Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

OME lift ?- Top plates not included?

Old 02-17-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
asolo is on a distinguished road
asolo's Tacoma Gallery
OME lift ?- Top plates not included?

Called a shop to see how much they could get the complete OME suspension for as well as install just the springs on the struts. Guy informed me that he will need my stock top plates to install the springs.

Is this correct?
Old 02-17-2012, 11:02 AM   #2
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Yes they are correct. You use factory top plates.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
They should only charge you an extra hour or two of labor to change out the front coilovers, and reuse the factory top plate. Toytec makes a complete front coilover for a couple hundred dollars more than OME, then you can get full leaf packs from OME for $200 each.
If your truck sees no salt, the install of the complete coilovers and leaf packs are driveway do-able.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:23 AM   #5
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
They should only charge you an extra hour or two of labor to change out the front coilovers, and reuse the factory top plate. Toytec makes a complete front coilover for a couple hundred dollars more than OME, then you can get full leaf packs from OME for $200 each.
If your truck sees no salt, the install of the complete coilovers and leaf packs are driveway do-able.
Swapping the Toytec coilover for the OME assumes the OP isn't using 886's
Old 02-17-2012, 11:26 AM   #6
asolo's Tacoma Gallery
I'll be using the 885x coils. Shop Quoted me $180 front, $180 rear installs, and $90 for the alignment. $450 total

I'd like to do it myself but I'm wise enough to know that sometimes your time (and sanity) doesn't have a price
Old 02-17-2012, 11:28 AM   #7
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by asolo View Post
I'll be using the 885x coils. Shop Quoted me $180 front, $180 rear installs, and $90 for the alignment. $450 total

I'd like to do it myself but I'm wise enough to know that sometimes your time (and sanity) doesn't have a price
Not a bad price .

You doing Dakars or AAL ?
Old 02-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #8
asolo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Not a bad price .

You doing Dakars or AAL ?
Dakars. All the way baby!

I've been waiting to get this lift for almost a year. Going to get in the GB for the LR UCA's. Now, if I could just find a damn camper shell on craigslist......
Old 02-17-2012, 11:36 AM   #9

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Dakars. All the way baby!

I've been waiting to get this lift for almost a year. Going to get in the GB for the LR UCA's. Now, if I could just find a damn camper shell on craigslist......
Have you read Anthony's thread on getting centre pin collars for the Dakars in case you need to use axle shims later ?
Old 02-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #10
asolo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Have you read Anthony's thread on getting centre pin collars for the Dakars in case you need to use axle shims later ?
Yes, I've bookmarked that thread. Very helpful. Did you install extended brake lines with your lift, Oz? Seems like it's not completely necessary but makes the install easier and a little more articulation room? Man, I would hate to have to bleed the brake lines too!

I'm on the fence about someone else installing but I'm leaning towards someone else doing it
Old 02-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #11

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I did not install extended brake lines , I did a test flex of my truck and still had slack for the amount my rig would ever be flexed .

If you plan on flexing it out offroad , extended are probably a good bet .

FWIW , we did not have any problems getting the Daks installed with the stock brake lines attached .

Are you going to have your cap on full time ?
Old 02-17-2012, 12:54 PM   #12
asolo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I did not install extended brake lines , I did a test flex of my truck and still had slack for the amount my rig would ever be flexed .

If you plan on flexing it out offroad , extended are probably a good bet .

FWIW , we did not have any problems getting the Daks installed with the stock brake lines attached .

Are you going to have your cap on full time ?
Good to know about the brake lines. Doing a Colorado trip in July but it won't be extreme.

As farnas the cap: Most likely 50/50 throughout the year. I have a garage that has a high ceiling so I will be installing a hoist to take it on and off.

Thanks for the feedback and info
Old 02-17-2012, 12:58 PM   #13

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Good to know about the brake lines. Doing a Colorado trip in July but it won't be extreme.

As farnas the cap: Most likely 50/50 throughout the year. I have a garage that has a high ceiling so I will be installing a hoist to take it on and off.

Thanks for the feedback and info
The reason I asked is , I have my Leer 100RCC cap on full time , it weighs in around 200-220 lbs , my Dakar pack sagged 1/2-5/8" in the 8 months since having it on . I'm going to add the OME AAL , the d29xl , to my Dakar pack to regain my lost height .

Just a heads up
Old 02-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #14
Texasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud of

Name: Chance
Texasdynaryder's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sorry to hijack but what is the purpose for this. Or would you drop a thread to me.. Justh curious
Old 02-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #15

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasdynaryder View Post
Sorry to hijack but what is the purpose for this. Or would you drop a thread to me.. Justh curious
With axle shim in place , the centre pin is not long enough to engage the axle securely

I'll find the thread , hang on
Old 02-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #17
asolo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The reason I asked is , I have my Leer 100RCC cap on full time , it weighs in around 200-220 lbs , my Dakar pack sagged 1/2-5/8" in the 8 months since having it on . I'm going to add the OME AAL , the d29xl , to my Dakar pack to regain my lost height .

Just a heads up
Ahh. Thanks. Once my bumper is hit by a deer I'll be replacing it with an ARB bumper. With the bumper but no winch it will be interesting to see if I can keep the 885s or have to step up to the 886s. Don't need a winch......yet.

huntark03 has the 5100's with eibachs and installed the ARB bumper. I would say there was 1/2" sag...possibly less. Just my estimation though