Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

What suspension lift do the dealerships put on new trucks?

Old 02-13-2012, 09:55 AM   #1
johnnief is on a distinguished road
Name: Johnnie
johnnief's Tacoma Gallery
What suspension lift do the dealerships put on new trucks?

So I was at the dealership this weekend while my wife bought a new camry. I have been debating on lifting or just leveling my 2012 tacoma. The service guy said that they could do it for around $1200. This would be a three-one lift. I assume he is talking about a spacer all the way around. I told him that I have heard all the horror stories about spacer lifts but he said it was the safest way to do it. REALLY? I told him I preferred to go with bilsteins and eibachs. He said that would be fine as long as I didn't put the drive line in a bind. I am sure this kit he is talking about includes the differential drop but seems to me the UCA's would be in way too much of a bind.

So my question is does anyone know what lift he is talking about and what opinions can you all share?
Old 02-13-2012, 09:58 AM   #2
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
diff drops dont do anything on 2nd gens

from what i've heard, dealerships tend to like spacer lifts; easy to put on and easy to overcharge for...

spacers are the safest lift? Lulz.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Ask him. Some dealerships will put on decent suspension lifts, some just use spacers. If he's charging $1200 for a spacer lift, that's ridiculous. As far as binding, plenty of people are using the Eibach coils and do not have binding issues (myself included).
Old 02-13-2012, 10:12 AM   #4
He is saying six hours labor at $95 an hour
Old 02-13-2012, 10:15 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnief View Post
He is saying six hours labor at $95 an hour
For a spacer lift?!?!?!?!

I can do it myself without a car lift in under 6 hours. Tell him he needs to crack the whip on his mechanics. 6 hours for a spacer lift install is just price gouging. Plus, a spacer lift doesn't cost $600. Find a new shop to do your work, that place is ripping you off big time. I'm surprised he can talk to you with a straight face.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:27 AM   #7
Well is it true that a Toyota dealer has to do it to retain the factory warranty?
Old 02-13-2012, 10:28 AM   #9
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
That's why dealerships are crazy........................

They quoted my friend $300 to change his brake light.
was it made of gold?
Old 02-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #10
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
That's why dealerships are crazy........................

They quoted my friend $300 to change his brake light.
Yup. My mom got hit by Ford years ago for a light bulb replacement. My dad and I were out white river rafting and she got pulled over for a bulb being out. Being scared by the fix-it-ticket she took it to ford, 125$.. The light and 1 hour of labor is what the charged even tho my mom got her truck back to her in about 20 min.