Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Rust on Shocks

Old 02-27-2012, 10:55 AM   #21
tsfenrir is on a distinguished road

Army:
Name: Travis
tsfenrir's Tacoma Gallery
I had purchased them with the UCA's and rear Fox's as a package deal.....the rears don't look anything like the fronts. The maintenance sheet they sent suggested to wax the bodies to keep them healthy. I did a few times and this still happened. Still awaiting a reply from FOX.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:44 PM   #22
Cuz Stock Sucks!
SDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SDHQ OFFROAD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermoto View Post
You work with ALOT of shocks and installs. In your opinion does one brand have a better coating than another? (not counting the old sway aways ha) IMO they are all very similar
much like you we live far far away from the salt belt so most of our builds that are coming back into the shop on a regular basis stay extremely clean and rust free but in my opinion Icon is the only brand with a recognized and advertised solution to the problem straight out of the box, that would probably be my first choice and recommendation to anyone ordering from that neck of the woods. The new 2.0 VS rear shocks are aluminum bodied as well.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:54 PM   #23
Supermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Landon
Supermoto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDHQ OFFROAD View Post
much like you we live far far away from the salt belt so most of our builds that are coming back into the shop on a regular basis stay extremely clean and rust free but in my opinion Icon is the only brand with a recognized and advertised solution to the problem straight out of the box, that would probably be my first choice and recommendation to anyone ordering from that neck of the woods. The new 2.0 VS rear shocks are aluminum bodied as well.
Yeah i have heard great things about their coating. Thats cool they have an aluminum bodied shock now, before that it was just the Blackhawk right? Does ICON still use proprietary valving shims?
Old 02-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #24
Cuz Stock Sucks!
SDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SDHQ OFFROAD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermoto View Post
Yeah i have heard great things about their coating. Thats cool they have an aluminum bodied shock now, before that it was just the Blackhawk right? Does ICON still use proprietary valving shims?
On their vehicle specific shocks yes but you can now order just about anything in any size/valving you want from them or us. For instance the 5/1600 car is getting 3.0x14 quads out back and 2.5x10" tripples up front.

I believe you are correct on the blackhawks, The VS aluminum bodied shocks are completely rebuildable too.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #25
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsfenrir View Post
I came back from a year in Afghanistan to find my $1300 Fox coil-overs looking like they were salvaged off the Titanic. Has anyone here encountered this, or know a means to combat it.

I took them off once to clean with just about every type of rust remover on the market, and they reappeared like this. I've also e-mailed Fox with the enclosed pics to see if their service can clean them up a bit.

If anyone has any advice, I appreciate it, thanks.
Join the club.

turned to this:

I'm going to clean everything up as best as I can, replace what needs it, and coat everything with Fluid Film as mentioned earlier in this thread.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:42 PM   #26
tsfenrir is on a distinguished road

Army:
Name: Travis
tsfenrir's Tacoma Gallery
I looked up the Fluid Film stuff on their website, I hope it does what it claims. I have a shelf in my garage dedicated to all the cleaners and lubricants I have used trying to clean and protect so far. It's been a losing battle. It seems the only way to keep them clean here is to wipe down and coat every time they get wet.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #27
==========
pAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
pAP's Tacoma Gallery
I really want to try something with these fox co's. Mine barely saw salt and they are starting to shows signs of deterioration. I wash the shit out of the truck too. I'm going to try fluid film.