Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Lifts and waranties

Old 11-15-2006, 10:40 AM   #1
MapMasterG has a spectacular aura aboutMapMasterG has a spectacular aura aboutMapMasterG has a spectacular aura about
MapMasterG's Tacoma Gallery
Question Lifts and waranties

Does anyone know if there are any ways to lift my new Tacoma without voiding the waranty?
Old 11-16-2006, 01:07 PM   #2
archer of loaf will become famous soon enough

archer of loaf's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to archer of loaf Send a message via Yahoo to archer of loaf
I spoke to my dealer and they said if the techs did it or told me what could be done it would not void the warrenty. However, always a however, if they feel the mods done did something to the truck, warrenty could be voided, and if you do some hardcore offroading, this will void the warrenty too. What it comes down to, is it something you need done or just want done?

CHeers,
Old 11-16-2006, 03:30 PM   #3
MapMasterG has a spectacular aura aboutMapMasterG has a spectacular aura aboutMapMasterG has a spectacular aura about
Thanks

Thanks Archer....I will ask the techs @ the dealership...all of their trucks are lifted anyway. I don't need to go extreme just a few more inches.
Appreciate the response!
Old 11-16-2006, 03:52 PM   #4
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapMasterG View Post
Thanks Archer....I will ask the techs @ the dealership...all of their trucks are lifted anyway. I don't need to go extreme just a few more inches.
Dont take their word on it . Get it in writing or buy the kit from them and have them do it for you . I'm sure they can source it for you.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:14 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to archer of loaf Send a message via Yahoo to archer of loaf
Master is right... I thought about doing a 3" lift, but all my car buddies told me I was nuts. At the end of the day I felt they were right and it was not worth risking it.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:17 PM   #6
lift kit from the dealership?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themaster View Post
Dont take their word on it . Get it in writing or buy the kit from them and have them do it for you . I'm sure they can source it for you.
...This may be a dumb question, but does toyota make a lift kit?
Old 11-16-2006, 06:29 PM   #7

No they do not - it is all after market.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:48 PM   #8
Truck champion is an unknown quantity at this point

Truck champion's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Truck champion
Smile warranty on lift kits? Yes!

Some Dealers offer liftted trucks that have equipment that has a full warranty that covers the parts and the truck. I am one of those dealerships. Most of the equipment offered by Toyota dealers that have this program is from major companies like Pro-comp, Old Man Emu and ARB and others. See article in Off-Raod adventures in the December 2006 edition on page 46 "Turn-Key Custom Trucks" You can come in see what you want and have it put on the truck of your choice with a 36 month 36,000 Mile warranty that takes care of all worries.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:34 PM   #9

The lift can be blaimed for problems and toyota can easily say the lift is the cause - warrenty voided.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:35 PM   #10
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer of loaf View Post
The lift can be blaimed for problems and toyota can easily say the lift is the cause - warrenty voided.
Within the US, unless Toyota can absolutely prove your lift caused the damage it doesn't void the warranty. It is refered to as the Magnuson-Moss act.

An example of the law by K&N PLease read!!!!!!!

If you go and get a Fabtech lift which requires cutting of a cross member then yes it would void materials and workmanship but if you installed said lift and next thing you know your engine takes a dump Toyota can't refuse your powertrain warranty.

You lift your rig 3inches with AAL's and Coilover's and your rear ring gear breaks. How can Toyota prove that your raising the truck 3 inchs caused enough stress on the rear ring to cause it to break? Remember the truck (2005 and up V6) is rated to tow 6500lbs.

I do not know how it works in Canada but in the US there are laws that protect the consumers and promote free trade.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:20 AM   #11
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
I do not know how it works in Canada but .........
We have similar laws in Canada too however, big cooperationís hide behind the muscle of their legal counsel. The average consumer in Canada rolls over and plays dead when pushed around by big businesses. Unfortunately, we donít have the right to bear arm. If we did, Iím sure businesses would govern themselves accordingly.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:32 PM   #12
great news

Thanks for the last few posts. It's always good to arm yourself with good info. I just want to do a 2-3 inch lift, nothing too extreme, so it's good to know this stuff. TW people rule!!
Old 12-08-2006, 11:01 AM   #13

Smile

Ok, guys I know you are savy. Yes if you do the lift kit your self, you have an aftermarket shop do it nor you jump the truck 40 feet across a culvert and break an axle, you are all correct about possibililties of voided warranties. However please pay attention,........... If you go to a Toyota dealer that offers quality installed kits with warranties that extend beyond the installed parts to the truck (A truck oriented dealership). We use ARB, Old Man emu and Pro-comp and the company that offers us the equipment has the customers and our backs covered. Benefit include one stop shopping, having it all rolled into one financing package and compettive pricing. I just put 10,000 dollars of Old Man Emu suspension mods ARB bumpers, a 9000lb winch and lighting kit on an FJ and was able to get it to the customer for only 8,000 with no worries about warranties. everything is covered. If your Toyota dealer says this is not possible......then you are talking to the wrong dealer/salesperson whatever. Find one that is really a "Truck dealer" and not a Camry outlet that happens to sell trucks!

There is not always bad news. It is not always gloomy and some times all you needed to do to get out of a bad situation was keepn standing on the gas and let the truck work. Cheer up guys the end is not here yet!
Old 12-09-2006, 08:24 PM   #14
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck champion View Post
However please pay attention,........... If you go to a Toyota dealer that offers quality installed kits with warranties that extend beyond the installed parts to the truck (A truck oriented dealership). We use ARB, Old Man emu and Pro-comp and the company that offers us the equipment has the customers and our backs covered. Benefit include one stop shopping, having it all rolled into one financing package and compettive pricing. I just put 10,000 dollars of Old Man Emu suspension mods ARB bumpers, a 9000lb winch and lighting kit on an FJ and was able to get it to the customer for only 8,000 with no worries about warranties. everything is covered. If your Toyota dealer says this is not possible......then you are talking to the wrong dealer/salesperson whatever. Find one that is really a "Truck dealer" and not a Camry outlet that happens to sell trucks!
I noticed on your location it says Kent. Is that Kent, WA? If so what dealer do you work at?
Old 12-10-2006, 02:06 PM   #15

Cool What Dealer?

I am the truck guy at Doxon Toyota in Auburn Washington and yes you were right I live in Kent WA. I am known as the "Truck Champion" at my dealership and I do stuff that few other dealers do and we do whatever it takes for our customers. I noticed the "My honor is more important than my commission" quote. That guy must be a dealer too. He might even be an Ex-Marine as well with those sentiments. Semper Fi!!!
Old 12-10-2006, 02:37 PM   #16
BigBacon is on a distinguished road
BigBacon's Tacoma Gallery
si i read all the bullitens and i just got more and more confused...so i need a staight answer...if i lifet my 06' 6" and got the dealer to do it..whats up with the warrenty??
Old 12-10-2006, 03:37 PM   #17
The TW 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck champion View Post
I am the truck guy at Doxon Toyota in Auburn Washington and yes you were right I live in Kent WA. I am known as the "Truck Champion" at my dealership and I do stuff that few other dealers do and we do whatever it takes for our customers.
Nice!!! I might have to come down and hit you up. I normally take my truck to Bob Bridge in Renton.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:19 PM   #18

See you soon

Great!! I will look forward to meeting you. Just ask for the Truck Champion and they will steer you to me.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:49 PM   #19

Cool Straight answer

The straight answer is that if you do the lift yourself in the U.S. Toyota could make an argument on warranty for some components but if you find one of the Toyota Truck stores that offer installed lift kits with full warranties then you are safe. Like Banshee said get it in writing and a Toyota "Truck" store will get it for you.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:02 PM   #20
natrlyst will become famous soon enough

natrlyst's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themaster View Post
We have similar laws in Canada too however, big cooperationís hide behind the muscle of their legal counsel. The average consumer in Canada rolls over and plays dead when pushed around by big businesses. Unfortunately, we donít have the right to bear arm. If we did, Iím sure businesses would govern themselves accordingly.
We have the right to bear arms, I have a hunting rifle and I am also wearing a short sleeve shirt as I type this, and i am breaking no laws.

Sorry... (walks away shamefully)