1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toytec Coilover Isses

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by dtrujillo63, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Dec 9, 2008 at 9:13 AM
    Neubs

Neubs Sold my Tacoma. Goodbye TW.

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Offroad DC 4X4
    ToyTec 5100 Bilstein Adjustable Coilovers w/ Eibach Springs | OME Darkar Leaf Springs | 5150 10" Bilstein Rear Shocks| Light Racing UCAs | All Pro U-Bolt Flip Kit | Timbren Rear Bumps | Extended Stainless Steel Rear Brake Lines | ARB CKMA12 On-Board Air Compressor | Method 16" Race Wheels | Goodyear 285/70/16 MTR | 48" Hi-Lift Jack | ToyTec Diff Drop | Warn Hitch Shackle | TRD Cold Air Intake | PIAA Intense White Bulbs | PIAA Silicone Wipers | Toyota Bed Mat |Sockmonkey Graphics | 20% Tint | Sport Hood | Scan Gauge II & Blend Mount | Shrockworks Sliders | ARB Bumper | Warn M8000 Winch | Viking Synthetic Winch line | 12-Volt Guy In-Dash Winch Controller | Viking Delrin Rollers | Daystar Winch Isolator| ARB/IPF 900XS Lights | Weather Tech Liners | Rock Lights | Diff Breather Mod | Extra Bed D-Rings | Misc. LED bulbs throughout
    It will settle. Mine did. Give it 500 miles or so and then make adjustments.

2. Dec 9, 2008 at 9:40 AM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    Hopefully you don't blow a CV joint before that. When I raised mine too high, I was absolutely paranoid that I was going to have problems before I had a chance to take it off and adjust them down...

So, with the clip set at the second setting and 2" of thread below the ring, how much lift did you get? First go round on mine (.85" and 1" of thread) I went up almost 4.5"!

3. Dec 9, 2008 at 9:56 AM
    Neubs

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Offroad DC 4X4
    ToyTec 5100 Bilstein Adjustable Coilovers w/ Eibach Springs | OME Darkar Leaf Springs | 5150 10" Bilstein Rear Shocks| Light Racing UCAs | All Pro U-Bolt Flip Kit | Timbren Rear Bumps | Extended Stainless Steel Rear Brake Lines | ARB CKMA12 On-Board Air Compressor | Method 16" Race Wheels | Goodyear 285/70/16 MTR | 48" Hi-Lift Jack | ToyTec Diff Drop | Warn Hitch Shackle | TRD Cold Air Intake | PIAA Intense White Bulbs | PIAA Silicone Wipers | Toyota Bed Mat |Sockmonkey Graphics | 20% Tint | Sport Hood | Scan Gauge II & Blend Mount | Shrockworks Sliders | ARB Bumper | Warn M8000 Winch | Viking Synthetic Winch line | 12-Volt Guy In-Dash Winch Controller | Viking Delrin Rollers | Daystar Winch Isolator| ARB/IPF 900XS Lights | Weather Tech Liners | Rock Lights | Diff Breather Mod | Extra Bed D-Rings | Misc. LED bulbs throughout
    I never had 4.5" of lift. I ran the drivers with about 1" of thread and the passengers side with less. I then adjusted the drivers side ip and the passenger side down to compensate for Taco Lean. Mine settled in about 1/2" and I later adjusted it accordingly. 4.5" of lift is way too much for these shocks. Mine is set close to between 2.5" and 3" now. I will say that it is easier to adjust down as opposed to up so it is probably a smart move to start on the high side and adjust down as you see fit. :)

BTY - Your truck is looking Killer!!!!!

4. Dec 9, 2008 at 10:25 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Does it have to be realigned if you adjust it down?

5. Dec 9, 2008 at 10:26 AM
    Neubs

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Offroad DC 4X4
    Yes, I would.

6. Dec 9, 2008 at 12:07 PM
    dtrujillo63

dtrujillo63 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Denny
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma DC 4x4 Sport
    My truck is getting aligned right now so I'll measure when I pick it up. Right now the truck almost sits leveled with the rear (TSB + AAL). I think I'm probably going to be sitting at about 3"-3.25" of lift. Here is why.

Originally, you had the clip on the second slot and had the adjuster nut above 1" of thread. You also have the toytec top plate which according to Doug provides an additional 1" lift. That gave you a total of a 4.25" lift.

My clip is on the second slot and I have the adjuster nut above 2"s of thread. I also have the OEM top plate which provides no additional lift. According to Doug, they redesigned the coilover body and made it 1" longer toward the bottom (thats why I now have 2"s of thread below the adjuster nut). If my calculations are right, I should have about 3.25"s of lift. I figured it will settle so about 3" after a couple hundred miles. I'll post pictures soon.

7. Dec 9, 2008 at 12:09 PM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    You're right - I keep forgetting about the top plate! :)

Great - looking forward to pics!

Products Discussed in

To Top