1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

king vs. icon vs. fox racing coilovers

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by SoCalTacos, Feb 10, 2012.

?

Coilover Preference?

1. Fox Racing

227 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Icon

291 vote(s)
    32.0%
  3. King

341 vote(s)
    37.6%
  4. ADS

49 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. Oct 14, 2014 at 12:13 PM
    slcsez2000

slcsez2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    Exterior: -Current Suspension- Icon extended travel front struts w/ 700lb coils Icon extended travel Remote Resi rear shocks Dakar leaf pack Icon Tubular UCAs with covers Icon neoprene shock covers -OEM Roof Rack -2 fold down cup holders in bed -Bed bottle opener -Access lite rider roll up tonneau cover -AFE Prodry air filter -Pop and lock bed lock -Rear differential breather relocation mod (behind tail light) -Aeroturbine 2525XL Muffler Armor: -SOS Concepts bolt on sliders W/ kick out -SOS Concepts aluminum front bumper with full hoops -SOS Concepts Rear HC Bumper -SOS Concepts IFS/Mid skids

I was looking at those but wanted a little more travel and length if possible. Do you know the specs of the 2.0 w/ resi? I can't find thier lengths, travel etc anywhere.

2. Oct 14, 2014 at 2:00 PM
    CanadaToy

CanadaToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OR Alpine
    TRD Pro grille & skid, OEM tonneau and roof racks
    What you are trying to say is that they are guilty of association. You're putting these hardworking guys and girls down because their old boss was a terrible person. How would you like it if YOUR boss was the pedophile, and even though you are now at a different company, it's your fault you worked for him in the past and learned some ideas from him?

Maybe the money that ICON paid to Donahoe is being used to help kids in similar situations - would you not approve of that? They also needed the equipment / etc. from them. Kind of expensive buying that stuff brand new where you could buy it from your old employer for pennies on the dollar. Who knows, maybe down the street another shop was getting out of business, but their owner was a serial rapist, but of course they didn't know about it. I guess in your eyes they would still be blamed?

ICON took what Donahoe was (very small, served only taco's from what i remember) to a large company serving many different models with customer service second to none. The people running the company clearly care, and while they openly admit what happen in the past, because they are comfortable with themselves that they had nothing to do with it. Hell they even honored the warranty on donahoe products - i've never heard of a company doing that. hell, when vermont castings was bought out, they stopped warrantying any BBQ's made by the previous company, even though they had a 10 year warranty. They even stopped making the parts for them!

Quit being so ignorant and open your mind.

3. Oct 14, 2014 at 2:21 PM
    SDHQ OFFROAD

SDHQ OFFROAD Cuz Stock Sucks! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    SALES
    Gilbert AZ
    2.0's are 28/18 If i recall correctly. Ill try to get back and measure this afternoon

4. Oct 14, 2014 at 3:07 PM
    slcsez2000

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    Exterior: -Current Suspension- Icon extended travel front struts w/ 700lb coils Icon extended travel Remote Resi rear shocks Dakar leaf pack Icon Tubular UCAs with covers Icon neoprene shock covers -OEM Roof Rack -2 fold down cup holders in bed -Bed bottle opener -Access lite rider roll up tonneau cover -AFE Prodry air filter -Pop and lock bed lock -Rear differential breather relocation mod (behind tail light) -Aeroturbine 2525XL Muffler Armor: -SOS Concepts bolt on sliders W/ kick out -SOS Concepts aluminum front bumper with full hoops -SOS Concepts Rear HC Bumper -SOS Concepts IFS/Mid skids
    yes this is what I am afraid of :( Just checking and double checking to squeeze as much flex as I can out of those bastards and get as much travel as possible

5. Oct 14, 2014 at 3:10 PM
    Mademan925

Mademan925 Senor Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 TRD OFFROAD DCSB
    enough to go over stuff
    Shock relocation.... Its on my list when I go LT upfront. Just need more money...

6. Oct 14, 2014 at 3:22 PM
    slcsez2000

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    well I want to do it all right this one time. Not doing this a third time and keep pissing away $ lol. I have been thinking of a shackle flip to get more flex. I really don't seeing me needing LT ever honestly.:rolleyes:

7. Oct 14, 2014 at 3:29 PM
    Mademan925

Mademan925 Senor Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    enough to go over stuff
    I understand. Everytime I get something I want something better. Its a curse. I just want more reach. Planning on a plus 2 LT kit up front and a bamf relocation in the rear instead of a LT rear end cuz I dont want to give up bed space and I dont need the up travel. The 10 inch shock wont allow you to utilize the full flex of the dakar pack. the only you can max out the leaf pack is a shock relocation and 12 inch shocks.

8. Oct 14, 2014 at 3:37 PM
    slcsez2000

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    I am the same damn way! It really pisses me off I am never satisfied lol It is just the way of the world that has gotten to me.
    I just hate to spend this much on a setup just to want something with more travel later. I mean my OME entire setup is only like 6 months old lol

9. Oct 14, 2014 at 3:44 PM
    Mademan925

Mademan925 Senor Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    enough to go over stuff
    Sounds like its time to upgrade. I only made it like six months with my toytec setup.

10. Oct 14, 2014 at 3:44 PM
    catattacksdog

catattacksdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Not Steve
    Not Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    07 dc
    Call Down South. They ordered me a custom set of Icon's in the same length it sounds like you are looking for. the travel comes out to something similar to 10.8" in travel. The custom shocks were only $315 each, with RR

11. Oct 14, 2014 at 3:47 PM
    SDHQ OFFROAD

SDHQ OFFROAD Cuz Stock Sucks! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    SALES
    Gilbert AZ
    2.0 Ext. travel Icon's are an 11" stroke. Just measured them. 28/17

12. Oct 22, 2014 at 4:38 AM
    Pcyc

Pcyc Self Proclaimed Leader

Member:
    First Name:
    Fritz
    Concord, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD OR - Supercharged - Dual Cased - Twin Sticked
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/pcyc-fj40-build.444289/ https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/pcycs-2nd-gen-build.308160/
    So I am between the following:

King 2.5" with resivors front and rear.
    Icon 2.5" (possibly cdc valving)
    Full leaf pack - alan, Dakar or all pro

Have this currently:
    Wheelers hd aal
    All pro UCA's
    Billy 1500's

I am not happy with the unbalanced Billy's. I want a smooth shock on and offroad.

10% mild off road 90% on road.
    I want to buy once and be done. Any suggestion welcome. I have been flip flopping based on this thread. One page I am all about king. Then the next I am on icon. As always price is a factor, however there are some group buys on icon that makes them the same price as kings.

13. Oct 22, 2014 at 4:40 AM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    Honestly it's just 'pick your color/brand'. Everyone will tell you 'this brand is better than this brand, I ran these and they sucked and i ran these and will never go back". Just pick what feels good to you based on what you've read and enjoy. All of those choices you listed will end up in a good ride for you.

14. Dec 2, 2014 at 3:39 AM
    monstajp

monstajp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joshua
    las vegas
    Vehicle:
    2011 trd sport debadged
    Debadged, Blacked Out Taillights and 3rd Brakelight , Blacked Out Grille, Blacked Out Lower Valence, Hot Wheels Badges, Yellow Fog Lights, Rims and Tires. Undercover Swing Case, Pop-A-Lock on my Tailgate, N-FAB Step Bars, Extang Trifecta Bed cover, Aero Cat- Back Exhaust, PIAA Extreme white 4000k Bulbs, Readylift 2.25 Leveling Kit.
    HOLY F*CK !!!
    I just read this whole thread,full of facts, opinions, and emotions.it was a lot to take in.Respect to icon for actually posting. I'm still torn between king and icon but I think I prefer reservoirs over piggybacks. Either way it doesn't matter because I will be putting them on a more family friendly trail edition 4Runner and I will be purchasing the shocks through the dealership so that everything is warrantied through Toyota and I can finance the whole thing together in my monthly payments. I love my taco but I have no room in my back seat for 2 kids and my backpack and groceries . it sucks but I'm tired of my things bouncing and rolling around in my truck bed (And I want to get 4wd). Great thread. ironically , I found it lurking around the T4R forum.:D

15. Jan 1, 2015 at 10:33 AM
    Super Taco

Super Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    UNR (Reno)
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport DCLB MGM
    ARB Bumper, THULE Bed Rack, PIAA 6000K LEDs, Custom SpinTech Exhaust
    So I came to this thread looking for the info to go solidly with one brand, however, I'm thoroughly lost now:confused: So, King's website has me clicking in circles with no apparent end in site, could someone help point me to an ext travel, 3" lift front and rear from them, do the offer full kits like Icon does? I may end up with glass and larger tires than 33's as well, so I wanted to factor that in too. Also, I tend to beat up my truck quite a bit offroad and am pretty tired with having to be bounced around on my factory suspension. I am on a tight budget, but I don't want to sacrifice quality for price. I've been looking into Icon for awhile, but now King has wiggled it's way into the equation. Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated:eek:

16. Jan 1, 2015 at 12:49 PM
    teneighty

teneighty I'd rather be skiing...

Member:
    Right behind you. NY
    Vehicle:
    18’ F150 SCREW LB 3.5 EcoBoost
    Bilstein 5100’s (x4), 275/65/20 Cooper XLT AT3’s
    Good bump! ^^
    I'd like to hear some more feedback on corrosion and maintenance in wintery salt/sanded road areas. I like and want the adjustable compression on whichever shock I choose.

17. Jan 1, 2015 at 1:13 PM
    Mitch

Mitch Somebody call for a Wambulance?

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    Lights, Siren, Drugs, Needles, Electricity
    Easy to prevent that stuff with the shock wraps

18. Jan 1, 2015 at 1:23 PM
    teneighty

teneighty I'd rather be skiing...

Member:
    Right behind you. NY
    Vehicle:
    18’ F150 SCREW LB 3.5 EcoBoost
    Bilstein 5100’s (x4), 275/65/20 Cooper XLT AT3’s
    Yeah, idk... I've seen them but I can't see them holding up to the elements around here... I'd have to replace them every year I bet

19. Jan 1, 2015 at 2:47 PM
    Super Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    UNR (Reno)
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport DCLB MGM
    Thanks! I think after a few hours of research I'm sold on Kings, I just need to figure out which setup:D:confused::D I believe that someone addresses those issues within the first few pages btw

20. Jan 1, 2015 at 2:59 PM
    Super Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    UNR (Reno)
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport DCLB MGM
    There ya go

To Top