1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear bilstein 5100 shocks question

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by bowman, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Feb 5, 2012 at 7:20 PM
    bowman

bowman [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Etowah N.C.
    Vehicle:
    2003 whitey ext. cab 4x4
    Bilstein 5100's front and toytec aal with bilstein 5100's in the rear. blue led's in cluster home made carrier drop bracket
    I just installed front and rear Bilstein 5100 series struts and shocks on my 2003 ext. cab 4x4. Also installed the toytec aal in the rear. Which way does the rear bilstein 5100's mount, resevoir up or down? If the shocks are valved 50/50 it doesn't matter. But i cant find any valving specs on them. I went with badging stickers that would read right with resevoir up. Anybody know for sure? Also how long till the aal settles out? Thanks

2. Feb 5, 2012 at 7:27 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    Mine are mounted so that I could read the label rightside-up

[​IMG]

don't mind the misaligned AAL, but you can see how i have mine mounted

the AAL takes a few months to settle, depending on if you flex them out or not

3. Feb 5, 2012 at 11:32 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    What...in THEEEEE Fuck is up with the leaf bro' !!??:eek::eek::eek:

Settle ??:eek::eek: Its going to settle alright , it'll settle on the outside of your springs & U bolts !!!... 2 things.. you didn't tighten/ re-tighten the axle alignment pin nut when the total weight of truck was on ground & you need to add a clamp (1 at least)...

Quote:

"don't mind the misaligned AAL, but you can see how i have mine mounted

the AAL takes a few months to settle, depending on if you flex them out or not "

Brother, all I SEE is that twisted leaf, plus you stand a better than average chance of shearing the centerpin off the axle...

Kona, pretty sure you know better bro', & tell me its not still like that.....:cool:
    [​IMG]

4. Feb 5, 2012 at 11:53 PM
    Konaborne

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    It was like that for about a day (until I noticed it)
    that ruffian's been pounded pack into place :cool:

5. Feb 6, 2012 at 12:11 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Well thank God for that man !! I was starting to freak....:D

6. Feb 6, 2012 at 12:13 AM
    Konaborne

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    I may not have the master mechanic skills that you posses doug, but I don't suck THAT much! :D

7. Feb 6, 2012 at 12:21 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    I was gonna say

"I've read this cats post & threads before , seems fairly knowledgeable, no fucking way he's ok with that spring!!".;)

8. Feb 6, 2012 at 12:29 AM
    yotabeast505

yotabeast505 The Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    NE Hights ABQ NM
    Vehicle:
    THE BEAST
    here we go. Ford 9" rear after breaking 5 sets of gears in the stock yota 8.8, 5.13 gears with a detroit hard locker, 63" chevy leafs and custom hangers, sky's front spring hanger with sky's extream hysteer and PSC hydro assist ram and PSC pump. welded front spyders in the f-550 front dana 60 with warn hubs, pico brake lines and hoses, elecrtic fan, TRD supercharger with URD 2.1 Pully, URD Map-ECU2 and cage built by me. wide band a/f by inovations, lots and lots more...........
    did you put a clamp on it? you should if you didnt. if the springs end up turning sideways like that going down a bumpy road it will drop all the weight onto the springs that are straight and bend them or kink them then you will be buying a new spring pack the clamps are available at any suspension place for about a $1 each. and for the shock.. the res should be up towards the bed of the truck if you flex the rear out and the springs touch the side of the shock body move them in at the top with a relocation bar or they will get bent and then they are trash.

9. Feb 6, 2012 at 10:39 PM
    sanga700

sanga700 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Red Tacoma SR5 4x4 V6 6sp
    TRD intake Airbox,4 corners 5100 front set @ 2.5".Rear TSB,1.5" Toytec AAL,skid plate.running board, EGR in channel sun visors,Valetine one radar detector, 17x8.5 Black MB Wheels. 265/70/17 Handkook Dynapro ATM
    I got 4 locking washers on each side to keep my aal straight . No more side way.

10. Feb 7, 2012 at 11:24 AM
    yotabeast505

yotabeast505 The Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    NE Hights ABQ NM
    Vehicle:
    THE BEAST
    here we go. Ford 9" rear after breaking 5 sets of gears in the stock yota 8.8, 5.13 gears with a detroit hard locker, 63" chevy leafs and custom hangers, sky's front spring hanger with sky's extream hysteer and PSC hydro assist ram and PSC pump. welded front spyders in the f-550 front dana 60 with warn hubs, pico brake lines and hoses, elecrtic fan, TRD supercharger with URD 2.1 Pully, URD Map-ECU2 and cage built by me. wide band a/f by inovations, lots and lots more...........
    lock washers? lol where post a pic lol

Products Discussed in

To Top