1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ICON add a leaf plus overload spring

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by ROGU3 PR3DATOR, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Feb 6, 2012 at 8:54 PM
    ROGU3 PR3DATOR

ROGU3 PR3DATOR [OP] Space Shuttle Door Gunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Alamogordo, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2011 TRD Off-Road
    Lifted, Supercharged, Armored, and lots more
    I've searched around a bit but didn't have much luck on this. I have the 3 leaf add a leaf pack by ICON but their install instructions say to remove the stock overload spring. But some people have mentioned leaving it in. How do you go about this? Its been a while since I removed them so I'm not even sure how they sit on top of the axel exactly. And does leaving it in make the ride harsher? I understand it gives another half inch of lift as well. Anyone able to elaborate on any of this?

2. Feb 7, 2012 at 4:45 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    To leave the overload in place, you need to put the centering pin through the overload leaf first, then the Icon pack, then the stock leaf pack and tighten down. If you already installed it without the overload in place, chances are you cut the centering pin and would need a new one. It does not affect the ride when unloaded and will limit how far the truck can squat when loaded. Let me know if you have any questions, I've had that exact set-up on my truck for about a year now (Icon AAL, TSB pack and the overload leaf in place).

3. Feb 7, 2012 at 6:52 AM
    ROGU3 PR3DATOR

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Alamogordo, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2011 TRD Off-Road
    That makes sense. I think I did cut the centering pin so that the stock bump stop would fit. But I didn't cut much, so maybe I wont need a new one. Im not even sure I will put it in, I was just curious about it. It should only affect ride quality when heavily loaded though right? You shouldn't notice it otherwise should you? Just in case I decide to re-install the overload spring and need new pins, any idea where I can get the right ones? Call ICON? or would a generic pin of the right length and diameter work? Not sure if ICONs AAL has something special about the pin.

4. Feb 7, 2012 at 9:58 PM
    ROGU3 PR3DATOR

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Alamogordo, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2011 TRD Off-Road
  5. Feb 8, 2012 at 5:17 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I don't think there is anything special about the Icon centering pin but am not 100% sure. I wouldn't hesitate to go to a local hardware store and get a high grade bolt with the correct head to substitute. If you have a suspension shop near by, swing in, I'd imagine they have them there and might just give them to you.

6. Feb 8, 2012 at 5:28 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Probably the reason they advise dumping the overload is because with the added leafs your U bolts may be too short to accomodate the added springs & overload, not a big thing really, the overload doesn't come into play until a heavy load is present & your springs compress to their limit, its job is to keep your springs from going to a extreme negative arc possibly breaking a leaf

7. Feb 8, 2012 at 7:53 AM
    Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Icon/All Pro.....chopped for 35's
    Negative arc is what kills these springs.......sagging and bottoming out after just a year is no fun! Having the overload in there will help reduce the extra up travel!

8. Feb 8, 2012 at 8:02 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    They actually come with new U-bolts and centering pins because in the kit (one of the big draws in my opinion). They recommend removing the overload to allow for more flex. When loaded, they do sag pretty easily at first then get progressively stronger (thus the progressive AAL :)). With a moderate load, they support weight well but if you do a lot of towing and hauling, the overload will certainly help.

I still want to try the spring refurbishing when I get ambitious (and if my current leaf pack ever does sag out)! I think a couple Chevy leafs would do nicely in the stock leaf pack.

Whiskey Driver and ToyotaJim like this.
  9. Feb 10, 2012 at 4:40 PM
    Spencedaddy

Spencedaddy Member

Member:
    Southaven, MS
    Vehicle:
    06 Taco TRD Sport DC LB 4WD

What do you mean by spring refurbishing? Ive got an 06 DC LB without the TSB leaf pack and its sagging pretty bad. Ive got the leveling spacer up front and the rear is about 1/2" to 1" lower than the front. I want to put a cab high camper on the rear and would be happy if it was higher than the front after. I may put the ICON 3 pack in, do you think it will raise it higher than the front with the spacer in? Also if you leave the overload in, it should raise the rear a little more right?

10. Feb 10, 2012 at 5:19 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Here is the thread on leaf spring refurbishing I referenced above.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/194386-tacoma-spring-refurbishing.html

Adding the Icon AAL with the overload leaf still in place would put you about 2" higher in the rear than you are now. The shell will squat it some but should still leave you a little higher in the rear than the front.

11. May 27, 2012 at 9:27 AM
    mlevinson

mlevinson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-Road
    Guys -

I've had my AAL installed for 2 years or so and recently I've noticed that the rear leafs are starting to twist (see pic).

[​IMG]

Has anyone else had something like this happen? I remember calling Icon and making sure that I was NOT supposed to include the factory overload spring. They said that was correct. Obviously the factory spring would have prevented this from happening since it has guides on each side which would keep them centered, the Icon's do not.

[​IMG]

Is it just me or does this seem very dangerous? I'd prefer not to have the overload spring since the ride is so nice, however I don't like worrying about my rear suspension. :(

Maybe I will try to find some sort of bracket that I can install which would keep the springs lined up.

Any input would be great. I will be contacting Icon on Tuesday but wanted to see if anyone else has seen this before I do.

Thanks!

12. May 27, 2012 at 9:49 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.

Just loosen the U bolts a bit, and hit the springs back inline with a hammer, and tighten the U bolts back up to 80 ft.-lbs.

13. May 27, 2012 at 9:53 AM
    g35man

g35man Discount Double Check

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    League City, TX
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DC 4x4 OR
    Icon Stage II lift kit, LR uca's, Weather Tech floor mats, FX-R retrofit, Morimoto factory fit LED fogs, flyzeye designs cup holder lights, wet okole seat covers, upgraded Entune system
    I have the 3 leaf pack with the overload still in place and my ride is super smooth. :cool:

Noahs2015Taco likes this.
  14. May 27, 2012 at 11:33 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    ^^This... That's why Chris makes the big bucks :)

15. May 28, 2012 at 7:05 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    My ICON 3 leaf is a recent purchase and nothing like what is described and pictured. First its SUPER rough unloaded. Second it has retaining clamps. Third... if you keep the add a leaf I cannot imagine the kick in the ass youd get in the rear compressing over bumps. My kit also came without quality instructions.

I put the long leaf to front... how about you guys. I put my brake line brackets on the included clamps but had to drill them to get them to fit. How abkut you guys? Third I cut the inner clamps on my TSB leaves to fit the three pack. How about you guys?

Perhaps it is the OME shocks that are what makes my rear so rough... what are you guys running?

16. May 28, 2012 at 11:27 PM
    benbacher

benbacher Purveyor of Fun Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma 4x4 LBDC SR5 TRD Sport
    Too many to list now.
    Interested in this setup. I'm looking at a stage 2 icon setup at dsm and was curious if the leaf pack would work with the TSB, pugga you said that's what you were running? I'd like extra hauling capacity so will this set up compare to expos or dakars or am I better off just getting one of those?

17. May 29, 2012 at 6:26 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Responses in red :cool:

The All-Pro Expo or the Dakars will support weight much better than the Icon AAL. I have the Icon 3-leaf installed in a full TSB pack (Overload leaf still in place) and it does support weight well but, due to it being a progressive leaf pack, it sags quite a bit initially when a load is added. I have had 1,000 lbs in the bed and towed over 3,000 lbs on a trailer and it handled both loads just fine but if you plan to do frequent heavy towing, I would go with a leaf pack that is better suited for the job. Most of my towing/hauling is short distances so the Icon 3-leaf was a good solution for me.

18. May 29, 2012 at 6:35 AM
    mlevinson

mlevinson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-Road
    Thanks Chris... I Did this over the weekend and all seems well. It seems like most of you guys are still running the overload spring, am I the only one who is not?

I REALLY like the way my suspension feels as is and really don't want to put it back in. The rear suspension seems to be much more active.

I'm still going to call Icon to see what they say.

19. May 29, 2012 at 6:57 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    I had the wheelers 3 pack in my last truck without the OL leaf and I loved it too. I hauled my 400ex 4 wheeler a few times and had no problems, I also hauled tree branches a few times and never had any problems.

if you like it then leave it out!

20. May 29, 2012 at 7:24 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Just remember eye protection mike !! :p:p

No overload here, just keep your shit tight & this................

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/220579-1-hour-spring-clamps.html

Products Discussed in

To Top