Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

king vs. icon vs. fox racing coilovers

Old 02-27-2013, 03:04 AM   #181
PMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PMK's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
Sorry for not clarifying that. I mostly only pay attention to 2.5" + shocks.
AFAIK, ICON 2.0 VS series body's are aluminum.
As for Fox 2.0s, I can't tell you for fact whether it's Aluminum or Steel, but as I read it they are "Zinc plated, honed seamless alloy bodies." Given this description I would say steel as you normally don't see zinc plating on aluminum.
Agree, that's what makes it confusing...somewhere else on their (Fox) website it started discussing how the aluminum bodies dissipate heat better. If they are aluminum body, I hope they are hard coat anodized.

The aluminum body pertains to Fox Performance series front or rear.

http://www.ridefox.com/product.php?m...p=8&ref=filter

http://www.ridefox.com/product.php?m...ota&ref=filter

Yes the Icon 2,0 is aluminum bodied per their webpage.

http://www.iconvehicledynamics.com/s...minum-Shocks-/

PK
Old 02-27-2013, 03:11 AM   #182
PMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PMK's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullaculla View Post
When you are ready to install your shocks, get a fully threaded bolt, preferably NF, put some molylube on it, run it through two nuts inside of the mount and use the nuts to jack the mount open. It's really tight.
Or just put the head of the bolt on the inside with just one nut, but it's easier with two.

Anyway, back on topic, i guess fox changed the coil adjustment ring. All the pics or fox coilovers I see around here has a lockring. Now the upper coil retaining ring is split and has a bolt to clamp it down after you've made your adjustments. Much better than a double nut/lockring IMO.

FWIW, the double locknut can be a PIA, but is the best setup.

Some KTM dirtbikes use the pinch bolt design and it will distort the shock body by slightly crushing it. Not much but it is a precision bore internally. The problem is even worse since early KTM shocks were steel bodies, new models are aluminum bodies, so not only will it crush easier but also the threads gall.

PK
Old 02-27-2013, 07:49 AM   #183
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I'm used to the double nut from my motorcycle days too, but the fox 2.5 coil overs are steel bodied. So are the 2.0 shocks in the rear. And you don't really need to dog them down. I'll snug them down good and mark it to see if they move.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:09 PM   #184
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
When you are ready to install your shocks, get a fully threaded bolt, preferably NF, put some molylube on it, run it through two nuts inside of the mount and use the nuts to jack the mount open. It's really tight.
Or just put the head of the bolt on the inside with just one nut, but it's easier with two.
Here are some pics. I used a breaker bar to hold the bolt, then cranked on one of the nuts with a wrench. I measured the shock bushing with my cheapy caliper(all my starrett and mitutoyos are at work), and got 1.375"
You have to open it up way past that because it will spring back. I opened it up to around 1.500"

After releasing the bolt, it sprang back down to 1.379" in the front. It was still a little small towards the back closer to the welds, but the shock still slipped right in.

Hope this helps somebody
Old 02-27-2013, 04:37 PM   #185
My boys need a house.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks. I'll use that tip soon.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:04 PM   #186

Also, on the rear shock passenger side, I mounted the resi toward the back. It seemed to have more clearance than forward. The driver side is facing front tho. I'll probably flip it forward after I get my spidertrax.
I'll be driving around with just the ass up in the air for a few days just to make sure I have no vibes. I got 2" of lift with the Icon 3 leaf mini pack.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #187
Somebody call for a Wambulance?
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Mitch
Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I got 2" of lift with the Icon 3 leaf mini pack.
Same with me
Old 03-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Same with me
Is that with, or without the overload?
Mine is without, and I will probably put it back on once it settles. I want to raise the front some more, but its level now. I don't want any bro lean.

umm... BTW, go to google images and search for "bro lean"
there is a few disturbing images there among a bunch of tacomas...
Old 03-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #189
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Is that with, or without the overload?
Mine is without, and I will probably put it back on once it settles. I want to raise the front some more, but its level now. I don't want any bro lean.

umm... BTW, go to google images and search for "bro lean"
Mine is without the overload.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:53 PM   #190

BTW, I just got one of these in the mail from ebay. Works great, but pin is a little tight.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CBM-10922-Bi...21067967207%26
Old 03-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #191
My boys need a house.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
BTW, go to google images and search for "bro lean"
Some of us had a hand in helping Jason (jberry) attain the coveted top spot.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:02 PM   #192

Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
BTW, I just got one of these in the mail from ebay. Works great, but pin is a little tight.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CBM-10922-Bi...21067967207%26
Good luck using that while the shocks are on the truck.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:08 PM   #193
Cuz Stock Sucks!
SDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SDHQ OFFROAD's Tacoma Gallery
If you guys need spanners, we have them for every shock brand, and at better price then above, not to mention the TW Forum discount.

http://sdhqoffroad.com/ShockTools.aspx
Old 03-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #194
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet I need one for my kings I want to lower them a little bit now that I've trimmed everything
Old 03-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Good luck using that while the shocks are on the truck.
I used it. It will only turn it about 1/8 of a turn, but it works

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDHQ OFFROAD View Post
If you guys need spanners, we have them for every shock brand, and at better price then above, not to mention the TW Forum discount.

http://sdhqoffroad.com/ShockTools.aspx
Damn, now you tell me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
Some of us had a hand in helping Jason (jberry) attain the coveted top spot.
I wasn't talking about the truck pics
Old 03-05-2013, 03:45 PM   #196
Cuz Stock Sucks!
SDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SDHQ OFFROAD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
Sweet I need one for my kings I want to lower them a little bit now that I've trimmed everything
Swing on by. the Sway-A-Way's work on the Kings. Pretty much any 2.5" pin style will work.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #197

Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I used it. It will only turn it about 1/8 of a turn, but it works
Damn, now you tell me...
I use one of these. Seems to work the best for me

http://s.sears.com/is/image/Sears/00...0&op_sharpen=1
Old 03-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #198
My boys need a house.

Quote:
I wasn't talking about the truck pics
I should've been more specific. Try "tacoma bro lean". There's our boy!

Old 03-06-2013, 10:21 AM   #199
Direct Representative
ICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant future

ICONRep's Tacoma Gallery
Little delay....been out at Tierra Del Sol and catching up, but here is some of what has been asked and working on more for you all.

What sets ICON apart from King and Fox and why some people believe it is what makes ICON one of the best out there:

ICON Builds shocks specifically for street vehicles, which has been our "bread and butter" business since day one. It is what we do and there are many people out there using ICON suspension because it is a good product. Our product is not cheap, it is more expensive than most other shocks, not because we are gouging and trying to get every penny we can but because the cost of our shocks is greater than most other manufacturers.

Quality of Components and Materials:
ICON uses similar materials as the other shock companies out there: 6061 Aluminum, 7075 Aluminum, 1026 DOM Honed Tubing etc.

- Floating Piston - 6061 Aluminum
-Two Piece Main Piston - 6061 Aluminum.
-Reservoirs - 6063 Aluminum - Clear Anodized
- Valve Shims - Sandvik 20C
-Seals & O-Rings - Urethane, Viton, Nitrile, etc…from all manufacturers:
SKF, Disogrin, Parker, Trelleborg etc.

Appearance: In my opinion and I would think many others, our shocks not only look great but are different in appearance from most other shocks out there. It is the little details that we include where you would normally have to pay extra at other manufactures, like polished Rod Ends, Polished Top Caps, Black anodized components etc. that puts a nice final touch on the product.

Special Features:
Our shocks are designed to be more space efficient than most other shocks on the market, meaning more travel in less space.

The two piece billet piston allows a two face digressive design without using a casting or powdered metal piston. The advantage of a digressive piston is the wide range of tune-ablity at lower shaft speeds that is not available with the industry standard linear piston. What does this translate to? Less body roll and increased stability which is why we feel we are second to none in ride control when it comes to large mono-tube shock absorbers.

There are cases where a linear piston has advantages and ICON has linear piston designs that are used in certain applications but for the majority of ICON applications we feel the two piece digressive piston is the key to ICON’s exceptional ride and handling.

Our "Bumpzone" option is featured on all of our Piggyback Reservoir Applications and an option on Remote Reservoir Applications. The last two inches (on most applications) of compression travel will have a 20% increase in compression damping which assists in bottom out control. No other shock manufacturer offers this as a standard feature.

Our Swivel Manifold option assists in positioning a shocks reservoir in compact spaces and is adjustable after purchase if need be. This not only looks awesome, it sets ICON apart from anything out there...

Maintenance: ICON shocks are not difficult to rebuild if you have rebuilt shocks before. Setting piston depths and oiling the shocks is no different than any other shock on the market.. ICON has a couple techniques to make the job easier, but anyone who knows shocks will have their own tricks. Any ICON customer is encouraged to call and ask for a technical representative to learn the tricks if they desire.

As far as tools go, you may not be able to rebuild it completely using a crescent wrench but with a spanner wrench, a pick, and a rubber mallet the job can be completed professionally in a simple garage vise. Charging the shock requires a nitrogen tank with the appropriate fill tool available from ICON or a standard air chuck. ICON uses charge ports on all non reservoir shocks for their very low profile and superior seal-ability to that of a standard tank valve. Standard tank valves are offered on remote reservoir applications but can also be added to non reservoir applications by request. Both valves can be purchased at any time through ICON.

ICON’s CDC (Compression Damping Control) Valve: The CDC Piston and valving are tune-able for whatever application it is being installed on. What does this mean? This means ICON can tune a shock with a CDC valve that can go firmer or softer than a shock that is not equipped with a CDC Valve. An external adjuster works via oil flow restriction and ICON’s CDC Valve is tuned in two ways. The first is the knob itself which controls a bleed barrel controlling how much oil can flow into the reservoir before reaching a certain blow off pressure pressure, After a certain pressure is reached the piston inside the CDC Valve assembly has a valve stack matched to the specific application and that valve stack will open up letting the oil bypass the bleed barrel and flow into the reservoir. On rebound the flow is checked and flows freely back to the shock cylinder as the shaft extends. If flow was limited on rebound it would starve the shock causing a vacuum and cavitation occurs. Adding a compression adjuster to any shock without changing the baseline valving on the working piston will make the shock stiffer, even on the softest setting. ICON’s CDC Valve equipped shocks have a different valve code than a non CDC Valve shock, they also require less nitrogen pressure since pressure is built at the CDC Valve. Why is ICON’s CDC Valve so great? The internal tuning (blow off pressure) is matched to the application based on vehicle weight, motion ratio and shock shaft size. Why would you want the same CDC Valve valving on a Tacoma front coilover that goes on a Ford Superduty front shock? You don’t - but if you buy brand XYZ compression adjuster upgrade do they ask you anything about your application other than shock size or do they just collect your money and say thanks?

Serial Numbers: Our shocks are serialized to track revision, seals used, valving, all the way down to which one of our technicians assembled and packaged the shock. This aids in future customer service or warranty claims and helps the end user identify what they have.

ICON products are 100% designed, manufactured and assembled in the USA. ICON and its sister companies make 95% of the parts that go into an ICON packaged good in Riverside, CA. ICON. Since the majority of ICON products are made local, it is easy to control quality, handling and delivery.

All this back and forth does feel a little like the 3rd Degree. We at ICON understand completely of wanting to know as much about a product as possible before buying it, and not just getting the wink and the gun salesman sayings it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. There are many shock companies out there, more and more each year, and details like this get lost in the mix of all the chatter back and forth.

The ICON difference is we sell performance suspension packages that are tailor made and designed in conjunction with other vehicle specific suspension components, not just shocks that fit the lengths required. There are fabrication experts making components and shock experts making shocks, ICON does both as a performance suspension and shock manufacturer. We have a great engineering staff that is not just book smart, but are avid offroad enthusiast that are involved with real life experiences. Another important fact to keep in mind is that a vehicles ride is subjective, features are not, and ICON suspension systems across the board are hands down comprised of more individual features that work together in unison than any other brand.

I hope the info helps and is a start to what you all are after.....I will work with the team here to keep it up.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #200
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICONRep View Post
ICON Builds shocks specifically for street vehicles
This is the key. All of the stuff you mentioned really pertains to street driving. Once you go full off road on a vehicle the "base" valving isnt going to be spot on anyway, most people valve based on terrain and driving style, not just weight and size. My shocks were made to fit correctly so I don't get benefits from swivel parts, I am a believer of progressive over digressive, and I have bump stops so I don't need a bump zone in my shock. My shocks come apart with simple tools too so no gain there. Sorry I just don't see anything that makes them worth being "more expensive than most other shocks", but that is my opinion