Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Issues with lift

Old 02-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
tiger041988 is on a distinguished road
tiger041988's Tacoma Gallery
Issues with lift

Just had a conversation with my Dad about the ill effects a lift and bigger tires will have on my truck. He is worried that it is going to have serious issues or problems due to me putting bilstein 5100s and 285s on my truck. I understand his worrying as I just bought the truck and am going to be paying for it for the next 5 years. Any horror stories? Or better yet can anybody calm my mind?
Old 02-26-2012, 04:24 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Major problems? Not really. You can search the forums for issues related to lifts - there are plenty of not so major ones.

Who's truck is it anyway? And by that I mean "who's name is on the title", not "who drives it most".
Old 02-26-2012, 04:26 PM   #3
It's my truck. I'm 24 but he's just looking out for what's best for me. Just thought id ask
Old 02-26-2012, 04:27 PM   #4
He was asking about the drivetrain, speedo, transmission
Old 02-26-2012, 04:28 PM   #5
Senior NEWBIE
Tigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Isaac
Tigahshark's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger041988 View Post
It's my truck. I'm 24 but he's just looking out for what's best for me. Just thought id ask
He's just being a dad and lookin out for ya
Old 02-26-2012, 04:37 PM   #7
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
To be perfectly honest your mpg might go down, you might get vibs, your cv boots might wear faster, and you might need new uca's.
and you'll be broke
Old 02-26-2012, 04:41 PM   #8
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Do it. You'll love it.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:06 PM   #9
I'm fine with mpg going down a bit. Some vibes are okay. I just dont want to ruin my new truck. All this is helpful though. Thanks a lot guys
Old 02-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #10
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabio
k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
Your parts that usually wear out....Wll wear out faster that's all. With a Toyota it's very minor.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:12 PM   #11
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9cop View Post
Your parts that usually wear out....Wll wear out faster that's all. With a Toyota it's very minor.
Yep. Bushings, Ball Joints, wheel bearings will all suffer to some degree. How much is hard to say. Also bigger tires put more stress on the drive train. How much is hard to say.

You'll be fine but things will wear out faster than they would have with stock suspension and tires.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:51 PM   #12
jrws6 is a jewel in the roughjrws6 is a jewel in the roughjrws6 is a jewel in the roughjrws6 is a jewel in the rough

Army: 101st Airborne
Name: Jason
jrws6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger041988 View Post
I'm fine with mpg going down a bit. Some vibes are okay. I just dont want to ruin my new truck. All this is helpful though. Thanks a lot guys

Set your front billies at 1.75 and get a rear tsb done or equivelnet if you are out of warranty time. I did this with both my tacomas and had zero issues. It equates to a very nice leveling kit that almost looks lifted but looks like a virgin truck at the same time.
Truck would look better with 285's these were 265/70/17 Nitto Teragrapplers

Old 02-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #13
Super Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Grayson
Super Black Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
To be perfectly honest your mpg might go down, you might get vibs, your cv boots might wear faster, and you might need new uca's.
But it will look cool!