Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Alignment problems, expert advice requested.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
#texasforever
hudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hudson
hudhawk's Tacoma Gallery
Alignment problems, expert advice requested.

So I think I've finally figured out my alignment woes. Tell me if you guys have any better ideas.

My truck has 139k miles on it. I have stock upper and lowers, Camburg spindles, and bilstein 5100@0.85 with stock coils.

For about two months now my passengers side wheel has had -1.4 degrees of camber. I walked out to the truck one day and noticed it. I went and had it aligned twice and both places said they couldn't align it because the alignment tabs were maxed out. So I had them align it as best they could so it would still drive somewhat straight. I know these trucks have alignment issues when lifted 3" with stock uppers, but I'm below that, and these trucks have problems with positive camber when lifted, not negative.

Before you say anything, yes I know its really bad to drive it like that, but there was nothing I could do about it at the time. I discussed it with my dad and we both decided that, with money being as tight as it is with me going to school and my truck not seeing a whole lot of road time while I'm here, that we would hold off buying anything or taking it to a shop until we figured out exactly what was wrong.

So over the past few months I've been going over everything I could think of that would cause this problem. I checked the wheel bearings, nothing. I've crawled under every inch of the truck looking for signs of bends or cracks, especially in the front of the frame, and inspected control arms for bends, nothing. I've asked and gotten all my mechanically inclined friends to look over and tell me what they thought, nothing.

So today while I was surfing the wonderful world of TW, I came across a thread about how the lower control arm bushings are made of a sleeved piece of rubber and that over time they can wear out and deteriorate causing the control arms to move laterally on there mounts causing alignments to not hold and make loud metal clunking noises in the front suspension. I started thinking, my truck started making loud clunking noises in the front suspension shortly after I bought it and it has never held an alignment very well in all the time I've owned it. Could this be my problem?

So today I climbed under the truck and visually inspected all 4 bushings, every one looked dry rotted and cracked. I then layed under the truck and watched the control arm mounts while a friend turned the steering wheel. I was not surprised at all when I witnessed both control arms moving laterally in the mounts.

So my question is, do y'all think it's worth it to buy new bushings and install them in the lower arms? Does this sound like I've figured out the problem?

I know I can't actually know until I do it, but I at least want to know that I'm on the right track.

I'm not asking to be burned at the stake for driving my truck out of alignment, I'm asking for advice from those more experienced than I.

Thanks,
Hudson
Old 01-31-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
Taco Roja
Ohbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud of

Navy: 1987-1997
Name: Brian
Ohbrian's Tacoma Gallery
Either bushings or maybe something got bent. I would start with bushings, cheap fix and you are probably due anyway.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
Shake and Bake
4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jefferson
4wd Boss's Tacoma Gallery
totally plausible that a truck with 139K would need new bushings. most likely the cause if nothing else looks out of place.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:08 PM   #4
#texasforever
hudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hudhawk's Tacoma Gallery
Ttt, anyone else?
Old 01-31-2012, 10:31 PM   #5
Zimaura is on a distinguished road

Name: Nj
Zimaura's Tacoma Gallery
My truck loses alignment pretty fast too, but i have only about 50k on mine.
What kind of clunking noise are you talking about, and when do you hear it? Do you hear it when turning?
Old 01-31-2012, 10:34 PM   #6
#texasforever

hudhawk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimaura View Post
My truck loses alignment pretty fast too, but i have only about 50k on mine.
What kind of clunking noise are you talking about, and when do you hear it? Do you hear it when turning?
Yes, when turning. Sounds like its coming from right under my feet, like where the LCA is
Old 02-01-2012, 07:56 AM   #7
#texasforever

hudhawk's Tacoma Gallery
I found the bushings online for $160 for the set of 4. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me, but I'll keep checking things out.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:53 AM   #8
SpaceBalls is on a distinguished road
SpaceBalls's Tacoma Gallery
I'm having similar problems, my bushings look all cracked and crappy too. 100km's on mine. I ride my truck hard. So... I'm getting a wheel alignment right now and they are looking into the knocking noise.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:04 AM   #9
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
guys - don't waste your time and money on bushings before trouble shooting.... all the info you need is in here http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...ml#post3691528
Old 03-28-2014, 09:12 AM   #10
SpaceBalls is on a distinguished road
SpaceBalls's Tacoma Gallery
Nice that helped! Turns out my noise is coming from the leaf springs! Says some random mechanic.. I'm not fully convinced. I guess the point is it can be really hard to tell where funny sounds are coming from. Hope you get your truck fixed!!