Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Advice and input on setup

Old 02-09-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
SmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ryan
SmEYELey's Tacoma Gallery
Advice and input on setup

Hello everyone
Well, ive been lurking around here for sometime and have a setup and need your guys advice. this truck is a daily drive but at least once a month I go to the desert and mess around. The setup I was thinking was this, coilovers with resi (not sure what brand but leaning toward king), tc uca, and spindle. My questions are this:

1. I was thinking going with camburg spindles but was wondering with a stock rear I'm I going to get ridiculous reverse lean? I don't mind some but don't want to be looking at the sky all day while driving.

2. I want to set the coilovers at 0 and want the spindles to do the lifting, what kind of ride is this going to be? Is this a good idea for baja like offroading?

thats what I'm looking at right now. Just wanted to get some advice with all you smart people. Thank you for your input.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:52 AM   #2
nfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GSM1
Name: Chris
nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
Spindles keep stock geometry and just move the hub down, so your ride will be stock quality. And if you dont lift the rear your front end will be 4" higher than it is now, so if the rear is only 1" higher than the front right now that would be reversed. You would be 3" higher in the front.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
SmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shed
So even with different coilovers I shouldnt notice much ride difference in ride?
Old 02-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #4
nfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmEYELey View Post
So even with different coilovers I shouldnt notice much ride difference in ride?
I have zero experience with coilovers but from what have heard they are way better than springs and struts...
Old 02-09-2012, 11:16 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hello everyone
Well, ive been lurking around here for sometime and have a setup and need your guys advice. this truck is a daily drive but at least once a month I go to the desert and mess around. The setup I was thinking was this, coilovers with resi (not sure what brand but leaning toward king), tc uca, and spindle. My questions are this:

1. I was thinking going with camburg spindles but was wondering with a stock rear I'm I going to get ridiculous reverse lean? I don't mind some but don't want to be looking at the sky all day while driving.

2. I want to set the coilovers at 0 and want the spindles to do the lifting, what kind of ride is this going to be? Is this a good idea for baja like offroading?

thats what I'm looking at right now. Just wanted to get some advice with all you smart people. Thank you for your input.
The ride will be more firm and controlled. I'm not overly familiar with the valving and what options you can choose but that would obviously play into the ride you'll experience. You don't need new UCA's for alignment purposes because your stock geometry is retained with spindles. Is there another reason you're getting UCA's?

As mentioned above, the front will be 4" higher than it is now.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #6
Sweet you just saved me money pugga. I was getting uca for alignment purposes but I see what you guys are talking about with the spindles. I probaly get them but later on just to beef them up. Now I got to see what other spindles there are cause 3in higher seems to high. Then again I dont have the leaf tsb yet.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:21 PM   #7

nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
There are some spindles that are 3.5" but that is the smallest lift available... Maxtrac has the cheapest... they are 4" and $5-600. CST and Total Chaos are 3.5" but cost $1000+. Camburg has 4" and they are around $950.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #8
just ordered my coilovers. but they said with coilovers no matter how low i set them i'll lift the truck an inch. anyone running this setup with coilovers and spindles but stock rear? if so please post a pic
Old 02-21-2012, 12:23 AM   #9
also, i guess i'm going to be needing to get uca after all to keep the alignment good. anyone know where i can get some choas spindles for a good price?
Old 02-21-2012, 05:23 AM   #10
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
just ordered my coilovers. but they said with coilovers no matter how low i set them i'll lift the truck an inch. anyone running this setup with coilovers and spindles but stock rear? if so please post a pic
What coilovers did you get? I'm pretty sure you can get coilovers that don't have any lift. The adjustable ones with no preload should put you at 0 lift and be a significant ride improvement.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:38 AM   #11
I got kings with remote resis and ordered them from dsm
Old 02-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #12

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I got kings with remote resis and ordered them from dsm
If DSM told you they'll lift the truck an inch, even with the preload collar all the down, I'd listen to them. I thought you could dial them down so you'd be at stock height.

Very nice set-up by the way!
Old 02-21-2012, 09:49 AM   #13
thanks pugga, now I'm torn between camburg or tc spindles. Plus now Im going to need to get uca as well
Old 02-21-2012, 09:53 AM   #14

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
thanks pugga, now I'm torn between camburg or tc spindles. Plus now Im going to need to get uca as well
Even if you get 1" of lift, you won't need new UCA's for that. Stock still has enough adjustment to get your alignment within spec.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:05 AM   #15
When I called dsm the other day I explained what I had and what I wanted and they recommended I get ucas if ima go the route I'm going
Old 02-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #16

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
When I called dsm the other day I explained what I had and what I wanted and they recommended I get ucas if ima go the route I'm going
An aftermarket Uni-ball allows for better articulation and some have better clearance (don't stick out as far as the stock UCA's). Maybe someone with your set-up will chime in, I don't know all the ins and outs of spindles

Nice setup, good luck with the build!
Old 02-21-2012, 10:43 AM   #17
Ya before I install everything though I'm trying to picture the front being 4 inches higher then rear cause I dont want ridiculous reverse lean. on paper it sounds a lot but I'm thinking its not going to be that bad. Just need that find someone on here that can post pics of a similar setup
Old 02-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #18

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ya before I install everything though I'm trying to picture the front being 4 inches higher then rear cause I dont want ridiculous reverse lean. on paper it sounds a lot but I'm thinking its not going to be that bad. Just need that find someone on here that can post pics of a similar setup
Worst case, get a couple jacks and jack the frame up so the top of the fender is 4" higher than it sits currently. Your stock suspension should droop quite a bit so your tires shouldn't be too far off the ground. It'll at least give you a visual of the reverse lean you'll have if no one has pictures.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #19
Didn't even think about that. Good idea