LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

CV boot rip temporary fix

Old 02-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #1
eeberleeber has much to be proud ofeeberleeber has much to be proud ofeeberleeber has much to be proud ofeeberleeber has much to be proud ofeeberleeber has much to be proud ofeeberleeber has much to be proud ofeeberleeber has much to be proud ofeeberleeber has much to be proud ofeeberleeber has much to be proud of
eeberleeber's Tacoma Gallery
CV boot rip temporary fix

Found my left outer cv boot had about a 1" tear along the outer edge of a rib over the weekend. Telltale signs of spewed grease were all around my wheel well.

Sooo, after checking it out and realizing it must've just happened and my boot wasn't completely torn all the way around, I thought I'd take a stab at pumping the boot back full of grease and sealing up the rip.

My only intention here was to see if I can get more life out of the axle before I eventually replace the entire assembly (when I have the coin). I'm not screwing around with rebooting it.

Tools used:
needle fitting for grease gun (any auto parts store has it)
moly grease
Marine GOOP
towels
rubbing alcohol

Read a thread on some other forum about using Shoe Goo or GOOP for this temp repair. I had an old tube of shoegoo, but wasn't confident that it had maintained its original binding strength, so picked up the Marine GOOP sealant. Similar stuff, possibly less flexible than shoegoo but UV resistant.

The needle fitting is key: I was able to pump the boot full of grease without ripping the boot any wider than the original 1-inch rip. Took a long time, natch. This thing almost looks like the air pump fitting you'd use to pump up a basketball or football. Sharp end, though, like a hypodermic needle and it's got a zerk end to fit to the grease gun.

Spent time cleaning the boot really well after it was refilled with grease. Used shop towels to get off the majority of the original grease that had shot all over the boot, then used rubbing alcohol to clean the rubber for the sealant.

Put a nice thick layer over my rip, with ample overlap, let it cure 12 hours and I'll be damned if it didn't hold! Just did my dd commute today, only 20 miles round trip, but was pleased to see the goop had adhered really well to the CV boot but has a rubbery texture, isn't hard or rigid like dried glue. Added another application tonight for good measure.

Again, this is certainly not meant as a final fix. But as it's worked well enough to get some extra miles out of my torn boot, might be worth a try if any of ya'll find yourself needed a temp fix for a torn boot and have the hours to let the stuff cure.

Sorry, no photos.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
Nice!
Old 02-08-2012, 04:14 AM   #3
eeberleeber has much to be proud ofeeberleeber has much to be proud ofeeberleeber has much to be proud ofeeberleeber has much to be proud ofeeberleeber has much to be proud ofeeberleeber has much to be proud ofeeberleeber has much to be proud ofeeberleeber has much to be proud ofeeberleeber has much to be proud of
here's a offsite link that lists the different properties of the goop products:
http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infadh/infgoo.html

also, the thread over at YT that clued me into using this stuff:
http://www.yotatech.com/f2/any-way-s...ge-yet-110561/

Not associated with the company that manufactures this stuff in any way, and for all I know there's other things out there that work as well or better (like swapping a new axle for instance..), but a glue/sealant with rubbery consistence is what seems to be needed since the boot is always flexing.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:31 AM   #4
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Not surprised.

On another note: When you do decide to replace the axle you're not gonna mess with re-booting, get in touch with me so we can discuss a fair price. I *will* mess with rebooting it.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:54 AM   #5
Sounds good. Where are you in NC? I grew up in Raleigh and visit family there a few times a year.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:29 AM   #6
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

North of Durham.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:13 PM   #7
I'll definitely get in touch next time I'm heading down after I have the axle swapped out.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #8
Update to old thread..

The Marine Goop fix lasted about 3 weeks. Not bad as a temp fix to keep you rolling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Not surprised.

On another note: When you do decide to replace the axle you're not gonna mess with re-booting, get in touch with me so we can discuss a fair price. I *will* mess with rebooting it.
I went with a CVJ replacement so mine went back for core charge.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #9
Poser Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeberleeber View Post
I went with a CVJ replacement so mine went back for core charge.
Boo.

But I understand.