1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

lift kit??

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Manofs, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Jul 14, 2007 at 11:59 AM
    SLOTaco

SLOTaco Ultimate Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport
    '06 TRD Sport 4x4 AC, K&N drop in air filter, Magnaflow cat back, Bilstein 5100's with Toytec adjustable front coil over 3" lift, rear TSB, AllPro UCA's.
    The Toytec sight says its ok to use stock front and rear shocks, but I was still a little sketchy on that as well, so I called them and a few other places. I talked to the actual service technicians at Toytec, and at Wheeler's Off Road. Both places say stock shocks are perfectly fine on 2nd gen tacoma's but not on 1st gen. If you have the trd bilstien shocks they are very high quality and I wouldn't change them.

2. Jul 17, 2007 at 1:06 AM
    reid

reid Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 V6 Access Cab
    Magna Flow stainless cat-back, 3" Toytec Lift, 32" Mickey Thompsons
    Does that go for all 07 tacomas. I have an 07 v6 sr5 but not the trd. Do you know it these shocks would work as well?

3. Jul 17, 2007 at 8:01 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    according to toytech's site they work "exceptionally" well

4. Jul 17, 2007 at 9:17 AM
    tacoGrande

tacoGrande Member

Member:
    Bellevue, NE
    Vehicle:
    silver 02' Prerunner xtra cab
    Working on it.........
    I put a 3" Rev Tek spacer lift on mine which comes with 1 1/2" or 1 1/4" blocks on the back and didn't need to switch the shocks out. Found it for $350. Stock ride was unaffected. Make sure if you do a spacer lift that the spacers are split on the top and bottom of the front coils, I've heard bad things about kits that are not set up that way

5. Jul 17, 2007 at 3:05 PM
    reid

reid Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 V6 Access Cab
    I have heard that if you do not change the shocks, the springs will sag over time has anyone experinced this?

6. Jul 17, 2007 at 5:00 PM
    TacoMachine

TacoMachine New Member

Member:
    I'm new at this stuff, I recently sold my car and got an 05 Tacoma Prerunner. Are lift kits for trucks bad for the suspension like lowering springs on a car?

7. Jul 17, 2007 at 11:18 PM
    SLOTaco

SLOTaco Ultimate Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport
    '06 TRD Sport 4x4 AC, K&N drop in air filter, Magnaflow cat back, Bilstein 5100's with Toytec adjustable front coil over 3" lift, rear TSB, AllPro UCA's.
    If you buy a quality kit and install the right parts it shouldn't be harder on any of your front end components. I've heard that the spacer kit wont cause sag of springs, but he old man emu springs sag over time, don't know if its true, but for $140 for a set, you can replace them when they do.

8. Jul 18, 2007 at 2:03 AM
    reid

reid Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 V6 Access Cab
    So.. the spacer kit is cheaper, and the springs wont sag because the original springs are used and are not compressed any more than when originally installed. But the OME spring kit is more expensive, might sag ( I have heard of this a couple of times) and will stiffen up the front suspension because the springs are longer and are therefore compressed more when you put them in. I thought about maybe using the 885 springs from Toytec instead of their 884 springs to try to eliminate the sag, but I am leaning towards cheap and worry free spacers now.

9. Jul 18, 2007 at 2:51 PM
    TacoMachine

TacoMachine New Member

Member:
    How's the RevTek lift?

10. Jul 18, 2007 at 3:53 PM
    tacoGrande

tacoGrande Member

Member:
    Bellevue, NE
    Vehicle:
    silver 02' Prerunner xtra cab
    Working on it.........
    I put a Rev Tek 3" spacer lift on mine 6 months ago. Real happy with it. It's a good way to go for an easy lift that doesn't change much about the stock suspension other than the height.

11. Jul 24, 2007 at 10:38 PM
    bagman89

bagman89 New Member

Member:
    Does anyone have the toytec 3" lift with the new coil springs rather than the
    spacer. Hows the ride compared to stock. Is it as plush? Looking for a plush 3" ride not stiff ride. Also is the toytec kit a DYI in your garage. Do you need any special tools, spring compression etc... Many of the kits advertise that you can install them with basic hand tools. I'm a novice so any help, opinions, install tricks, anything and/or your opinions as to who makes the best 3" kit available would be appreciated

12. Jul 24, 2007 at 10:53 PM
    stackyochips26

stackyochips26 Member

Member:
    I recently bought the 3 inch toytect with the front spacer and the rear aals

I was considering doing it myself but i didn't want to risk messing anything up so i forker over $300 dollars for the install and alignment to one of the shops near me

The ride is a bit stiffer but nothing i'd complain about or even notice for the most part

Over all i was quite satisfied with it

If you want to see pix check out my car domain!

13. Aug 7, 2007 at 12:08 AM
    TacoMachine

TacoMachine New Member

Member:
    Anybody have the Pro Comp lift? If you do, how does it ride?

14. Aug 7, 2007 at 5:56 PM
    reid

reid Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 V6 Access Cab
    I just installed the ToyTec lift last weekend. I did it myself. You only need baisc handtools, except for the spring compressor. They range from $25-$150 dollars for a home garage style one. I have built and worked on motorcycles for many years but have limited experience with cars or trucks. I have never worked with the suspension components. It took me 5 hours to do the front spacers and 4 to do the add-a-leafs. Anyone with more experience and a garage could do it faster. I did it on the street in front of my house. THe instructions are pretty good. If you dont have a spring compressor you could do all of the other work and take your springs to a shop and have them put in the spacers. I did that and they only charged me $40. Ill make a new post when I get some pictures later in the week about my experience with this kit. I also did the 1"diff drop. Takes 15 min, probably a good idea.Only $20.

15. Aug 7, 2007 at 6:35 PM
    rick

rick `

Member:
    what lift? how high front and back? and does your truck sit level? thanx

16. Aug 7, 2007 at 6:40 PM
    rick

rick `

Member:
    nice truck btw stack. perfect

17. Aug 7, 2007 at 10:27 PM
    reid

reid Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 V6 Access Cab
    ToyTec 3"spacer lift on the front and 2"add-a-leaf in the back.
    The rear sits a little higher. BUT this is the way that it looks best. Because I installed the front first I actually measured the distance from the top of the tire to the bottom of the fender flare, front and back. With just the front spacer lift and rear left stock the truck actually has the same lift front and back. It does sit level. But it looks like CRAP.
    Our trucks are not designed to look good level. Despite actually being level, it looked like the front of the truck was higher. It is just the design of the body.
    After installing the rear 2"lift it looks awsome. Way better, I am very happy with the lift.
    I still have to update my picture.

Products Discussed in

To Top