Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Problem Installing 885 Springs Not Compressing

Old 02-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #1
Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Retribution
Drunknsloth's Tacoma Gallery
Problem Installing 885 Springs Not Compressing

So I'm using this method here

But I put in the 885 coils with the billys at 0" and the 885 doesn't compress enough for me to bolt the lower control arm back on to the hub assembly. Once the lower control arm is about 1/2" from where you bolt it to the hub assembly the Jack starts lifting the entire truck.

Any tips?
Old 02-10-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
Pull the uca down.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #4
wes mantooth ™
Joben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: I Babysit Adults
Name: Joben
Joben7726's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
Pull the uca down.
X2.

If you haven't done it yet, pull the lines off of the UCA so it drops down lower. This may help.

What type of spring compressor are you using?
Old 02-10-2012, 06:07 PM   #5
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Don't need to take the lines off the uca the way he is doing it.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:10 PM   #6
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Have a fatass sit in the cab while your jacking it up?
Old 02-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #7
Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Retribution
Drunknsloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomanator View Post
Have a fatass sit in the cab while your jacking it up?
I'm considering it, do you think that it is just the weight problem? I saw your response on another thread using this method. What spring-shock combo do you have?
Old 02-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #9
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunknsloth View Post
I'm considering it, do you think that it is just the weight problem? I saw your response on another thread using this method. What spring-shock combo do you have?
I have 885's and 5100's. I have Camburg uca's, though. Not sure if that would make a difference when jacking it up.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #10

Firefighter:
Quote:
I'm not sure I know what lines you are talking about...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomanator View Post
I have 885's and 5100's. I have Camburg uca's, though. Not sure if that would make a difference when jacking it up.
Dude you don't need to do anything to the uca except push it down to close that gap you're talking about. It's easier when you have two people to do it this method. Did you even look at my write up in my build thread that I told you about in the last thread regarding this method you started awhile ago?
Old 02-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #11
wes mantooth ™
Joben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Don't need to take the lines off the uca the way he is doing it.
Nevermind. I watched his video that he's using.

Quote:
I'm not sure I know what lines you are talking about...
It doesn't matter. You are doing it a totally different way.

I would just go rent a spring compressor from the auto parts store. Most likely your best bet at this point.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #12

Firefighter:
My apologies that wasn't you in this thread http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...lp-please.html

Sorry.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:22 PM   #13

Firefighter:
When the jack is raising the lca back up, you need to pull the uca down right before the point the jack starts to raise the truck.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #14
wes mantooth ™
Quote:
My apologies that wasn't you in this thread http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...lp-please.html

Sorry.
Lol^^^^^^
Old 02-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #15

Firefighter:
Haha.

At least I said sorry!
Old 02-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #17

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davtopgun View Post
Put a jack under the LCA and jack it up into place.
He is, but before it fully compresses the spring the last inch, it starts to jack the truck up, so he has to pull the uca down before it starts to jack the truck up to close theglastonbury inch of the gap so he can put the bolts in. That last part is a two man job, lining the holes up while someone puts the bolt in,
Old 02-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #18
wes mantooth ™
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davtopgun View Post
Put a jack under the LCA and jack it up into place.
I believe he has tried that, but the coil wont compress enough.

The issue is, the OME coils are longer that the eibach coils, so most don't realize that it will be harder to compress them.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:30 PM   #19

Firefighter:
It's actually pretty easy. I have the same set up and had the same problem till we pulled the uca down.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #20
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Rent a normal spring compressor from Advanced Auto or Autozone and get it done. The method you're using never seemed like a good idea to me when dealing with stiffer lift coils. I know it's worked for some, but I'd rather compress the springs with a compressor or pay a shop to assemble the coilover.