1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lifts and waranties

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by MapMasterG, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Nov 15, 2006 at 10:40 AM
    MapMasterG

MapMasterG [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Does anyone know if there are any ways to lift my new Tacoma without voiding the waranty?

2. Nov 16, 2006 at 1:07 PM
    archer of loaf

archer of loaf Well-Known Member

Member:
    I spoke to my dealer and they said if the techs did it or told me what could be done it would not void the warrenty. However, always a however, if they feel the mods done did something to the truck, warrenty could be voided, and if you do some hardcore offroading, this will void the warrenty too. What it comes down to, is it something you need done or just want done?

CHeers,

3. Nov 16, 2006 at 3:30 PM
    MapMasterG

Member:
    Thanks Archer....I will ask the techs @ the dealership...all of their trucks are lifted anyway. I don't need to go extreme just a few more inches.
    Appreciate the response!

4. Nov 16, 2006 at 3:52 PM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    Dont take their word on it:rolleyes: . Get it in writing or buy the kit from them and have them do it for you;) . I'm sure they can source it for you.

5. Nov 16, 2006 at 4:14 PM
    archer of loaf

Member:
    Master is right... I thought about doing a 3" lift, but all my car buddies told me I was nuts. At the end of the day I felt they were right and it was not worth risking it.

6. Nov 16, 2006 at 6:17 PM
    MapMasterG

Member:
    ...This may be a dumb question, but does toyota make a lift kit?

7. Nov 16, 2006 at 6:29 PM
    archer of loaf

Member:
    No they do not - it is all after market.

8. Dec 6, 2006 at 7:48 PM
    Truck champion

Truck champion Active Member

Member:
    Some Dealers offer liftted trucks that have equipment that has a full warranty that covers the parts and the truck. I am one of those dealerships. Most of the equipment offered by Toyota dealers that have this program is from major companies like Pro-comp, Old Man Emu and ARB and others. See article in Off-Raod adventures in the December 2006 edition on page 46 "Turn-Key Custom Trucks" You can come in see what you want and have it put on the truck of your choice with a 36 month 36,000 Mile warranty that takes care of all worries. :)

9. Dec 6, 2006 at 8:34 PM
    archer of loaf

Member:
    The lift can be blaimed for problems and toyota can easily say the lift is the cause - warrenty voided.

10. Dec 6, 2006 at 10:35 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Within the US, unless Toyota can absolutely prove your lift caused the damage it doesn't void the warranty. It is refered to as the Magnuson-Moss act.

An example of the law by K&N PLease read!!!!!!!

If you go and get a Fabtech lift which requires cutting of a cross member then yes it would void materials and workmanship but if you installed said lift and next thing you know your engine takes a dump Toyota can't refuse your powertrain warranty.

You lift your rig 3inches with AAL's and Coilover's and your rear ring gear breaks. How can Toyota prove that your raising the truck 3 inchs caused enough stress on the rear ring to cause it to break? Remember the truck (2005 and up V6) is rated to tow 6500lbs.

I do not know how it works in Canada but in the US there are laws that protect the consumers and promote free trade.

11. Dec 7, 2006 at 2:20 AM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    We have similar laws in Canada too however, big cooperation’s hide behind the muscle of their legal counsel. The average consumer in Canada rolls over and plays dead when pushed around by big businesses. Unfortunately, we don’t have the right to bear arm. If we did, I’m sure businesses would govern themselves accordingly. :playball:

12. Dec 7, 2006 at 6:32 PM
    MapMasterG

Member:
    Thanks for the last few posts. It's always good to arm yourself with good info. I just want to do a 2-3 inch lift, nothing too extreme, so it's good to know this stuff. TW people rule!!

13. Dec 8, 2006 at 11:01 AM
    Truck champion

Member:
    Ok, guys I know you are savy. Yes if you do the lift kit your self, you have an aftermarket shop do it nor you jump the truck 40 feet across a culvert and break an axle, you are all correct about possibililties of voided warranties. However please pay attention,........... If you go to a Toyota dealer that offers quality installed kits with warranties that extend beyond the installed parts to the truck (A truck oriented dealership). We use ARB, Old Man emu and Pro-comp and the company that offers us the equipment has the customers and our backs covered. Benefit include one stop shopping, having it all rolled into one financing package and compettive pricing. I just put 10,000 dollars of Old Man Emu suspension mods ARB bumpers, a 9000lb winch and lighting kit on an FJ and was able to get it to the customer for only 8,000 with no worries about warranties. everything is covered. If your Toyota dealer says this is not possible......then you are talking to the wrong dealer/salesperson whatever. Find one that is really a "Truck dealer" and not a Camry outlet that happens to sell trucks!

There is not always bad news. It is not always gloomy and some times all you needed to do to get out of a bad situation was keepn standing on the gas and let the truck work. Cheer up guys the end is not here yet!

14. Dec 9, 2006 at 8:24 PM
    4x4Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    I noticed on your location it says Kent. Is that Kent, WA? If so what dealer do you work at?

15. Dec 10, 2006 at 2:06 PM
    Truck champion

Member:
    I am the truck guy at Doxon Toyota in Auburn Washington and yes you were right I live in Kent WA. I am known as the "Truck Champion" at my dealership and I do stuff that few other dealers do and we do whatever it takes for our customers. I noticed the "My honor is more important than my commission" quote. That guy must be a dealer too. He might even be an Ex-Marine as well with those sentiments. Semper Fi!!!

16. Dec 10, 2006 at 2:37 PM
    BigBacon

BigBacon Member

Member:
    si i read all the bullitens and i just got more and more confused...so i need a staight answer...if i lifet my 06' 6" and got the dealer to do it..whats up with the warrenty??

17. Dec 10, 2006 at 3:37 PM
    4x4Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Nice!!! I might have to come down and hit you up. I normally take my truck to Bob Bridge in Renton.

18. Dec 12, 2006 at 5:19 PM
    Truck champion

Member:
    Great!! I will look forward to meeting you. Just ask for the Truck Champion and they will steer you to me.

19. Dec 12, 2006 at 5:49 PM
    Truck champion

Member:
    The straight answer is that if you do the lift yourself in the U.S. Toyota could make an argument on warranty for some components but if you find one of the Toyota Truck stores that offer installed lift kits with full warranties then you are safe. Like Banshee said get it in writing and a Toyota "Truck" store will get it for you.

20. Dec 19, 2006 at 12:02 PM
    natrlyst

natrlyst Well-Known Member

Member:
    We have the right to bear arms, I have a hunting rifle and I am also wearing a short sleeve shirt as I type this, and i am breaking no laws.

Sorry... (walks away shamefully)

Products Discussed in

To Top