roll?

19. Dec 29, 2008 at 7:57 AM
    mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    I ditched the sway bar. It's less necessary than you might think and the offroad handling improvement is well worth it! No problems with body roll for now, but that's gonna change once I'm done softening up the rear suspension. :)

If you're curious, just disconnect it and drive around for awhile. If you like it (and you wheel), pull it off. If it makes turns a bit too squishy for you, it's an easy enough process to hook it back up.

20. Jan 4, 2009 at 11:06 AM
    gtz85350

Member:
    Yuma Arizona
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 sport
    Is there any type if quick disconnect that would allow you to have it on while driving and let you disconnect while off roadin??

Products Discussed in

To Top