1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to: Swap Your Spindles

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by JLink, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Feb 13, 2012 at 5:39 PM
    JLink

JLink [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    SO.....

I took all these pictures about a year ago when I had to replace a spindle that was bent. Since then I have redone my suspension so these pictures are no longer a reflection of my truck, but they still apply.

Anyone who has a bent spindle or wants to swap out for some gusseted spindles will need to do this. It is not hard to do, but can be frustrating.

I am not a mechanic, I am not telling you to do this, I am not telling you this is the BEST way to do it. I am simply saying what I did.

Here is a list of the tools that I used:

17 mm wrench to remove the hub from the spindle.
    35 mm socket for axle nut
    Needle nose pliers for axle nut retainer and tie rod end castle nut
    17 mm socket for tie rod end castle nut and brake caliper
    19 mm socket for bottom of spindle where LCA bolts on
    Flat head screw driver
    Rubber mallet
    Ball pien hammer or generic bfh
    Whatever you need to disconnect uca. I now have Downsouth Motorsports UCA's which use 21mm socket for top and 22mm for bottom. Remember you will need a wrench for the nut if you are installing gussets.

I went to sears and bought everything I used and tossed it in a bag to keep in the truck. Now Everytime I work on the truck I'll go buy all the tools I needed so I don't need to worry if I ever break down on the trail.

-First you will need to Jack up the front of your truck and set it securely on jack stands. It is also a good idea to chalk the rear wheels. I also used a floor jack to keep the lower control arm from dropping down too far.

-Next you will need to remove the wheel. It is easier if you loosen the lug nuts while the tires are still on the ground, but if you get to this point and realize you can't get the lug nuts off, have someone press the brakes while you loosen them.

-At this point, you should see something similar to this. At this time I still had stock UCA's and was still using the sway bar.

[​IMG]

-Now you need to use a flat head screw driver and a hammer to pry the cap off of the hub so you can get to the axle nut (4x4's only I'm guessing? never worked on a pre runner)

[​IMG]

-Then you need to remove the cotter pin and castle nut retainer. Needle nose pliers work well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Now can have someone step on the brakes so you can loosen the nut. You will need a 35mm socket. I tried doing it by myself with a large pry bar, but it kept slipping.

[​IMG]

-Then you can un bolt the brake caliper. Two 17mm bolts hold it on from the back. Don't forget to unbolt the brake line brackets and ABS sensor. 12mm and 10mm sockets will be needed. Make sure to secure the brake caliper to avoid problems with your brake lines. A rope can be used to tie it up out of the way.

-Now hit the brake rotor with a rubber mallet and it should come off.

[​IMG]

-At this point you will need to grab a 17mm wrench and get to work on the 4 bolts that hold the hub to the spindle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Then you can go ahead and loosen up:
    -The sway bar link (if you still have it)(not sure what size nut)
    -The tie rod end. Should be 17mm. Will also need to remove the cotter pin.
    -The lower ball joint where it bolts to the spindle. Two 19mm bolts.
    -The upper control arm nut. Not sure what the stock UCA size is.

Once all the nuts are loose, go ahead and remove them. Just easier to get everything loose first while the spindle is still held in place.

-Now that you have the spindle out, you will need to remove the ring for the axle bearing and install it on the new spindle. It is thin metal so be careful. Definitely recommend spraying pb blaster or similar on it first. Then use a flat head screw driver and very carefully tap it with a hammer and twist it to pop it off. Do this all the way around it to avoid tweaking it too much on one side.

[​IMG]

To install it in the new spindle I just applied some grease and then carefully tapped it with a hammer all around the ring until it sat all the way down. If yours isn't going in easily, try anything you have lying around that can fit inside the ring to avoid bending it.

[​IMG]

-Now you are ready to put it all back together!

-Start by bolting it back to the UCA to hold it up. Don't forget to slide the axle through the opening in the spindle.

-Now you can go ahead and line up all the other bolts. LCA, Sway Bar, Tie rod end.

[​IMG]

-Then you can have fun with that 17mm wrench again. Don't forget to put the brake dust guard back in place too.

-Then re install the brake rotor, caliper, and brake line brackets/ABS sensor, followed by the axle nut. Again, I suggest having someone step on the brake to allow you to tighten the nut.

[​IMG]

-Then use a hammer to tap that cap back into place.

[​IMG]

-If I've forgotten anything, please let me know and I'll update this.

-Here's why I had to swap out a spindle. I slid on some black ice and hit a guard rail. It bent the spindle enough that my tire was cocked at such an angle that it was only running on the inside edge. In less than 500 miles that tire was completely thread bare on the inside edge. Here is the bent spindle (on top) compared to the new spindle (on bottom).

[​IMG]

Since then I have swapped out both the driver and passenger side spindles for spindles with Total Chaos Spindle Gussets welded to them. Here's what they look like.

[​IMG]

2. Feb 13, 2012 at 9:30 PM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    nice write up>>>
    rep to you sir

3. Feb 14, 2012 at 4:03 AM
    JLink

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    why thank you sir! rep back at ya!

4. Feb 14, 2012 at 10:05 AM
    JLink

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Thanks bud! Rep for u as well!

5. Mar 8, 2012 at 5:37 PM
    HonoluluTaco

HonoluluTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Koi
    Reston Virginia
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD 4x4 OffRoad DC/SB
    2010 TRD OffRoad DC/SB, 285/70/17 KM2's, Mickey Thompson Classic Locks, Total Chaos UCA's King 2.5 RR Coilover 3" AllPro Leaf Pack, 2.0 Fox RR, Ubolt flip kit, MBRP dual cat back, URD TCAI and MAF Calibrator, TRD Sport Hood w/ scoop, E&G Classics Custom Stainless Grill, Color matched grill and door handles WeatherTech floor mats, FormulaOne Pinacle 15%+Air blue windshield Tint, RedLine hood struts, TRD 3rd Brake light Decal, Relentless Fab Hybrid 2 piece Sliders with Kick out Relentless Fab Aluminum Front bumper, Relentless steel rear bumper, Relentless Steel IFS B.A.M.F LCA Skids, w/ Rear Diff Skid ordered In my Spare room waiting to be installed sits, Wet Okoles, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod, SockMonkey Hawaii TRD OffRoad Decal, Big box of Rammat, Speakers and Custom Sub from Mr.Marv,
    That was helpful, doing it on a Prerunner should be even easier, brakes were my concern but I've got your tool list, I'm confident, thanks!

6. Apr 4, 2012 at 7:26 AM
    while

while Member

Member:
    well done .thanks.[​IMG]

7. Apr 6, 2012 at 9:38 AM
    JLink

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Yeah it's not bad at all. Always helps to see someone else do it before you have to do it yourself lol. And spray all the bolts with pb blaster or similar to make it easier to get everything apart.

I do everything on my truck with hand tools so I have less risk of stripping something and also so I know I can do it on a trail in an emergency with the basic set of tools I have in the truck.

Thanks!

8. Apr 9, 2012 at 7:14 AM
    aaroness

aaroness Member

Member:
    so nice .[​IMG]

9. Apr 10, 2012 at 12:10 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    nice write up man. yea 2wd is way easier to remove a spindle.

Lord Helmet likes this.
  10. Apr 27, 2012 at 4:21 AM
    JLink

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    wow holy shit! this got stickied!!?? I feel so helpful!! :D

11. Jan 17, 2013 at 9:05 PM
    GREEKBOY12295

GREEKBOY12295 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner
    Radflo 2.5 Coilovers, Viper Alarm 5902, Bilstein 5100's, Polk Speakers, Blacked out grille and Emblems, All Pro 3" leafs, Pioneer AVH-4300 Double Din, BHLM, 4" Maxtrac Spindle, Aero Turbine 2525xl, Ultra Gauge, Rockford Fosgate 300 mono amp, 10" Kicker CVR
    Is this different from a 2wd? I tried using this today and its not the same. It is weird.

12. Jan 17, 2013 at 9:35 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    ^ every thing is pretty much the same except the big nut for the cv.

13. Jan 18, 2013 at 12:10 AM
    BMOC

BMOC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paden
    Phoenix, AZ
    this, wtf nick. I thought you were going to call me if you ran into trouble? LOL

14. Jan 18, 2013 at 6:16 AM
    GREEKBOY12295

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Radflo 2.5 Coilovers, Viper Alarm 5902, Bilstein 5100's, Polk Speakers, Blacked out grille and Emblems, All Pro 3" leafs, Pioneer AVH-4300 Double Din, BHLM, 4" Maxtrac Spindle, Aero Turbine 2525xl, Ultra Gauge, Rockford Fosgate 300 mono amp, 10" Kicker CVR
    I thought you didn't want to help!

15. Jan 18, 2013 at 7:46 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    Paden is to Gnar for everybody plus he only likes working on engage stuff :p

16. Jan 18, 2013 at 8:38 AM
    GREEKBOY12295

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    I honestly could not find the bolts on the rotor.

17. Jan 18, 2013 at 10:38 AM
    JLink

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    ... What bolts on the rotor?

18. Jan 18, 2013 at 11:11 AM
    GREEKBOY12295

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    I don't know man

19. Jan 18, 2013 at 1:01 PM
    JLink

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Then wtf are you talking about? Did the write up say anything about bolts on the rotors? Or did you see a picture that makes you think there are? Are you talking about the blue spidertrax wheel spacer in one of the pics?

I'm trying to help you but you aren't giving me much to go on..

20. Jan 18, 2013 at 1:18 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:

Products Discussed in

To Top