1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

fox/king/icon vs ome

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Sigi, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Feb 13, 2012 at 9:56 PM
    Sigi

Sigi [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sigi
    Sfv ca
    Vehicle:
    06 tacoma 4x4 trd offroad
    Hey, so i been looking and reading lots of threads about all type of suspention and i am really confussed. I do like off roading and try to go about once a month and want to upgrade my suspention since i just finished paying off my truck. woo woo. I was just wondering if its really worth it to go with fox/king/icon or will the ome kit be enough for just half the price. I dont mind spending the extra money on it but im thinking for the type of offroading i do they might just be a waste. I usually go to gorman but defenitly want to try new spots too. How much better would fox/king/icon be vs ome. Like ,flex,trave,smooth ride ext. Thanks. Pretty much will my truck get me more places with the more expensive of them both and will the difference between the both be that noticeable?? Thanks. All your help and expertise will be appreciated.

2. Feb 13, 2012 at 10:19 PM
    the.sight.picture

the.sight.picture Wishes he was in the woods.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Blue Ridge
    Vehicle:
    2018 QuickSand
    Check out my build thread (Beginning of Money Pit)
    Ome= good qaulity ride, on road and off. not that much lift, and if u dont plan on driving 50mph+ off road then that would be the one for you. less expensive, and the money u save u could instal a high clearance bumper:D

Now, from my experiance (not much, but alittle) I have heard many ppl love their ICons, Exept there is a manufacturing flaw with the top of the coilover( not sure wat part). I have heard users swear by them. But, if u decide u want more travel, then u will need new ucas. more $.

I have never ( at least to my recolection) heard anyone say anything bad about King coilovers, or Camburg, or for that matter, swayaway coilovers.

My Opinion is that u should just go with the OME 885. that way, it will only cost u more (199$) tops, to upgrade to 886 coils for a front HC bumper. The kits usually come with dakar rear leafs, wich are amazing for the price.

Now, if money is no prob, i would go with Devers customs in the back, and a set of these (King coilovers, or Camburg, or for that matter, swayaway coilovers) up front with new uca's:D:D

Good luck

fairfaxtaco likes this.
  3. Feb 13, 2012 at 10:20 PM
    the.sight.picture

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Blue Ridge
    Vehicle:
    2018 QuickSand
    oh, and if u can afford it, why not just buy the best u can, :D

4. Feb 13, 2012 at 10:21 PM
    Mitch

Mitch Somebody call for a Wambulance?

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    Lights, Siren, Drugs, Needles, Electricity
    I think you answered yourself. If you don't think the cost is worth it, because of the wheeling you do. Then it's not worth it. Racing coilovers next to OME is Apples to Oranges. They both fit the truck and get the job done. But in 2 different manners (racing built vs weekend warrior built. IMO)

I can't speak to any though, since I have never owned them. Just the use you described I don't think is worth the extra cost. Plus the rebuilt cost. I talked to ToyTec about the Radflo's and they said that the Radflo's should be rebuilt every 25-30k. That adds up over time.

5. Feb 13, 2012 at 10:28 PM
    Sigi

Member:
    First Name:
    Sigi
    Sfv ca
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. Yeah I'm really not thinking of going over 50 in the dirt or anything like that. I like more hill climbing and few rocks. Right now I'm running 285/75/16 with just a daystar spacer in the front to clear the tires. But I hate how it's now higher in the front than the back plus want to get rid of that cheap spacer lift. Do you know how muck ome kit will lift the truck?? with the full leaf pack (dakar )??

6. Feb 13, 2012 at 10:34 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    885's , no top spacer , lifted my DCLB 4x4 2 1/2" up front , the Dakars lifted me 2 3/4" out back

7. Feb 13, 2012 at 10:34 PM
    Sigi

Member:
    First Name:
    Sigi
    Sfv ca
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. its true. cause i know my truck could get a lot of places how it is stock but the only reason i want to lift it is to help clear my 33's better. So i think i might just go with the ome kit. Is the ome an upgrade from stock or about the same quality??

8. Feb 13, 2012 at 10:36 PM
    Mitch

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    I would consider the OME an upgrade. IF you want the adjustablitity of a coil over, look at the Toytec ULK.

9. Feb 13, 2012 at 10:37 PM
    Sigi

Member:
    First Name:
    Sigi
    Sfv ca
    Vehicle:

thanks. thats sound perfect. I dont want it to high either. I think its worthless. just enough to clear my tires. By the way do you recomend that kit?? Do you have any regrets or highly recomend it?? Thanks again.

10. Feb 13, 2012 at 10:40 PM
    Sigi

Member:
    First Name:
    Sigi
    Sfv ca
    Vehicle:

true, do you know if the ome shocks are adjustable at all or just preset to 1 setting??

11. Feb 13, 2012 at 10:51 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Very happy with it , suits my needs perfectly

The OME shocks are not adjustable , you chose your lift amount with which springs you get ( 884 , 885 ) and whether you add top plate spacers or not

12. Feb 13, 2012 at 10:55 PM
    the.sight.picture

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Blue Ridge
    Vehicle:
    2018 QuickSand
    OMe shocks are not adjustable.POLL IT. u will see, your needs justify OME, or toytec Ultimate lift kit. I would do OME though. afforable, many options, and well, more$$$$ in you pocket for more mods:woot:

13. Feb 13, 2012 at 10:57 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    There already is a 4 million page OME vs Toytec poll thread

14. Feb 13, 2012 at 10:58 PM
    Banff2007Tacoma

Banff2007Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Black Sand Pearl TRD Offroad.
    GPS Navigation System, Old Man Emu complete lift with Dakar springs. Light Racing UCA's. BFG AT tires, KMC Enduro rims, Allpro E-locker guard. ARB Portable Air Compressor CKMP12. Backflip Tonneau Cover. Wet Okole seat covers.
    I am going to recommend the OME kit as well. I just got mine installed thanks to the suggestions from members on here :thumbsup: and I am very happy with it.

15. Feb 13, 2012 at 11:08 PM
    Sigi

Member:
    First Name:
    Sigi
    Sfv ca
    Vehicle:
    Cool thanks guys. I'm pretty sure I'm going with the ome then. Plus less money and suites me better is always a plus. Plus I just spent some money on some Shrockworks sliders and brand new 33" tires . Plus I'm about to get an all pro rear bumper and all pro skids. Dam tw is going to make me broke. Lol

16. Feb 13, 2012 at 11:09 PM
    Mitch

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    Hell, even the 5100 w/ eibachs are a good option. I would decide between the OME and the 5100 w/ eibachs. The 5100's have 3 settings if you want a level stance, little lift or decent lift.

17. Feb 13, 2012 at 11:12 PM
    Sigi

Member:
    First Name:
    Sigi
    Sfv ca
    Vehicle:
    Thanks again for all the info guys. One last question. Where can I get the best deal on the ome kit with the daker leaf pack?? Thanks again. I feel a lot better making my decision now . :)

18. Feb 13, 2012 at 11:12 PM
    the.sight.picture

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Blue Ridge
    Vehicle:
    2018 QuickSand
    And OP, He is in alaska, where if the weather isnt shitting on u:crapstorm:, and the trails are (easy) :bored:then the apocalpse really did happen:D

So, OME will be just fine....if its not, well, u can always resell (depandant on Miles and condition) on TW :cheers:

19. Feb 13, 2012 at 11:13 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Lol , go back to Geography class

20. Feb 13, 2012 at 11:13 PM
    the.sight.picture

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Blue Ridge
    Vehicle:
    2018 QuickSand

Um...............Toytec lifts is the cheapest i have found,,,,,,,,but if u do find anything cheaper, auto anything will beat it( so they say)

Products Discussed in

To Top