Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

lots of vibe trouble.... suspected from lift????

Old 02-17-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
dodgeramit18
dodgeramit18 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: firfighter 2
Name: keenan
dodgeramit18's Tacoma Gallery
lots of vibe trouble.... suspected from lift????

Howdy, I just recently traded for a 99 tacoma 4x4 with I believe 4 or 6 inch fabtech coilovers up front and i guess add a leafs in the rear, there's no blocks. But my issue that's driving me up the wall is i have a bad vibration problem. I've had tires balanced and rotated, new ball joints on both sides, new wheel barring on passenger side new cv axles and brakes done to try and resolve my irritating issue. Some of the vibe I beloved is coming from the rear end because the pinion shaft has a slight bow in it and also having a hard time finding a chunk for it cause it has the factory e-locker in it. But I think some vibe is from the front maybe not all but I NEED HELP!!!!! It's driving me up the wall, breaking the bank and my spare time working on this thing!! Any answers or help would be amazing and very appreciated.
Thanks guys, Keenan.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:32 PM   #2
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeramit18 View Post
Howdy, I just recently traded for a 99 tacoma 4x4 with I believe 4 or 6 inch fabtech coilovers up front and i guess add a leafs in the rear, there's no blocks. But my issue that's driving me up the wall is i have a bad vibration problem. I've had tires balanced and rotated, new ball joints on both sides, new wheel barring on passenger side new cv axles and brakes done to try and resolve my irritating issue. Some of the vibe I beloved is coming from the rear end because the pinion shaft has a slight bow in it and also having a hard time finding a chunk for it cause it has the factory e-locker in it. But I think some vibe is from the front maybe not all but I NEED HELP!!!!! It's driving me up the wall, breaking the bank and my spare time working on this thing!! Any answers or help would be amazing and very appreciated.
Thanks guys, Keenan.
Drop the carrier bearing about an inch & get back with us that all the vibe has gone away, then beat your head against a wall for dumping all the extra $$$ chasing it down......
Old 02-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
dantus is on a distinguished road

dantus's Tacoma Gallery
Is ther like drop kit for the carrier bearing similar to a diff drop kit..? ..
Old 02-19-2012, 02:50 PM   #4
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantus View Post
Is ther like drop kit for the carrier bearing similar to a diff drop kit..? ..

Oh yeah, you can get the cheaper route & get some 3/4" -1" spacers Or spend a little & get a carrier drop bracket thru the forum, orrrrrrr, go real cheap like me & find some 3/4" washered nuts that juuuuust slide over the carrier bolts & put them between the bracket & the frame (obliviously)
Old 02-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
dantus is on a distinguished road

dantus's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks..'
Old 02-20-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
TacomaChris has a spectacular aura aboutTacomaChris has a spectacular aura about

TacomaChris's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeramit18 View Post
Thanks guys, Keenan.
You need do check all of your driveline angles before doing anything. Just arbitrarily dropping a carrier bearing or installing shims won't help unless you know exactly which angles you're attempting to increase or decrease
Old 02-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #7
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaChris View Post
You need do check all of your driveline angles before doing anything. Just arbitrarily dropping a carrier bearing or installing shims won't help unless you know exactly which angles you're attempting to increase or decrease

Wrong...

Well, not entirely wrong, but you are being a little too anal about angles,

the OP's problem is going to be right at the pinion flange where the shaft bolts up, this isn't arbitrary, this is experience, I do this all the time, I don't know how many 1st & 2nd gens axles I've dropped doing rear suspensions & every single one of them ,this issue with vibrations after lift have been eliminated by doing exactly what I told OP to do.

With one piece drive shafts it would be a little more critical in regards to alignment, & this is where shims come into play & it would be done at the axle...
Old 02-20-2012, 02:48 PM   #8
TacomaChris has a spectacular aura aboutTacomaChris has a spectacular aura about

TacomaChris's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Wrong...

Well, not entirely wrong, but you are being a little too anal about angles,

the OP's problem is going to be right at the pinion flange where the shaft bolts up, this isn't arbitrary, this is experience, I do this all the time, I don't know how many 1st & 2nd gens axles I've dropped doing rear suspensions & every single one of them ,this issue with vibrations after lift have been eliminated by doing exactly what I told OP to do.

With one piece drive shafts it would be a little more critical in regards to alignment, & this is where shims come into play & it would be done at the axle...
After reading the OP's post it doesn't sound he knows where exactly it's coming from - hence my reply stating not to waste money or time until he knows where the vibes are coming from.

Dropping the CB may fix the pinion but may also increase the angle from the trans output. Knowing his angles will help him understand where the vibes are coming from and how to fix them depending on the severity
Old 02-20-2012, 02:54 PM   #9
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaChris View Post
After reading the OP's post it doesn't sound he knows where exactly it's coming from - hence my reply stating not to waste money or time until he knows where the vibes are coming from.

Dropping the CB may fix the pinion but may also increase the angle from the trans output. Knowing his angles will help him understand where the vibes are coming from and how to fix them depending on the severity

Nope, you've got the dbl cardan between the tail shaft of trans & the intermediate shaft.

But its not a totally bad idea to know what a proper drive angle looks like