Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Coil Spring Compressor. Safest/most affordable/functional

Old 04-10-2012, 05:32 AM   #21
Swampmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwampmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwampmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwampmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwampmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwampmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwampmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwampmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwampmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwampmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwampmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wes
Swampmonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks
Old 04-10-2012, 06:25 AM   #23
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=rab89;4507018]Personally, I used this method and felt very safe doing it. it's very quick and easy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkVLBOnAifc[/QUOTE]

There is now way this would work on my 4Runner. I had to use a spring compressor, also had to use it on the rear springs as well... That was a PITA!
Old 04-10-2012, 07:21 AM   #24
dmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud of

Air Force: Metal's Tech
dmb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Man in HD View Post
anyone else use the video technique? I'm considering doing this too...
Used this method to install OME 885x coils on my 5100s this weekend. Worked like a charm.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:32 AM   #25
Fuze911 is a glorious beacon of lightFuze911 is a glorious beacon of lightFuze911 is a glorious beacon of lightFuze911 is a glorious beacon of lightFuze911 is a glorious beacon of light

Fuze911's Tacoma Gallery
Used that video method to install my 5100s at 2.5. Worked great.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:56 AM   #26
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
The video method is the only way to go. so much easier than using a spring compressor!
Old 04-13-2012, 01:38 PM   #27
socal147 is on a distinguished road
Name: patrick
socal147's Tacoma Gallery
After reviewing this video and looking under my 2012 Prerunner, I need to say this is the way to go. I think being a two wheel drive will make the job even easier. Now I need to decide on where to set my Billy's.

Outstanding video. Took the guesswork out of my untried thought pattern.

UPDATE: Installed rear 5100's. The difference from front to rear is now @1.75" ..... Hmmm

Guess I will be setting my front 5100's to 1.75. I will update with pics before and after.

Update #2
Completed in about 4 hours. Mostly due to my learning curve. I did have to remove the brake line and AntiSkid wiring brackets to prevent damage. I also disconnected the UCA Ball Joint. Good lesson and Thanks again for the video.

Update #3
Got my Ride Rites installed. Alignment completed. Ride is better.
I am very happy with the appearance.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:30 PM   #28
BTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to all

Army: 3rd Infantry Division
BTO's Tacoma Gallery
I'm doing the video method this weekend. Thanks TW and members.

BTW, what are the torque specs for these bolts? Is it hard to break the lower control arm bolts loose?
Old 04-19-2012, 12:44 PM   #29
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTO View Post

BTW, what are the torque specs for these bolts? Is it hard to break the lower control arm bolts loose?
not sure on torque numbers but the bolts are not bad with the right tools. I have a big torque wrench that I use and it gives me plenty of leverage to get stubborn bolts.

you can get one from harbor freight for less than 20 bucks of you dont have one.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #30
dmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud of

dmb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I've got the torque specs written down at home. The bolts holding the LCA to the frame weren't bad. The two underneath the lower ball joint are on there pretty good. Spray some PB on em and that helped out. Will you have somebody helping you? I did it myself...would of been easier if I had two jacks, but I gottr' done.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #31
BTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to all

BTO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb View Post
Will you have somebody helping you? I did it myself...would of been easier if I had two jacks, but I gottr' done.
By myself but I have two floor jacks, a bottle jack, four jack stands and a bunch of tools with air tools too . With all this info from everybody I feel very confident it will go smooth.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:06 PM   #32

dmb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
By myself but I have two floor jacks, a bottle jack, four jack stands and a bunch of tools with air tools too . With all this info from everybody I feel very confident it will go smooth.
You'll def be good to go!
Old 04-20-2012, 11:25 PM   #33
Spacewrangler is on a distinguished road

Spacewrangler's Tacoma Gallery
Can I use this method for putting on 2" in-coil spacers too? Hoping to tackle it this weekend so I can get new wheels and 265/75R16 DuraTracs.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:41 PM   #34

BTO's Tacoma Gallery
Just finished mine plus a tire rotation. 4 hours and a bad back later...

Be sure to mark the LCA adjustments with white marker. I made the mistake of using black on the first one and had a hell of a time getting it correct. Who knows if it really is?
Old 04-21-2012, 04:56 PM   #35
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdtaco View Post
I'd like to hear some opinions on different types of spring compressors.

Here are links to a few. Also feel free to suggest other ones I haven't listed.

My objective is to get one that will hold up to OME 885 and 886 coils.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Ton-Air-Hy...ht_3775wt_1270

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hand-Spring-...ht_2635wt_1043

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clamshell-St...ht_2326wt_1139

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5071_200485071

Also, I am aware that I can take my struts to a shop and have it done. Lets keep those comments out of this thread. Thanks!

I might have to invest in the second one on the list, just to add to my collection.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:57 PM   #36
phatso is on a distinguished road
phatso's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
Personally, I used this method and felt very safe doing it. it's very quick and easy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkVLBOnAifc
Thank you for this video. What a life saver! Did it today and no problems whatsoever.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:31 AM   #38
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatso View Post
Thank you for this video. What a life saver! Did it today and no problems whatsoever.
Thanks for all the nice comments on my video guys, but the OP was just asking about spring compressors.

Any discussion of the video should be posted in this thread:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...ll-method.html
Old 02-25-2013, 09:39 AM   #40
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD View Post
Thanks for all the nice comments on my video guys, but the OP was just asking about spring compressors.

Any discussion of the video should be posted in this thread:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...ll-method.html

Thanks Derek (how ya been BTW ?) I will never use a sketched out spring compressor again after using this method a few times now...