Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

AAL, Diff drop install

Old 12-07-2008, 08:28 AM   #1
If it flies it dies!!
duckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
duckcmdr's Tacoma Gallery
AAL, Diff drop install

I just got done getting my 5100,s (set at 2.5) and tires installed. I'm waiting for my AAL to come in. I was wondering how hard these are to install? Also do you need to get an alignment after putting these on? Are Diff drops hard to install? Trying to save a few dollars were i can. I'm fairly good with tools, i'v done engine swaps Cv joints and the basics on older vehicles just nothing in the suspension. I can't have my truck down for too long so if i do it i need to get it right.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:52 AM   #3
What is the Search Tab for????
Ghost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 96 Romeos, 1st Infantry Division, 101st MI, Deployed to OIF2
Ghost96Romeo's Tacoma Gallery
I'll agree. The AAL took me about an hour on one side simply because I had difficulty with the shitty jack stands my dad has, the other side I was done in 45 minutes.

Only work on one side at a time when unbolting the springs, but take both wheels off when you start.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:27 AM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
The rear AAL is easy. To make it a bit more so, have a couple of 6" "C" clamps so you can keep the spring pack compressed when removeing the center bolt, and have a long skinny punch of some kind, or a long 1/4" bolt (8" or so) so you can center the springs in the pack when reinstalling. Pay close attention to your brake line, as you dont want it to break when lowering your axel. Use jack stands to keep the truck in the air, mounted on the fram, and use a floor jack to raise and lower the axel.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:53 PM   #11
What is the Search Tab for????
Ghost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 96 Romeos, 1st Infantry Division, 101st MI, Deployed to OIF2
Ghost96Romeo's Tacoma Gallery
I measured my hitch reciever before and after the AAL was installed and I went from 18" all the way to 22" after. Best of luck and take your time to make it right!
Old 12-10-2008, 01:13 PM   #12
Heiko is on a distinguished road
Heiko's Tacoma Gallery
duckcmdr, pls let us know how your set-up turns out. Do you have any issues with alingment with the 5100's at 2.5? I was going to put a set on my truck (with tsb done) and put them at 1.75 but if I can push it to 2.5 without running into UCA's or alingment issues I would do that.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:58 PM   #13
If it flies it dies!!
duckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiko View Post
duckcmdr, pls let us know how your set-up turns out. Do you have any issues with alingment with the 5100's at 2.5? I was going to put a set on my truck (with tsb done) and put them at 1.75 but if I can push it to 2.5 without running into UCA's or alingment issues I would do that.

Well I just finished the lift and seems good. It does pull ever so slightly to the right. I may have the alignment guy try to adjust that. It rides awesome Stiff but i like that. I will be putting my Diff drop on tommorrow to help the CVs. I have no rubbing because i went with the 265's instead of the 285's. I do plan on getting a set of TC UCAs but I got about $1400.00 in this know and my boat engine just went down so there went the UCA's.

Are you going to put an AAL on the rear? If Not your front will be up higher than the back by about 3/4" if you set at 2.5.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:31 AM   #14
Heiko is on a distinguished road
Heiko's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks duckcmdr, truck looks good! This is the info I've been looking for, I have the exact same truck as you, right down to the color and box length.

Where did you get the Billy's from? Too bad toytec doesn't sell the billys and tsb AAL as a lift package deal.

So basically the TC UCA are not needed but they would be nice to have?

I was originally going to go with Billy's at 1.75 with just the TSB but seeing how your truck turned out, I think I'll go with 2.5 and TSB AAL.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:34 AM   #15
Stock Taco For Now
311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
311offroad's Tacoma Gallery
Old 12-12-2008, 08:23 AM   #16
If it flies it dies!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiko View Post
Thanks duckcmdr, truck looks good! This is the info I've been looking for, I have the exact same truck as you, right down to the color and box length.

Where did you get the Billy's from? Too bad toytec doesn't sell the billys and tsb AAL as a lift package deal.

So basically the TC UCA are not needed but they would be nice to have?

I was originally going to go with Billy's at 1.75 with just the TSB but seeing how your truck turned out, I think I'll go with 2.5 and TSB AAL.

I got the Billys from down south motor sports on ebay.
Yeah the UCA is not needed put from what i understnd it helps with alignment. I guess the is more adjustment. My truck just leaks to the right a hair so i'm not to worried about it.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:26 PM   #18
If it flies it dies!!

Installed Diff drop today at work Its just as easy as you guys said. The directions say you need to make the holes in the skid plate larger but they seem to be already the right size. Thanks for the help guys.