Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

need about .5" to 1" lift to stop rubbing, and suggestions?

Old 02-26-2012, 03:24 PM   #21
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidson View Post
guess i need to start saving... haha
tw has ruined any possibilities of me getting a savings account
Well yeah... seems to be what TW does best!
Old 02-26-2012, 04:32 PM   #22
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Just trim the areas that show rubbing. The lip of your flare looks chewed up so I'd trim that up an inch or two and cut half of the black liner as well. I'll try to get a pic of mine. PSU Taco85 showed what needs to be done if your rubbing at the rear part (look up pinch weld mod)......new uca's will push your wheel back towards the rear and then you'll have to trim there too, at that point youll have to play with the caster to get it out of there. 2.8 does the job. Your best bet is to just keep trimming the front until they no longer make noise.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:51 PM   #23
Zombie Killer!
705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dean
705 Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
Your best bet is to just keep trimming the front until they no longer make noise.
I strongly agree. I have a 6 inch DB lift plust Eibach springs and my 33's rub slightly. My tires are less than 1/2 inch taller than yours and they're not as wide and I still have rubbing. If I was to wheel this truck I would have to trim.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:20 AM   #24
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Crappy pics but everywhere they left rub marks I trimmed until they no longer made noise! Had to hammer the pinch weld back because stuffing them with 3* caster was still rubbing....and the cab mounts were chopped!
Attached Thumbnails
need about .5" to 1" lift to stop rubbing, and suggestions?-imag0051-1-.jpg   need about .5" to 1" lift to stop rubbing, and suggestions?-imag0053-1-.jpg  
Old 02-27-2012, 03:04 PM   #25
Davidson is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: Cody
Davidson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Crappy pics but everywhere they left rub marks I trimmed until they no longer made noise! Had to hammer the pinch weld back because stuffing them with 3* caster was still rubbing....and the cab mounts were chopped!
wow so i have a lot of trimming to do. I'm planning on wheelin this weekend and I'm certain I'm going to rub every which way haha. oh well i guess its all apart of it
Old 02-27-2012, 03:14 PM   #26
valon5150 will become famous soon enough

Name: Steven
valon5150's Tacoma Gallery
More lift won't fix anything, it is only using up your front suspensions down travel, it still compresses to the same spot as stock suspension. Best to do is trim it. I would suggest you put the front end on jacks, pull your coils and then start cutting till you can stuff the tire all and not rub.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:38 PM   #27
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
keep hacking until they dont rub, as long as you can stand how it looks and you arent grinding inside the cab you havent cut too much
Old 02-27-2012, 08:37 PM   #28
valon5150 will become famous soon enough

Name: Steven
valon5150's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
keep hacking until they dont rub, as long as you can stand how it looks and you arent grinding inside the cab you havent cut too much

grinding into the cab isn't necessarily cutting too much as long as you can sheet metal up the holes afterwards
Old 02-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #29
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Just keep cutting shit and hitting shit with a hammer until they fit.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:01 PM   #31
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
I've trimmed more than that, and I have a higher lift, and less negative offset on my wheels.

I used a strip of 1"x1/4" aluminum stock to fashion a fender liner bracket that pulls the inner fender liner forward. There's a pic or two in the "bjmoose installs OME" thread.

It's also nice to use a heat gun - then you can reshape parts of the fender liner without cutting it away.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:03 PM   #32
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Stick with what you've got. If you go to the UCAs, you'll switch from clearance issues at the front to clearance issues at the back - and trimming that front plastic is easier than a cab mount chop.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:34 PM   #33
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
FYI, Treadwrights run big. A "32" is more like a 32.5. Too late now...

I've done some chopping and hammering on mine

Paint it black and forget about it
Old 03-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #34
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidson View Post
So I'm running the 5100's with stock springs. set at 2.5". i just bought new tires and got them mounted, guard dog by treadwright 285/70-17. I've trimmed what feels like a considerable amount but still get a lot of rubbing. (and all this is on flat ground, dont even mention a bump)

So I'm guessing an easy fix would be to add an extra inch of lift or so. or would this not help? i cant afford to go buy the ultimate lift or an icon lift. so i was thinking of buying the eibach springs. would this produce any extra lift with the 5100's? and if so would i need uca's?

here is how it sits as of right now

thanks in advance!

Great tire choice. I love mine. Got them in 255/75/17.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:49 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvdeserted View Post
FYI, Treadwrights run big. A "32" is more like a 32.5. Too late now...

I've done some chopping and hammering on mine

Paint it black and forget about it
i have yet to trim the rear part of the front fender well. im planning on doing the weld seam mod tho soon. hopefully all goes well
Old 03-02-2012, 05:52 PM   #36

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Are you rubbing back there? If not, just trim the front. It wasn't until I got my uca's on that I needed to trim there!
Old 03-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #37

Quote:
Are you rubbing back there? If not, just trim the front. It wasn't until I got my uca's on that I needed to trim there!
i havent been out yet. im going out tomrw and ill see how bad it hits and where. if it hits the rear than im going to have to do this
Old 03-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #38

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Cool, its really not that bad! I just used a big ass hammer but the other guys where smart by cutting small strips making the hammering easy! Hit it with some black spray paint to prevent rusting!
Old 03-02-2012, 06:17 PM   #39

Quote:
Cool, its really not that bad! I just used a big ass hammer but the other guys where smart by cutting small strips making the hammering easy! Hit it with some black spray paint to prevent rusting!
thanks for the help! very appreciated