Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

884 or 885 coils?

Old 12-08-2008, 12:39 AM   #1
How many words can be fit in this s
jdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
jdkeller's Tacoma Gallery
884 or 885 coils?

I will be purchasing a 3inch lift from toytech with the spacers up front, long add a leaf in the back, and front coils. I have an 08 dc prerunner. Is it better to buy the package with the 884 coils or the 885 coils? I do not have a winch or anything like that and will not be adding one so there is no additional weight up front. I mainly drive on road but will use the truck for off road 10-15 percent of the time so i want a nice smooth ride. Thanks for the help!
Old 12-08-2008, 12:46 AM   #2
TEXMEX TACO
alexamado is on a distinguished road

alexamado's Tacoma Gallery
I got 885's on mine and works great. I've been told that 885's are better for double cabs even if you don't have a winch up front. I also got the OME coils and the ride, IMO, is the same if not slightly better then stock.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:55 AM   #3
TacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to behold

Name: Justin
TacoTycoon's Tacoma Gallery
yeah Double Cabs should use 885 coils to attain the full 3in of lift in the front
Old 12-08-2008, 11:19 AM   #4
The Reel Sportsman
TacomaYAK will become famous soon enoughTacomaYAK will become famous soon enough

TacomaYAK's Tacoma Gallery
I have the 885's on my Access Cab..
Old 12-08-2008, 12:05 PM   #5
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
Go with the 885's for the double cab even if you're not adding weight up front
Old 12-08-2008, 06:13 PM   #7
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
Ok i appreciate the responses. Ill go with the 885's then. 32" mud terrains would fit right? Because I know most people talk about wanting 33's but i dont want to do any cutting.
You'll probably have to remove the front mudflaps.... might still be a little bit of rub but you should be close
Old 12-08-2008, 06:14 PM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
With the OME 885's and 32's, you should have no rubbing.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:12 AM   #9
TSer is on a distinguished road
TSer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I will be purchasing a 3inch lift from toytech with the spacers up front, long add a leaf in the back, and front coils. I have an 08 dc prerunner. Is it better to buy the package with the 884 coils or the 885 coils? I do not have a winch or anything like that and will not be adding one so there is no additional weight up front. I mainly drive on road but will use the truck for off road 10-15 percent of the time so i want a nice smooth ride. Thanks for the help!
I put the 884's in my double cab. After settling it lifted it about 1.25 inches. If you are after lift, go for the 885's. The ride with the 884's and n140s shocks is super smooth. I'm happy with it and there isn't as much stress on the drive and spension components, compared with 885's. I'm sure I could run 32's if I wanted.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:55 AM   #10
ilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gavin
ilovetacos's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to ilovetacos
I have the 885 coils and my 32" Mud Terrains do not rub at all unless I stuff them really good. The 885's paired with a 1/4" top plate spacer provided me about 2.5" of lift because my 885 coils settled after about 3 months.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:56 AM   #12
Redfox458 will become famous soon enough

Redfox458's Tacoma Gallery
So if I get some 885s with the 1/4" spacer, should I do a transfer case drop and use 5100s?

The issue with me is that I have a stock setup with the rear TSB. I need tires after 22k miles of the Dueler H/Ts. Wet weather is approaching and I need something beefier. I'd hate to throw some nicer A/Ts on there and then lift it later and realize I could have gone with a bigger tire. All at the same time, I cant afford a huge amount of stuff. What's the best deal for the least amount of money?? Should I also consider the rear AAL TSB spring since the back sits exactly 3" higher?
Old 09-11-2009, 01:08 AM   #13
jdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfox458 View Post
So if I get some 885s with the 1/4" spacer, should I do a transfer case drop and use 5100s?

The issue with me is that I have a stock setup with the rear TSB. I need tires after 22k miles of the Dueler H/Ts. Wet weather is approaching and I need something beefier. I'd hate to throw some nicer A/Ts on there and then lift it later and realize I could have gone with a bigger tire. All at the same time, I cant afford a huge amount of stuff. What's the best deal for the least amount of money?? Should I also consider the rear AAL TSB spring since the back sits exactly 3" higher?
You can get the 885's but I would use the OME shocks instead of the billys. Transfer case drop??? Do you mean differential drop? Only do it if you end up needing it. I ran the front OME lift and rear tsb springs and fit 285/75/16's.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:48 AM   #14
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Is there a point when you need to step up to 886? I'm trying to get a visual.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:43 PM   #15

Quote:
You can get the 885's but I would use the OME shocks instead of the billys. Transfer case drop??? Do you mean differential drop? Only do it if you end up needing it. I ran the front OME lift and rear tsb springs and fit 285/75/16's.
Yes, I meant differential drop...you get kind of silly after 35 hours with no sleep

You ran front OME lift (coils and shocks), and JUST the rear TSB springs? Thats my ideal setup...maybe some airbags in the rear for when I tow
Old 09-11-2009, 05:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenmunga View Post
Is there a point when you need to step up to 886? I'm trying to get a visual.
You get the 886's if you plan on adding weight to the front like an offroad bumper and/or winch.
Quote:
Yes, I meant differential drop...you get kind of silly after 35 hours with no sleep

You ran front OME lift (coils and shocks), and JUST the rear TSB springs? Thats my ideal setup...maybe some airbags in the rear for when I tow
Yes I bought it without an aal. I wanted to see first how I liked the stance. Front was about 1/4" higher than the back. Oh, and I wasnt running the 1/4" spacer up front. But after some offroading and crazy flexing, the tires would rub the front of the rear fenders. So I got an All Pro 3" leaf pack setup. Now my rear is like 3/4 to an inch higher. Just depends on what you want and if you offroad.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:34 PM   #17

Quote:
You get the 886's if you plan on adding weight to the front like an offroad bumper and/or winch.

Yes I bought it without an aal. I wanted to see first how I liked the stance. Front was about 1/4" higher than the back. Oh, and I wasnt running the 1/4" spacer up front. But after some offroading and crazy flexing, the tires would rub the front of the rear fenders. So I got an All Pro 3" leaf pack setup. Now my rear is like 3/4 to an inch higher. Just depends on what you want and if you offroad.
Ok so I am going to get TOTALLY flamed here for saying this...but whatev. I have my 2007 TRD sport access 6spd 4X4, bought it new in June of '07 and haven't wheeled it once....with the exception of it being in 4 wheel for a week during the snow storm in Portland last year. With that being said, I'd like to do some light wheeling (nothing too serious, its my every day driver), plus I haul my quad and a trailer from time to time. So this is the lift I was thinking:

OME 885 coils with top plate spacers (for full 3" lift)
Front Bilstein 5100 series shocks set at 0
OME N182 Rear shocks (seem to be a better deal for the $$)
1 1/2" AAL w/TSB rear springs

Total: $678.96.....ouch, guess you get what you pay for...

Do you think I'll need the differential drop, or UCAs?? I'm almost at my limit of spending, especially for almost $1,000 in tires too....

I wanted to get the rough country 3" lift on my truck, but figured that there was a reason everybody was going with the OME instead....
Old 09-12-2009, 09:25 PM   #18

Ok....so how about instead I get the OME suspension lift kit from toytec? Seems like I pay a little more and get ALL OME. Will they substitute the 1 1/2" rear leafs for the TSB ones? Or should I just get the block in the back? GRRRRRRR too many options!
Old 09-13-2009, 01:41 AM   #19

Quote:
Ok....so how about instead I get the OME suspension lift kit from toytec? Seems like I pay a little more and get ALL OME. Will they substitute the 1 1/2" rear leafs for the TSB ones? Or should I just get the block in the back? GRRRRRRR too many options!
Get the tsb aal if you have the tsb done. they will gladly substitute. Also, new uca's are required to correct alignment issues but are not necessary.

If you want to spend less, get the 5100 bilsteins all the way around and set the front ones for 2.5" of lift. Then no new uca's! If you arent doing a lot of offroading this will work fine.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:12 AM   #20

Quote:
Get the tsb aal if you have the tsb done. they will gladly substitute. Also, new uca's are required to correct alignment issues but are not necessary.

If you want to spend less, get the 5100 bilsteins all the way around and set the front ones for 2.5" of lift. Then no new uca's! If you arent doing a lot of offroading this will work fine.
Do you think if I get all new bilsteins with the front set at 2.5, and then get the AAL for the TSB in the rear, that it will look bad? I just know that with my quad in the back as of now, it sets perfectly level. I'd like to keep that stance, only a little bit higher....