Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

need about .5" to 1" lift to stop rubbing, and suggestions?

Old 02-26-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
Davidson is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: Cody
Davidson's Tacoma Gallery
need about .5" to 1" lift to stop rubbing, and suggestions?

So I'm running the 5100's with stock springs. set at 2.5". i just bought new tires and got them mounted, guard dog by treadwright 285/70-17. I've trimmed what feels like a considerable amount but still get a lot of rubbing. (and all this is on flat ground, dont even mention a bump)

So I'm guessing an easy fix would be to add an extra inch of lift or so. or would this not help? i cant afford to go buy the ultimate lift or an icon lift. so i was thinking of buying the eibach springs. would this produce any extra lift with the 5100's? and if so would i need uca's?

here is how it sits as of right now

thanks in advance!
Old 02-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #5
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidson View Post
rims are 17x9 and offset of -12
Alright well that checks out.

The easiest way to get 0.5" more lift would be a thin top plate spacer from toytec.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:43 PM   #6

would that really solve the problem tho? thats what im curious about also.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:51 PM   #7
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
would that really solve the problem tho? thats what im curious about also.
It only costs $25 so it's worth a shot before you cut more.

I'm thinking you are rubbing more than others due to the aggressive tread of the guard dogs.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #8

yea the spacer would be cheap. But, i hear from various people that once you go over 3" lift you should highly consider getting new uca's. so with these new spacers it would put me at 3". are new uca's now a must for me?
Old 02-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #9
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yea the spacer would be cheap. But, i hear from various people that once you go over 3" lift you should highly consider getting new uca's. so with these new spacers it would put me at 3". are new uca's now a must for me?
Yeah pretty much. Your caster will be way out of whack
Old 02-26-2012, 01:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
It will solve your problem until you hit a bump and the suspension compresses

The only real way to get a tire to fit is to massage those fenders until theres plenty of room at full stuff.
so your suggestion is to not worry about additional lift and just keeping trimming?
Old 02-26-2012, 01:58 PM   #11
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Get out your snips and grab some zip ties.
Free fix.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Yeah pretty much. Your caster will be way out of whack
well the cheapest uca's thought I've come across are the lights racing. about $450-ish
Old 02-26-2012, 02:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
Get out your snips and grab some zip ties.
Free fix.

well i was worried about trimming to much but after looking at yours i think i still have a lot to go haha
Old 02-26-2012, 02:03 PM   #14
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
well i was worried about trimming to much but after looking at yours i think i still have a lot to go haha
That picture is from my wife's 4runner, but it's basically the same thing.

Don't be scared to trim to make room. Better than a tire lug grabbing a hold of it and ripping the whole damn thing out. My tin snips and my Ford tool (4 lb sledge) made all the room I needed.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:08 PM   #15

hmm looks like i have some trimming to get into next weekend. so i still want to get the eibach springs for the front and an aal for the rear to help out. does the 5100's and the eibachs produce more lift?
Old 02-26-2012, 02:11 PM   #16

Quote:
If you want to spend money on more lift go for it. But more lift won't fix the rubbing issues you are having is all I'm saying. Here's what I cut out of my rear of my front fenderwell

ive been tossing around the idea of a lift for awhile now but i wasn't sure if it would fix anything. i don't mind trimming i just wasn't sure what a safe/recommend amount was. but now that i see how much others have trimmed i know i still have a lot of work to do
Old 02-26-2012, 02:20 PM   #17
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
well the cheapest uca's thought I've come across are the lights racing. about $450-ish
There's a group buy on the Light Racing UCAs for $375 shipped. It ends today.

Quote:
the eibach springs give 1.6" of lift by themselves so whatever you set your 5100s to add that in.
There's a kit from Toytec to get you 3" with 5100's, Eibachs and a thickertop plate spacer.

Just a thought, if you're only rubbing in the front, would UCA's solve your problem? With the additional caster adjustment, it'd put your tire further back in the wheel well and might stop the rubbing in the front. Again, just a thought, hopefully someone will chime in and either confirm or deny it.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
There's a group buy on the Light Racing UCAs for $375 shipped. It ends today.

There's a kit from Toytec to get you 3" with 5100's, Eibachs and a thickertop plate spacer.

Just a thought, if you're only rubbing in the front, would UCA's solve your problem? With the additional caster adjustment, it'd put your tire further back in the wheel well and might stop the rubbing in the front. Again, just a thought, hopefully someone will chime in and either confirm or deny it.
if i go with eibachs, i need the uca's dont i?
Old 02-26-2012, 02:29 PM   #19
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
if i go with eibachs, i need the uca's dont i?
If you are running them with the other components that achieve 3" of lift, yes.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:32 PM   #20

guess i need to start saving... haha
tw has ruined any possibilities of me getting a savings account