Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

king vs. icon vs. fox racing coilovers

Old 02-11-2012, 12:07 PM   #41
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMurphy View Post
Icon's look great and are probably a perfect fit for most people. NOT as heavy duty as KING or FOX but very sexy. IMO biggest weakness is the design of the top plate. I have been contemplating these to run on my truck but 2 out of the 3 people that I know that have run these have cracked one of the top plates - one toasted his coil bucket. Great people to deal with. Currently, THEY DO NOT BUILD RACE SHOCKS - their market is to make Factory Replacements. If you run hard, think twice. If you plan on rebuilding your shocks, IIRC their kit is about 2x the cost of FOX or KING. If you want them to rebuild them, they do their rebuilding on Tuesdays so get them in accordingly. Once again, they are a smaller company and as such they are far more nimble and easier to deal with. They use a 14 inch spring which is not as common as 16" springs - but I am sure you'll be able to locate them.

KING - they are the King. Look at most top race trucks and buggies. Very good support. Very knowledgeable staff. Have LOTS of off road experience.

FOX - Very good racing shocks with the exception that they use steel in places where KING uses aluminum. Something to be mindful of if you live in a place where the local road crews think that roads are like meat and should be salted to bring out the best! Biggest problem with FOX is that the government contracts that they have been blessed with has hosed many of us with delayed deliveries that get delayed again. IIRC, these guys are the biggest and as such - don't expect much from the factory.

I personally think KINGs are probably the best shock out there and hey if you like them in a different color (I'm partial to black) they will make them in your color for another $300.

With regard to who to buy them from? Well, I have personal experience with Down South Motor Sports and SDHQ and they are both very good. (Your mileage will vary)
just an FYI... Icon shocks are used in off road racing. some dez teams and some short course teams use them. like you said though, they are a much smaller company and are still working on establishing themselves as a major player. their speciality is the OE replacement market.

http://www.iconvehicledynamics.com/n...12-parker-425/

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/ico...en-rd-3-a.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTacos View Post
If I do get the kings...I'm assuming the extended travel might be a bit better for my freeway concerns? But with those and new uca's, does that mean my tires would rub at top with the extra inch down travel? And if so would I need some new front glasswork done?
Time on TW ...about three months...money spent...about $7000.00 so far. This place is getting expensive.
king does not offer an ext travel version of their OE 05+ CO. you coul get one custom built if you wanted, but the extra tiny bit of down travel won't be worth the $$$. ext travel CO's should only be run with an after market uni ball UCA, never with the stock upper arm or ball joint
Old 02-11-2012, 12:09 PM   #42
Xbox GT: Yodaman8806
Underdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Ground Support Shop Foreman/HAZMAT NCO, 1916 SPT BTN, 699th Maintenance Co.
Name: Matt
Underdog777's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If I do get the kings...I'm assuming the extended travel might be a bit better for my freeway concerns? But with those and new uca's, does that mean my tires would rub at top with the extra inch down travel? And if so would I need some new front glasswork done?
Time on TW ...about three months...money spent...about $7000.00 so far. This place is getting expensive.
If you do a cab mount chop you'll be fine. Do you plan on setting them up with preload or running stock height? W/O glass I believe you can run a 285 fine (someone correct me please if I'm wrong).
Old 02-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #43
Penis Bird
SoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SoCalTacos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog777 View Post
If you do a cab mount chop you'll be fine. Do you plan on setting them up with preload or running stock height? W/O glass I believe you can run a 285 fine (someone correct me please if I'm wrong).
I wanna run em as close to the 2.5-3" as possible. I would consider running 285 after I wear these ko's out.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #45
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__VQX2Xn7tI

If that seems like a lot of money... consider a train set. ... I am not opposed to train sets! I contemplate selling my trucks and getting a train set nearly every week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson18matt View Post
just an FYI... Icon shocks are used in off road racing. some dez teams and some short course teams use them. like you said though, they are a much smaller company and are still working on establishing themselves as a major player. their speciality is the OE replacement market.

http://www.iconvehicledynamics.com/n...12-parker-425/

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/ico...en-rd-3-a.html
Okay let me clarify. Their heritage and drive is not racing - they will tell you that as well. They focus on the niche that is not as addressed by KING or FOX. The shocks you are contemplating are not 'Racing Shocks.' If you buy KING or FOX, you are buying the same shocks that have experienced competitive racing such as Baja and are 'Race Shocks.' I personally would love to see them get into Baja and such but for right now I do admire their sexiness!
Old 02-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #46
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

If you want to save some money, I have a pair of Camburgs that have about 4,000 miles on them. Where in SoCal are you?
Old 02-11-2012, 12:56 PM   #47
Penis Bird
SoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SoCalTacos's Tacoma Gallery
Well...that's $7000 in three months. Since I stopped lurking and joined. If it wasn't a brand new truck I'd have replaced body parts already, as well.
Train sets can be expensive as well.
Regarding your camburgs...remote resi or not? I don't recall em making resi co.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:57 PM   #48
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFF BILL View Post
Another thing: unless you're really putting your suspension through its paces, there's no need for reservoir shocks other than bling factor.

If you want a smoother highway ride, check your tire pressure. Mid 30's seems to be popular for a lot of people. I personally run mine in the mid 40's minimum.

Won't the resi keep the temps down prolonging the life of the fluid and seals thus extending the time between rebuilds?

Are Icons steel bodies or aluminum?

Like Roger said I know for a fact the Fox is steel and uncoated so they rust to crap after 1 season in the salt belt. Not a good design (in my region) when you try to adjust them and the threads and collars are welded together by rust.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #49
Ban Pending

Quote:
Well...that's $7000 in three months. Since I stopped lurking and joined. If it wasn't a brand new truck I'd have replaced body parts already, as well.
Train sets can be expensive as well.
Regarding your camburgs...remote resi or not? I don't recall em making resi co.
UCA s- not shocks
Old 02-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #50
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMurphy View Post
UCA s- not shocks

Are your Icon's steel?
Old 02-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #51
Ban Pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Are your Icon's steel?
The resi cans are aluminum - very sexy at that (nice ribs to hold the clamps in place). The bodys look like aluminum. I know the FOXs are steel. I think I need to get rid of a few trucks! lol
Old 02-11-2012, 01:07 PM   #52
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
To answer the OP:

Pick a color.

Any of the "big three" are fine for bolt-on replacement uses. If you need anything beefier than these, the rest of your suspension is going to have to go as well, and you're probably going to need some custom fabrication and bypass shocks.

King and Fox may be "race shocks", but the rest of the truck from factory isn't ready for that kind of punishment.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:16 PM   #53
Ban Pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
To answer the OP:

Pick a color.

Any of the "big three" are fine for bolt-on replacement uses. If you need anything beefier than these, the rest of your suspension is going to have to go as well, and you're probably going to need some custom fabrication and bypass shocks.

King and Fox may be "race shocks", but the rest of the truck from factory isn't ready for that kind of punishment.
^^^^^ WHAT HE SAID!!!

Think Train Set! lol
Old 02-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #54
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
FOX ftw
Old 02-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #55
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

You know, one thing that has always bugged me about the resi designs of shocks for these trucks is they never mount in a location with clearance.

The foxes you posted, for example (and King uses the same method), are going to get creamed by an oversized tire at full stuff, full lock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pataco View Post
FOX ftw

Icon does a little bit better by tilting the reservoir up and shoving it upward in the wheel well:

But that's still not ideal. What I would like to see is a system that mounts the resis inside the frame in the engine bay. There is space in there; the install would be a little tougher, but still not horrible.

I wonder if you can mount the fox/king resis on the OPPOSITE side of the brackets? You can't with Icon...there isn't clearance high up behind the fenderwell...but maybe down lower?
Old 02-11-2012, 08:30 PM   #56
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You know, one thing that has always bugged me about the resi designs of shocks for these trucks is they never mount in a location with clearance.

The foxes you posted, for example (and King uses the same method), are going to get creamed by an oversized tire at full stuff, full lock.

Icon does a little bit better by tilting the reservoir up and shoving it upward in the wheel well:

But that's still not ideal. What I would like to see is a system that mounts the resis inside the frame in the engine bay. There is space in there; the install would be a little tougher, but still not horrible.

I wonder if you can mount the fox/king resis on the OPPOSITE side of the brackets? You can't with Icon...there isn't clearance high up behind the fenderwell...but maybe down lower?
Couldn't do that with kings. The bracket doubles as a sway bar relocate
Old 02-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #57
Xbox GT: Yodaman8806
Underdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Ground Support Shop Foreman/HAZMAT NCO, 1916 SPT BTN, 699th Maintenance Co.
Name: Matt
Underdog777's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrande View Post
What is this "sway bar" you speak of? It it the curvy thing I took off and left in my garage with a for sale tag on it?
Old 02-11-2012, 09:54 PM   #58
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog777 View Post
What is this "sway bar" you speak of? It it the curvy thing I took off and left in my garage with a for sale tag on it?
Yeah mine is also off. It took me a while to do though. Finally I figured what's the point of having ballin ass kings of I keep the sway bar on.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrande View Post

Uh...I'm not even going to pretend leaving that thing on is a valid option.

Regardless of that, I'm not talking about moving the brackets. I'm talking about changing where on the brackets the resis mount.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:02 PM   #60
Ban Pending

Quote:

The purpose of the resi is to cool the shock oil and to increase the volume, to additionally cool it. Being out in 'free' air is a good thing for the function of them.