LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Coil Spring Compressor. Safest/most affordable/functional

Old 03-13-2013, 04:59 PM   #41
splitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of light

splitbolt's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone heard of or tried this one from SPC?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfnuERu6BW4

Is 7" of travel enough to compress a TRD sport coil to install 5100s @ .85"
Old 04-08-2013, 07:12 PM   #44
socal4x is a name known to allsocal4x is a name known to allsocal4x is a name known to allsocal4x is a name known to allsocal4x is a name known to allsocal4x is a name known to all
socal4x's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitbolt View Post
After a lot of looking, I just ordered this http://www.sears.com/schwaben-pro-se..._tnt=39869:3:0

I'll let you all know how it works out.
Did it work -- You still alive?
Old 04-08-2013, 09:05 PM   #45
splitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal4x View Post
Did it work -- You still alive?
Not yet; springs get here tomorrow.
The Schwaben is very stout; whole kit is 50 lbs. I think it will do nicely.
I'll post some pics...if I live.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #46
socal4x is a name known to allsocal4x is a name known to allsocal4x is a name known to allsocal4x is a name known to allsocal4x is a name known to allsocal4x is a name known to all
socal4x's Tacoma Gallery
Schwaben...Yes, please let us know if/how this works.

I am looking to see if the "truck as coil compressor" method will work with an FJ -- should, its basically the same front end.

Nice to have an off-truck compressor though -- one I can use without putting on the bomb suit from The Hurt Locker.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:29 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaQuest View Post
On my 2013, I didnt even need the spring compressor, the spring stayed in the wheel wheel and the shock just came out, then I slipped the new 5100 into the sprint and raised the arm up and bolted it all in....
You used this method? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkVLBOnAifc
It gets the job done; but there are a few things I don't like about that method.
Now; I have a spring compressor I can use on two of my other vehicles, I don't have to trust an idiot grease monkey to orient my spring/shock/top hat/spring cup correctly, I can do it on my time, it's a whole lot safer than the rental POS, etc.
YMMV.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaQuest View Post
No, on my 2013 the spring was not attached to anything on the top, just the main bracket that is welded to the truck and just the center nut (the 3 other nuts that circle the center top nut, stayed in and I didnt touch/lossen thouse). When you lower the arm down (until there is no pressure on the spring and shock) the shock just comes right out. I see all the photos of the shock and spring out of the tire area, with the spring attached and some bolts on the top of the spring with presure, mine didnt have that. (look at my build and under the suspension section and look at the photo). The shock just slips right out witout any presure or tention on the spring. Maybe the did something differant on the 13's? Not sure.
Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly, but it sounds like you did exactly as the video I posted.
As I said previously, there are few things I don't care for in that method.
Anyway...this thread is about spring compressors.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:31 PM   #50
socal4x's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
Don't use the OEM brand ones, they don't hold up

Damn.

And while we are on the subject....anything from Harbor Freight might as well have a sticker on it that says "Widow Maker."
Old 04-14-2013, 04:54 AM   #51
Gearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gearheadesw's Tacoma Gallery
What happened to the spring when that cheap compressor failed? Hope no one got hurt, yikes.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #52
Lord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Mar Div
Name: Nick
Lord Helmet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Man in HD View Post
anyone else use the video technique? I'm considering doing this too...
I've done that trick on hundreds of toyota, fords, chevys, hummers, etc... easiest way to do it. for the rookies or people not comfortable doing it then the tool option is fine to.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #53
socal4x's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
I've done that trick on hundreds of toyota, fords, chevys, hummers, etc... easiest way to do it. for the rookies or people not comfortable doing it then the tool option is fine to.
Not necessarily a comfort/rookie issue...just nice to have if you want to quickly build the strut off vehicle, or adjust a cranky coilover.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:51 AM   #54

Quote:
Not necessarily a comfort/rookie issue...just nice to have if you want to quickly build the strut off vehicle, or adjust a cranky coilover.
One of the things that doesn't sit right with me is jacking your shock stem into the top hat, putting pressure on the rubber underside isolator.
Maybe I'm over thinking it, but it seems to me clamping force would be increased once torque was achieved AND pressure relieved. Too tight? I don't know; maybe, maybe not; my OCD says better safe than sorry.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:30 AM   #55
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
One of the things that doesn't sit right with me is jacking your shock stem into the top hat, putting pressure on the rubber underside isolator.
Maybe I'm over thinking it, but it seems to me clamping force would be increased once torque was achieved AND pressure relieved. Too tight? I don't know; maybe, maybe not; my OCD says better safe than sorry.

I think your OCD needs to relax a bit.. I get that a little apprehension raising the stem thru the tophat,grommetts,etc; is a little intimidating at first, just guide the stem a little till it starts coming thru the top so you can nut it. As far as pressure on the big isolater, this is a non issue as theres going to be pressure against it any way...
Old 12-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #56
CabbageO is on a distinguished road
CabbageO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not yet; springs get here tomorrow.
The Schwaben is very stout; whole kit is 50 lbs. I think it will do nicely.
I'll post some pics...if I live.
So... How is the Schwaben?
Old 12-18-2013, 09:52 AM   #57
socal4x's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CabbageO View Post
So... How is the Schwaben?
Fooking awesome.

I had some Sears credit, so I ended up picking one up for $70.

It is beefy and easy to use. I even took some springs apart I had laying around just for fun. It seriously made the lift more enjoyable.

Tips: You will need a pretty high volume air system if you plan on using air tools to crank it. Otherwise, a long handle heavy duty ratchet will work -- thats what I used.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:59 AM   #58

Quote:
Fooking awesome.

I had some Sears credit, so I ended up picking one up for $70.

It is beefy and easy to use. I even took some springs apart I had laying around just for fun. It seriously made the lift more enjoyable.

Tips: You will need a pretty high volume air system if you plan on using air tools to crank it. Otherwise, a long handle heavy duty ratchet will work -- thats what I used.
Pretty much this.
I used a long breaker bar with swivel adapter. I chucked it in the vise which made aligning stuff super easy. It also allowed me to wrap everything with a heavy duty chain...just in case.