Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Rear bilstein 5100 shocks question

Old 02-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
bowman is on a distinguished road
Name: Dustin
bowman's Tacoma Gallery
Rear bilstein 5100 shocks question

I just installed front and rear Bilstein 5100 series struts and shocks on my 2003 ext. cab 4x4. Also installed the toytec aal in the rear. Which way does the rear bilstein 5100's mount, resevoir up or down? If the shocks are valved 50/50 it doesn't matter. But i cant find any valving specs on them. I went with badging stickers that would read right with resevoir up. Anybody know for sure? Also how long till the aal settles out? Thanks
Old 02-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Mine are mounted so that I could read the label rightside-up

don't mind the misaligned AAL, but you can see how i have mine mounted

the AAL takes a few months to settle, depending on if you flex them out or not
Old 02-05-2012, 11:32 PM   #3
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
What...in THEEEEE Fuck is up with the leaf bro' !!??

Settle ?? Its going to settle alright , it'll settle on the outside of your springs & U bolts !!!... 2 things.. you didn't tighten/ re-tighten the axle alignment pin nut when the total weight of truck was on ground & you need to add a clamp (1 at least)...

Quote:

"don't mind the misaligned AAL, but you can see how i have mine mounted

the AAL takes a few months to settle, depending on if you flex them out or not "

Brother, all I SEE is that twisted leaf, plus you stand a better than average chance of shearing the centerpin off the axle...

Kona, pretty sure you know better bro', & tell me its not still like that.....
Old 02-05-2012, 11:52 PM   #4
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post

Settle ?? Its going to settle alright , it'll settle on the outside of your springs & U bolts !!!... 2 things.. you didn't tighten/ re-tighten the axle alignment pin nut when the total weight of truck was on ground & you need to add a clamp (1 at least)...

Quote:

the AAL takes a few months to settle, depending on if you flex them out or not "

Brother, all I SEE is that twisted leaf, plus you stand a better than average chance of shearing the centerpin off the axle...

I believe he took the pic a while back to show people it before he fixed it...
Old 02-05-2012, 11:53 PM   #5
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post

Quote:

It was like that for about a day (until I noticed it)
that ruffian's been pounded pack into place
Old 02-06-2012, 12:21 AM   #8
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
I was gonna say

"I've read this cats post & threads before , seems fairly knowledgeable, no fucking way he's ok with that spring!!".
Old 02-06-2012, 12:29 AM   #9
The Beast
yotabeast505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotabeast505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotabeast505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotabeast505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotabeast505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotabeast505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotabeast505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotabeast505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotabeast505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotabeast505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotabeast505 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 82nd Airborn
Name: David
yotabeast505's Tacoma Gallery
did you put a clamp on it? you should if you didnt. if the springs end up turning sideways like that going down a bumpy road it will drop all the weight onto the springs that are straight and bend them or kink them then you will be buying a new spring pack the clamps are available at any suspension place for about a $1 each. and for the shock.. the res should be up towards the bed of the truck if you flex the rear out and the springs touch the side of the shock body move them in at the top with a relocation bar or they will get bent and then they are trash.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:39 PM   #10
sanga700 will become famous soon enoughsanga700 will become famous soon enough
sanga700's Tacoma Gallery
I got 4 locking washers on each side to keep my aal straight . No more side way.