Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

DSM Bilstein 5100 Purchase Confusion

Old 02-12-2012, 07:24 AM   #1
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
MGMTacoFF's Tacoma Gallery
DSM Bilstein 5100 Purchase Confusion

Hey all, I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a set of Bilstein 5100's soon and have heard Downsouth Motorsports is the best one to get them from. I was looking at the Tacoma 05-12 4WD full set, and it seems there are two to pick from. The first one is $334.99 and specifically says "Bilstein" while the second one is $299.99 and specifically says "RCD/Bilstein". The point of confusion is that they both look exactly the same (maybe I'm missing what the RCD/Bilstein means) but they are marked at roughly $35 difference.

Also, how does the TW discount for DSM work?

Thanks,

-- Matt --
Old 02-12-2012, 07:34 AM   #2
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
RCD bilstein is a longer shock meant for the RCD drop bracket lift. If you call up DSM and tell them you are from tacomaworld they will give you a discount.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:37 AM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337Taco View Post
RCD bilstein is a longer shock meant for the RCD drop bracket lift. If you call up DSM and tell them you are from tacomaworld they will give you a discount.
Actually, from what I have gathered, the RCD/Bilstien is specifically valved for the Tacoma.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:44 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Call DSM. Both part numbers have this referenced in the description so you'd be led to believe they're the same thing

Front Shock Part #: BE5-C477-T1, Equal to New Bilstein Part # 24-186711</FONT color></B>
Rear Shock Part #: BE5-C478-T0,Equal to New Bilstein Part # 24-186728
Old 02-12-2012, 07:51 AM   #5
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I should have looked at the link beforehand. I know dsm gets their shocks from RCD and then get their extras through bilstein. Then there is also the shocks you get for the RCD db lift which i dont think are either of these. If i remember correctly the rcd shocks say side specific and have different part #s. Its been too long for me to remember but I would just give them a call. They are extremely helpful.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:09 AM   #6
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
OK, so I should be looking at the first one for $334.99? Also, do you guys think I will need a 1/4'' spacer to eliminate possible lean on the driver's side?

-- Matt --
Old 02-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #7
Downsouth Motorsport
Downsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Downsouth Motorsports's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacoFF View Post
Hey all, I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a set of Bilstein 5100's soon and have heard Downsouth Motorsports is the best one to get them from. I was looking at the Tacoma 05-12 4WD full set, and it seems there are two to pick from. The first one is $334.99 and specifically says "Bilstein" while the second one is $299.99 and specifically says "RCD/Bilstein". The point of confusion is that they both look exactly the same (maybe I'm missing what the RCD/Bilstein means) but they are marked at roughly $35 difference.

Also, how does the TW discount for DSM work?

Thanks,

-- Matt --
Hello, everyone,

This topic has come up quite a few times in the past, but I realize that the way our site is set up now, it can be confusing.

The shocks are the same, whether you get the Bilstein ones, or the RCD ones. The ones from RCD, are built by Bilstein, exclusively for RCD, and that's why it's a different part #. Why are the RCD ones cheaper on the site? Because we buy them cheaper. Simple as that. The reason for us listing the 'Bilstein' part # on our site is complicated, but they will remain listed.

The RCD/Bilstein 5100 shocks were meant to be offered as an exclusive to forum members at the discounted price, but there was no way for us to 'hide' them on our site. So many people who visit our site end up finding both listings. The $299.99 price is already considered the "forum member" discount price, so no additional coupon codes are required, nor allowed.

Hope this clears things up, and please call us if you have any questions...

Thank you,
-Marco @ DSM
Old 02-16-2012, 12:24 PM   #8

Firefighter:
Does anyone know if a 1/4'' spacer is needed for possible taco lean for when I install the Bilstein's? Also, will I need to adjust my headlights for this leveling kit?

Thanks, Matt
Old 02-16-2012, 05:57 PM   #9
I have a spectacular aura
Bryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud of

Bryan139's Tacoma Gallery
It depends on what setting you put them at. At 0 obviously not, at 2.5" then of course. It's real easy to do, its just turning a screw. You can do it by hand even, if you can fit your hand in there.

I can't comment on the spacer. I might be the only guy who's taco leans to the passenger side.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:37 PM   #10
08Dbluetaco is on a distinguished road
Marines:
Name: Michael
08Dbluetaco's Tacoma Gallery
if i get the 5100 will i need to do an alignment on my truck? if i but the 5100 can i set the at 2 1/2 and leave it or do i have to put them back down at times?? by putting them at 2 1/2 will the shocks wear out faster?? or should i just put spacers to level out my truck??
Old 02-16-2012, 07:41 PM   #11
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Dbluetaco View Post
if i get the 5100 will i need to do an alignment on my truck? if i but the 5100 can i set the at 2 1/2 and leave it or do i have to put them back down at times?? by putting them at 2 1/2 will the shocks wear out faster?? or should i just put spacers to level out my truck??
Yes, get an alignment.

Yes, you can leave it set at 2.5

No, they will not wear out faster. Ride will be stiffer than 1.75 because the spring will be preloaded more.

Depends on what kind of driving you do. Spacers are fine for on road driving. But not recommended for any kind of off road.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:14 AM   #12
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Actually, from what I have gathered, the RCD/Bilstien is specifically valved for the Tacoma.

This is 100% true, I was there yesterday picking up some 5125's .
Old 02-18-2012, 10:19 AM   #13
the habs fan
bulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
bulhas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac808 View Post
Yes, get an alignment.

No, they will not wear out faster. Ride will be stiffer than 1.75 because the spring will be preloaded more.

Depends on what kind of driving you do. Spacers are fine for on road driving. But not recommended for any kind of off road.

ehhh i put 6 trail runs in on 3" spacers and not an issue, a 1/4" spacer is fine for some off road use
Old 02-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #14
the habs fan
bulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
bulhas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac808 View Post
Yes, get an alignment.

ehhh i put 6 trail runs in on 3" spacers and not an issue, a 1/4" spacer is fine for some off road use
Old 02-19-2012, 12:08 PM   #15

Firefighter:
Does anyone know if the 1/4'' spacer is needed for taco lean with Bilstein's at 1.75''? Or will it just be a slight lean?
Old 02-19-2012, 12:14 PM   #16
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bishop2Queens6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Does anyone know if the 1/4'' spacer is needed for taco lean with Bilstein's at 1.75''? Or will it just be a slight lean?
Without the spacer, the lean will always be there. You have the gas tank, battery, and the driver all sitting on the left side, so to get rid of the lean, no matter what the lift, throw in a 1/4 inch spacer on the left.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:21 PM   #17
dfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Goose
dfrugia's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not tech savy. So someone with a stock set of bilstein 5100s for around 300 and it will also serve as a lift?
Old 02-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #18
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bishop2Queens6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrugia View Post
I'm not tech savy. So someone with a stock set of bilstein 5100s for around 300 and it will also serve as a lift?
Bilstein 5100's are adjustable as in you throw your stock spring on the strut and set the spring seat to a pre determined height. 0, 0.85, 1.75, or 2.5 inches giving you the set amount of lift. They're also valved better than the stock struts so it will give you a better ride, but the higher you set the lift, you increase the amount of preload on the spring giving you a stiffer ride.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:38 PM   #19
dfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Goose
dfrugia's Tacoma Gallery
Excellent explaination thanks
Old 02-19-2012, 02:10 PM   #20
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You only need the spacer if you change the coils. Toyota made the driver side coil to compensate for the lean. ( if you use the same coils dont mix them up)If you change the coils you will need the spacer to prevent the lean.