Notices

Home made rear leaf blocks

Old 02-19-2012, 09:02 PM   #1
TJDaveC is on a distinguished road

Navy:
Name: Dave
TJDaveC's Tacoma Gallery
Home made rear leaf blocks

Has anyone tried making home made blocks for the rear leafs? Most of the blocks I have found on websites are made from cast iron. Would a 1" steel block cut to size and some extended U-Bolts do the job effectivaly, or would the steel rust and eventually break? Anyone try it yet?
Old 02-19-2012, 09:05 PM   #2
Out fer a Rip eh Bud
VanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: DJ
VanCity4x's Tacoma Gallery
I guy i know has been thinking of making his own for awhile. I got my kit for $100, 2.5'' front strut spacer with extenders and rear blocks with u bolts. It would be more expensive to make your own i think.

It would be a cool project tho.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:06 PM   #3
jbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jbmccul's Tacoma Gallery
Old 02-19-2012, 09:21 PM   #7
FrankNasti is a jewel in the roughFrankNasti is a jewel in the roughFrankNasti is a jewel in the roughFrankNasti is a jewel in the rough

Name: Frank
FrankNasti's Tacoma Gallery
I would just save time AND weight, make it out of wood.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:21 PM   #8
Go Pro Junkie
Toy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Garrett
Toy Yoda's Tacoma Gallery
Old 02-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #9

Navy:
TJDaveC's Tacoma Gallery
I have no intentions of taking this truck off road, I have a highly modified jeep for that. This is just my daily driver. I want to level it out. I know everyone shuns the use of spacers, however, I just installed 2.5" spacers on the front to bring it up some. Now the front is a little bit taller than the rear. I have access to steel. The only cost to me would be the U-Bolts. I've been doing a lot of searching and it seems majority of the broken struts from spacers are from bottoming out the suspension. I'm not going to have this truck in a situation that would have that much down travel. It should be fine for daily driving. If it does break then I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:25 PM   #10
Go Pro Junkie
Toy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Garrett
Toy Yoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDaveC View Post
I have no intentions of taking this truck off road, I have a highly modified jeep for that. This is just my daily driver. I want to level it out. I know everyone shuns the use of spacers, however, I just installed 2.5" spacers on the front to bring it up some. Now the front is a little bit taller than the rear. I have access to steel. The only cost to me would be the U-Bolts. I've been doing a lot of searching and it seems majority of the broken struts from spacers are from bottoming out the suspension. I'm not going to have this truck in a situation that would have that much down travel. It should be fine for daily driving. If it does break then I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
to each his own man, i'd just spend 40-60 bucks and get the blocks
Old 02-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #11
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Has anyone tried making home made blocks for the rear leafs? Most of the blocks I have found on websites are made from cast iron. Would a 1" steel block cut to size and some extended U-Bolts do the job effectivaly, or would the steel rust and eventually break? Anyone try it yet?
Shipmate..... spend the $100 on a aal and install that your self. Blocks can damage your leaf's and whatever you rigg up will not be safe. Don't be cheep. Do it right.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #12

Navy:
TJDaveC's Tacoma Gallery
I guess my real question is about Cast Iron vs Steel...
Old 02-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #13

Navy:
TJDaveC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrdSurgie View Post
Shipmate..... spend the $100 on a aal and install that your self. Blocks can damage your leaf's and whatever you rigg up will not be safe. Don't be cheep. Do it right.

LOL...Did you just Shipmate me???

edit: All of the AAL kits I am finding are more than 1". Any brand recomendations?
Old 02-19-2012, 09:29 PM   #14
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Where are you finding an aal for $100
http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72
Old 02-19-2012, 09:31 PM   #15
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
LOL...Did you just Shipmate me???

Where are you finding an aal for $100
Sure did lol. Go to toytec lifts they also have a TW discount
Old 02-19-2012, 09:36 PM   #17
Out fer a Rip eh Bud
VanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: DJ
VanCity4x's Tacoma Gallery
Def Cast iron. The hardest part would be getting the top nub so it fits in the leaf. If you think you could make them, go ahead. It would be cool to see what the product looks like.

My rear blocks have been fine so far.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:38 PM   #18
once flirted with danger, danger got clingy
magikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: greg
magikbean562's Tacoma Gallery
so youd rather spend money on a rig you rarely use and have an unsafe one for daily use. think it over for a second.

1.5" aal
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05uptacoaal.htm
Old 02-19-2012, 09:38 PM   #19

Navy:
TJDaveC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrdSurgie View Post
Sure did lol. Go to toytec lifts they also have a TW discount
The smallest one they have is 1 1/2". I think that will put me back where I was with the rear being higher than the front. Anyone know what it takes to level it out with 2.5" in the front. I searched it earlier and a couple of threads said it takes 1".
Old 02-19-2012, 09:39 PM   #20
once flirted with danger, danger got clingy
magikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: greg
magikbean562's Tacoma Gallery
is a 1/2" gonna really be noticeable?