Notices

Rust on Shocks

Old 02-26-2012, 11:03 PM   #1
tsfenrir is on a distinguished road

Army:
Name: Travis
tsfenrir's Tacoma Gallery
Rust on Shocks

I came back from a year in Afghanistan to find my $1300 Fox coil-overs looking like they were salvaged off the Titanic. Has anyone here encountered this, or know a means to combat it.

I took them off once to clean with just about every type of rust remover on the market, and they reappeared like this. I've also e-mailed Fox with the enclosed pics to see if their service can clean them up a bit.

If anyone has any advice, I appreciate it, thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust on Shocks-rusty-shocks-003.jpg   Rust on Shocks-rusty-shocks-004.jpg   Rust on Shocks-rusty-shocks-005.jpg  
Old 02-27-2012, 12:33 AM   #2
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Wow man, that is terrible! Wonder if they have a coating they could add to it. Icon's got a coating for $100 more!
Old 02-27-2012, 12:51 AM   #3
toytaco11 is on a distinguished road

toytaco11's Tacoma Gallery
wow that's crazy. I think this happens to all coilovers after awhile. I used silicone spray on my SAWS and it did seem to help a bit.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:06 AM   #5
Supermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Landon
Supermoto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqoma View Post
in a thread I read some guy said Fox's are made of steel and can rust where others like King use aluminum.
Not true, they all make the body from steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
Yep that is common with the fox shocks.
I disagree, I have owned many fox shocks over the years and never had rust. Without maintenance any shock will rust.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:18 AM   #6
Supermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
You also don't live in the salt belt
Yeah but put any shock through that without maintaining and it will rust over time.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:37 AM   #7
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermoto View Post
Not true, they all make the body from steel
I disagree, I have owned many fox shocks over the years and never had rust. Without maintenance any shock will rust.
I reccomend you go back and do some more research.

Kings most definitely have aluminum bodies. Aluminum dissipates heat faster then steel so your top of the line manufacturers like King utilize it.

Quote:
Yeah but put any shock through that without maintaining and it will rust over time.
Not true at all. My Kings are 100% fine after 2 years of salt belt abuse.

From Kings site:

Lightweight hard anodized 6063 aluminum alloy reservoirs dissipate heat quickly and will not rust due to gas charging contamination.
Aluminum components and vehicle specific mounts are machined from aircraft quality billet. Front and rear kits all include all necessary vehicle specific mounting brackets and hardware along with detailed installation instructions. Technical support, if needed, is only a phone call or email away.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
I reccomend you go back and do some more research.

Kings most definitely have aluminum bodies. Aluminum dissipates heat faster then steel so your top of the line manufacturers like King utilize it.

Not true at all. My Kings are 100% fine after 2 years of salt belt abuse.

No i recommend you do more research, both king and fox use DOM steel for the shock body. The reservoirs are made from aluminium.

"The shock body is made from low carbon DOM steel tubing then honed and threaded."

Just wondering how many shocks have you opened up and rebuilt?
Old 02-27-2012, 10:06 AM   #11
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No i recommend you do more research, both king and fox use DOM steel for the shock body. The reservoirs are made from aluminium.
"The shock body is made from low carbon DOM steel tubing then honed and threaded."
So why is it that after 2 years I have corrosion on the bodies and threads not rust?

I don't see what rebuilding a shock has to do with metallurgy.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #12
Cuz Stock Sucks!
SDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SDHQ OFFROAD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

This is correct.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:08 AM   #13

Quote:
So why is it that after 2 years I have corrosion on the bodies and threads not rust?

I don't see what rebuilding a shock has to do with metallurgy.
its the coating they use breaking down. If you don't believe me call king and ask them what their coilover bodies are made from.

Ive done more than just bolted them on, thats what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDHQ OFFROAD View Post
This is correct.
Thank you!
Old 02-27-2012, 10:10 AM   #14
Banned
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
King must electroplate their shocks then.

I have never seen corrosion similar to aluminum corrosion on steel before.

Guess you learn something new every day.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #15
Cuz Stock Sucks!
SDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I think you need to do some more research on who the "high end manufacturers" are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lPnx7iX8mk

just saying...
Old 02-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #16

Quote:
This is correct.
Quote:
I think you need to do some more research on who the "high end manufacturers" are.

just saying...
No kidding

Old 02-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #17
Cuz Stock Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
Wow man, that is terrible! Wonder if they have a coating they could add to it. Icon's got a coating for $100 more!
If you live in the salt belt the IVD coating from Icon does a terrific job at keeping your shocks clean and new looking.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:16 AM   #18
Cuz Stock Sucks!

Quote:

just saying...
bumping to the next page

Quote:
No kidding

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIqfvlItb4c
Dan Vance at 2:04 then a block for him on the next 1450 truck by us
Old 02-27-2012, 10:17 AM   #19

Quote:
If you live in the salt belt the IVD coating from Icon does a terrific job at keeping your shocks clean and new looking.
You work with ALOT of shocks and installs. In your opinion does one brand have a better coating than another? (not counting the old sway aways ha) IMO they are all very similar
Old 02-27-2012, 10:21 AM   #20

Quote:
bumping to the next page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIqfvlItb4c
Dan Vance at 2:04 then a block for him on the next 1450 truck by us
I co drove for him at ridgecrest back in 07, wow all i can say is wow. He over all'd that one.