Spacers with 3" lift kit

Old 02-13-2012, 10:37 PM   #1
kubo is on a distinguished road
Navy: Avionics
kubo's Tacoma Gallery
Spacers with 3" lift kit

So I just bought a 3" toytec lift kit with the 2" aal and 5160 bilstein shocks:
ToyTec Lift

I am fairly mechanically inclined and the install seems like it would be pretty straight forward... so I am thinking about doing it myself. But to be honest, I haven't a clue as to what I am getting myself into.

I have a 2005 Tacoma, 4 door, DC, Long bed, Prerunner SR5 (non TRD).
It currently has a non-TSB 3 leaf pack and 2" front spacers and a 1.5" rear leveling block. The rear shocks are completely blown and bottom out on everything, and I mean everything (hence the purchase). I usually drive this about every other day or so to work and around town, but I usually take this out on bumpy fire roads every other weekend with about 200-300 lbs of potential cargo in the back. Stock front bumper but I do have a brush gaurd up there.

Sorry if these questions sound dumb or if they've been asked before, I've been lurking for a couple weeks and I couldn't exactly find what I've been looking for.

Is it a common thing to install the coilovers on the 2" spacer that's currently on it? Would this extra height damage anything or possibly limit my travel?

Also, is it common to use the 1.5" rear level block with the 2" AALs? And can I use this with the 5160s?

Thanks everyone
Old 02-13-2012, 11:50 PM   #2
kubo's Tacoma Gallery
So after doing some searching it seems I can run into an issue with damaging my front shock for up front... it will "stop" with the force on the shock and not on the bumpstops.
Does this sound about right for the 5100s?

Does anyone have any suggestions or links for bringing the bumpstops?
Old 02-14-2012, 06:34 AM   #3
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
You should remove all the components of the old lift before installing this one. No combination of front lifts you use should yield you over 3" or you'll have big problems with ride quality and/or ball joints.

You won't need to worry about bottoming out your shock with the 5100's. The stock bump stops will suffice. It's only when using a large top plate spacer do you have to worry about that.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:37 PM   #4
kubo's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you, that makes sence.
Do you think I should toss my rear leveling blocks as well?
I imagine the kit would make the truck level. Is it ever desired to have the rear slightly higher, like it is stock?
Old 02-14-2012, 01:05 PM   #5
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubo View Post
Thank you, that makes sence.
Do you think I should toss my rear leveling blocks as well?
I imagine the kit would make the truck level. Is it ever desired to have the rear slightly higher, like it is stock?
I would ditch the block for the add a leaf.
It's all up to personal preference on the rear height.