LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

king vs. icon vs. fox racing coilovers

Old 02-10-2012, 10:25 PM   #1
Penis Bird
SoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SoCalTacos's Tacoma Gallery
king vs. icon vs. fox racing coilovers

So I've been contemplating upgrading my front suspension a bit. Have done the research regarding kings, icons and fox. What I want to know which would be better suited for my needs. I do go off roading, and I spend a lot of time highway and city driving. What I've noticed with my 5100's is a very bumpy ride on some of our LA freeways. Was wondering if going a bit higher end coilover would help. Also, if and when i do decide to take the plunge and buy em...which is the better of the three. I would be buying remote resi coilovers. I noticed Camburg didn't have a remote resi or I would have included them as well. Anyways, anyone with some experience with these products...advice would be much appreciated.
Myself, I'm leaning towards the kings. Thanks in advance guys!
Old 02-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #2
Sigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to behold
Name: Sigi
Sigi's Tacoma Gallery
I hope you get some good answers cause i have the exact same question
Old 02-10-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
Penis Bird
SoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06tacotrd View Post
I hope you get some good answers cause i have the exact same question
Well...when you decide on what you want, since your local to me, perhaps I can get us a discount for buying a couple sets...I might get uca's too.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:39 PM   #4
GreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud of

Name: Tyler
GreenTaco28's Tacoma Gallery
From what I've read, Icon uses digressive valving which will be a bit stiffer at first, but then smoothes out at faster speeds. King and Fox use progressive valving which is the opposite and is smoother at first, but as speed increases they start to stiffen up. Hope this helps
Old 02-10-2012, 10:39 PM   #5
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
i went with king... but all three are pretty much the same. fox and king are progressive where icon is digressive
Old 02-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #6
Penis Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTaco28 View Post
From what I've read, Icon uses digressive valving which will be a bit stiffer at first, but then smoothes out at faster speeds. King and Fox use progressive valving which is the opposite and is smoother at first, but as speed increases they start to stiffen up. Hope this helps
Thanks, that does help. So icons may be better for freeway driving...reducing the bumps at higher speeds.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:45 PM   #7
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
i think its only noticeable off road from my understanding...
Old 02-10-2012, 10:53 PM   #8
GreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud of

Name: Tyler
GreenTaco28's Tacoma Gallery
It could be better for freeway, but not sure. Hopefully others will chime in
Old 02-10-2012, 10:59 PM   #9
Penis Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
i think its only noticeable off road from my understanding...
If that's the case I'd stick to the kings...from what I've read here and from friend's suspension choices they seem to be the best quality.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:03 PM   #10
i went with king but honestly all three are Top Quality
Old 02-10-2012, 11:24 PM   #11
Xbox GT: Yodaman8806
Underdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Ground Support Shop Foreman/HAZMAT NCO, 1916 SPT BTN, 699th Maintenance Co.
Name: Matt
Underdog777's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
all three are Top Quality
This. I run icon's f/r no special tuning or re-valving @180 psi. I do a ton of interstate travel between CA/AZ on the 40. On road the truck cadillac's (the best way I can describe it). Off road at speeds 50+ the shocks eat up enough punishment at an impressive rate for being mid travel.

All three are rebuild able and all three are reputable. This question comes down to $$$ and desired spring rate.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:47 PM   #12
Penis Bird

thanks Matt...as far as $$$ they all seem to be about $20-$60 different. also, checked out the build....and thats a sweet truck you got there. i love the icon look..black n silver...but i kinda got shook when i saw this post http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-shipping.html.
BTW thanks for your service.
gotta love black.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:05 AM   #13
U MAD? OH U MAD
RJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: RJ
RJALLDAY702's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTaco28 View Post
THIS.

I love my icons. The faster you go, the smoother it is..
Old 02-11-2012, 12:15 AM   #15
U MAD? OH U MAD
RJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTacos View Post
are you guys running the extended travel icon? and is there a difference, ride-wise, between the two?
Shouldnt be too much different, the ext. just have that extra inch of down travel...
Old 02-11-2012, 12:42 AM   #17
it's about the off-road miles
tacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tacokid09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
gotcha, thanks.
probably need new uca's with extended travel?
uniball to be exact
Old 02-11-2012, 12:52 AM   #18
U MAD? OH U MAD

Yes. Dont wanna put too much onto the stock UCA's.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:58 AM   #19
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
gotcha, thanks.
A good idea to get new UCAs regardless of any upgrade to your suspension if there's going to be an increase in height. If you were just mall crawling I'd say save your scheckles but since you actually take yours off pavement new UCAs will be a welcome addition and make the truck far more stable and less skittish on the highway.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:59 AM   #20
aka Senor Tacorojo
EL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: CORY
EL ROJO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
gotcha, thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacokid09 View Post
uniball to be exact
Yes, ucas with uniball cuz of extra droop and to alignment to be in specs. Like posted above all three are top notch, I loved my icons! And went with kings on my new setup, which should be ready any day

Well I think all of them may be a rougher than stock ride on freeway cuz ur running a stiffer coil and stiffer(I know that's not the right word for it) valving. But handle on road and off greatly improve. Hope this helps a bit.