1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AAL, Diff drop install

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by duckcmdr, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Dec 7, 2008 at 8:28 AM
    duckcmdr

duckcmdr [OP] If it flies it dies!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB 4x4
    ARB Winch Bumper, Cabelas trial gear 2 mats, Wade vent shades, rear TSB, Toytec TSB AAL ,5100's set to 0,886 coils w/top plate 285/75/16 Treadwright at on Raceline Raptors, Toytec Diff drop, Bud Built Skids,Total Chaos LCA Skids,Devil horns,LED Dome Light,Scan Gauge, Rear Diff Breather, Revenge Fab Sliders. XRC 8 winch, Safari Snorkel, KC Daylighters 100 watt, Redline hood Struts & ez-down tailgate, G-stop extended SS brake lines,Homeroshi front grill and snorkle grill, relentless fab hc rear bumper
    I just got done getting my 5100,s (set at 2.5) and tires installed. I'm waiting for my AAL to come in. I was wondering how hard these are to install? Also do you need to get an alignment after putting these on? Are Diff drops hard to install? Trying to save a few dollars were i can. I'm fairly good with tools, i'v done engine swaps Cv joints and the basics on older vehicles just nothing in the suspension. I can't have my truck down for too long so if i do it i need to get it right.

2. Dec 7, 2008 at 8:49 AM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    Both are easy. I've done the diff drop and it takes all of 5 minutes. And the AAL, I've read instructions and looks to be pretty simple as well, just haven't installed my AAL yet.

And no, you don't need an alignment after installing the AAL.

3. Dec 7, 2008 at 8:52 AM
    Ghost96Romeo

Ghost96Romeo What is the Search Tab for????

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off-Road D-Cab
    3" Pro-Comp Suspension Lift AAL Rear w/TSB, All-Pro Plate Bumper, Lightforce 240 Blitz lights, Lund Genesis Roll-top Bed cover, K&N Filters, Spidertrax Wheel spacers, Built-by-Me Rock Sliders, Jeep Tow-Hook, Black Leather seats, 48"Hi-Lift Jack mounted in the bed, Blacked out TRD Rims, BHLM, FLM..... and Awesomeness
    I'll agree. The AAL took me about an hour on one side simply because I had difficulty with the shitty jack stands my dad has, the other side I was done in 45 minutes.

Only work on one side at a time when unbolting the springs, but take both wheels off when you start.:thumbsup:

4. Dec 7, 2008 at 9:29 AM
    duckcmdr

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB 4x4
    ARB Winch Bumper, Cabelas trial gear 2 mats, Wade vent shades, rear TSB, Toytec TSB AAL ,5100's set to 0,886 coils w/top plate 285/75/16 Treadwright at on Raceline Raptors, Toytec Diff drop, Bud Built Skids,Total Chaos LCA Skids,Devil horns,LED Dome Light,Scan Gauge, Rear Diff Breather, Revenge Fab Sliders. XRC 8 winch, Safari Snorkel, KC Daylighters 100 watt, Redline hood Struts & ez-down tailgate, G-stop extended SS brake lines,Homeroshi front grill and snorkle grill, relentless fab hc rear bumper
    Thanks for the advice longhorn and ghost. I just looked my aal will be her on Monday. I think I'm going to order my Diff drop today any advice on what kind?

5. Dec 7, 2008 at 9:32 AM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
  6. Dec 7, 2008 at 10:27 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    The rear AAL is easy. To make it a bit more so, have a couple of 6" "C" clamps so you can keep the spring pack compressed when removeing the center bolt, and have a long skinny punch of some kind, or a long 1/4" bolt (8" or so) so you can center the springs in the pack when reinstalling. Pay close attention to your brake line, as you dont want it to break when lowering your axel. Use jack stands to keep the truck in the air, mounted on the fram, and use a floor jack to raise and lower the axel. :)

7. Dec 7, 2008 at 10:36 AM
    duckcmdr

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB 4x4
    Just order the diff drop hopefully it here Wednesday when I have off.

Chris good info thanks. I going to the AAL and Diff drop on Wednesday

8. Dec 7, 2008 at 12:29 PM
    duckcmdr

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB 4x4
    +1 rep chris,longhorn and ghost.:D Thanks

9. Dec 7, 2008 at 12:51 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Glad to help. Remember to post pics when you're done... :)

10. Dec 7, 2008 at 12:54 PM
    duckcmdr

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB 4x4
    yeah i should have them up by the end of the week. Right now she is sitting about 1/2" to 3/4 low in the back. Between the billies and the tires i got a little bit more than 3" of lift in the front.

11. Dec 7, 2008 at 1:53 PM
    Ghost96Romeo

Ghost96Romeo What is the Search Tab for????

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off-Road D-Cab
    3" Pro-Comp Suspension Lift AAL Rear w/TSB, All-Pro Plate Bumper, Lightforce 240 Blitz lights, Lund Genesis Roll-top Bed cover, K&N Filters, Spidertrax Wheel spacers, Built-by-Me Rock Sliders, Jeep Tow-Hook, Black Leather seats, 48"Hi-Lift Jack mounted in the bed, Blacked out TRD Rims, BHLM, FLM..... and Awesomeness
    I measured my hitch reciever before and after the AAL was installed and I went from 18" all the way to 22" after. Best of luck and take your time to make it right!

12. Dec 10, 2008 at 1:13 PM
    Heiko

Heiko Member

Member:
    East Coast of Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 Dbl Cab 4x4 SR5 Auto
    duckcmdr, pls let us know how your set-up turns out. Do you have any issues with alingment with the 5100's at 2.5? I was going to put a set on my truck (with tsb done) and put them at 1.75 but if I can push it to 2.5 without running into UCA's or alingment issues I would do that.

13. Dec 10, 2008 at 1:58 PM
    duckcmdr

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB 4x4

Well I just finished the lift and seems good. It does pull ever so slightly to the right. I may have the alignment guy try to adjust that. It rides awesome Stiff but i like that. I will be putting my Diff drop on tommorrow to help the CVs. I have no rubbing because i went with the 265's instead of the 285's. I do plan on getting a set of TC UCAs but I got about $1400.00 in this know and my boat engine just went down so there went the UCA's.

Are you going to put an AAL on the rear? If Not your front will be up higher than the back by about 3/4" if you set at 2.5.

14. Dec 11, 2008 at 7:31 AM
    Heiko

Heiko Member

Member:
    East Coast of Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 Dbl Cab 4x4 SR5 Auto
    Thanks duckcmdr, truck looks good! This is the info I've been looking for, I have the exact same truck as you, right down to the color and box length.

Where did you get the Billy's from? Too bad toytec doesn't sell the billys and tsb AAL as a lift package deal.

So basically the TC UCA are not needed but they would be nice to have?

I was originally going to go with Billy's at 1.75 with just the TSB but seeing how your truck turned out, I think I'll go with 2.5 and TSB AAL.

15. Dec 11, 2008 at 7:34 AM
    311offroad

311offroad Stock Taco For Now

Member:
    Milledgeville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD OffRoad SR5 4x4 Short Bed Debadged
    20% tint, Debadged, Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT, Infinity component door speakers, MagLite mod
  16. Dec 12, 2008 at 8:23 AM
    duckcmdr

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB 4x4

I got the Billys from down south motor sports on ebay.
    Yeah the UCA is not needed put from what i understnd it helps with alignment. I guess the is more adjustment. My truck just leaks to the right a hair so i'm not to worried about it.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  17. Dec 12, 2008 at 8:25 AM
    duckcmdr

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB 4x4
  18. Dec 14, 2008 at 1:26 PM
    duckcmdr

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB 4x4
    Installed Diff drop today at work:D Its just as easy as you guys said. The directions say you need to make the holes in the skid plate larger but they seem to be already the right size. Thanks for the help guys.

Products Discussed in

To Top