Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Coil Spring Compressor. Safest/most affordable/functional

Old 02-05-2012, 07:18 AM   #1
6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nate
6spdtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Coil Spring Compressor. Safest/most affordable/functional

I'd like to hear some opinions on different types of spring compressors.

Here are links to a few. Also feel free to suggest other ones I haven't listed.

My objective is to get one that will hold up to OME 885 and 886 coils.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Ton-Air-Hy...ht_3775wt_1270

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hand-Spring-...ht_2635wt_1043

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clamshell-St...ht_2326wt_1139

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5071_200485071

Also, I am aware that I can take my struts to a shop and have it done. Lets keep those comments out of this thread. Thanks!
Old 02-05-2012, 02:55 PM   #2
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Why not rent it?
Old 02-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
These 2 have been used with good results:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Ton-Air-Hy...ht_3775wt_1270

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hand-Spring-...ht_2635wt_1043

But this one looks to be the most heavy duty.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5071_200485071
Old 02-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #4
6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
Why not rent it?
I haven't found a place that will rent anything but the cheapest junk compressors.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:16 PM   #7
ระดับอาวุโส สมาชิกอาวุโส
dYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dyl0n
dYL0n's Tacoma Gallery
Autozone rents them. Advanced Auto rents them. O'Rileys rents them.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #8
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
Personally, I used this method and felt very safe doing it. it's very quick and easy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkVLBOnAifc
Old 02-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #9
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
^ I used that method not to long ago when replacing my strut mounts. Very easy and a lot safer than using the shitty compressors you get from Autozone, IMO.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:49 PM   #10
Petrol head
RenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sloan
RenoTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomanator View Post
^ I used that method not to long ago when replacing my strut mounts. Very easy and a lot safer than using the shitty compressors you get from Autozone, IMO.
I used the cheap style not to long ago and it was sketchy. They both were bowing and this was on ebitech springs
Old 02-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dYL0n View Post
Autozone rents them. Advanced Auto rents them. O'Rileys rents them.
Yes, they rent compressors. Shitty compressors. Thanks for playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdtaco View Post
I haven't found a place that will rent anything but the cheapest junk compressors.
Maybe I should emphasize that I want to own one. I have more than one vehicle which will need this tool in the future, and the lower control arm video technique doesn't interest me.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:48 AM   #12
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
Personally, I used this method and felt very safe doing it. it's very quick and easy!

subbed. I think Im gonna do this.

I called expert tire and they said they wont touch my truck unless I buy the shocks from them...DB's...I guess they will see my truck for a free alignment since I got the lifetime alignment and its already paid for itself

the dealer wanted 200 to install. Cant beat free!
Old 03-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #13
Adam Baum is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
Adam Baum's Tacoma Gallery
subbed as well.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:10 PM   #14
ourtoy is on a distinguished road
Name: Tony
ourtoy's Tacoma Gallery
sub for this weekend
Old 03-06-2012, 11:25 AM   #15
DC TRD MallRunner
Taco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
Taco Man in HD's Tacoma Gallery
anyone else use the video technique? I'm considering doing this too...
Old 03-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #16
MadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nick
MadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Man in HD View Post
anyone else use the video technique? I'm considering doing this too...
Yep - on 886's. Worked like a charm.....
Old 03-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #17
DarkShark is a splendid one to beholdDarkShark is a splendid one to beholdDarkShark is a splendid one to beholdDarkShark is a splendid one to beholdDarkShark is a splendid one to beholdDarkShark is a splendid one to beholdDarkShark is a splendid one to behold

Name: Clark
DarkShark's Tacoma Gallery
subbed! may try it with my new OME setup
Old 03-13-2012, 08:01 AM   #18
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post

bump. I used this method yesterday and it was super easy! there is no way in hell I would use a spring compresser over this method. Safe, easy, and fast. I wish I would have had new springs to put on while I had my old ones out though.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:13 AM   #19
nfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GSM1
Name: Chris
nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
bump. I used this method yesterday and it was super easy! there is no way in hell I would use a spring compresser over this method. Safe, easy, and fast. I wish I would have had new springs to put on while I had my old ones out though.
I used this on my toytec coilovers to adjust and it worked great as well.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #20

Used this today to swap out my 886 coils to 885 coils. Worked great. Very safe if used properly.