Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Light Racing/SPC UCA question

Old 02-28-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Light Racing/SPC UCA question

For a new install on a 2nd generation I understand the "D" ball joint cam setting.
For the preliminary camber setting, do I want to pull the ball joints all the way "outboard" before torquing the ball joint nut ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:17 PM   #3
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadToy View Post
Yep. But you should still get an alignment afterwards. I'm going tomorrow to see how far off/close this made mine.
Oh definitely on the alignment.
Just want it as close as possible for the drive to the alignment shop. I would also like the shop to not have to touch the BJ adjustment.

Mine's going to be aligned on Friday.
Please post back with your results.

Remember, caster wants to be 2.4 to 3.1
My shop will go +2.8 tops. This is the Toyota max.
Camber and toe keep near 0
Old 02-28-2012, 04:38 PM   #4
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Chances are your shop won't want to touch the balljoint anyway. Unless you want to bump caster as high as your truck will allow, set the BJ all the way out with the SPC logo facing directly out and perpendicular to the tire. This will allow for a decent amount of caster and ability to correct camber and toe settings.

If you want to set caster as high as you can, disregard adjusting camber at the LCA and instead rotate the cams for max caster, then adjust your camber at the BJ/UCA.

IIRC my camber looked pretty good with the above setting. When I took a degree of caster out of the UCA and had the BJ all the way out I had a little positive camber. Nothing to be concerned over unless your alignment shop is a few hundred miles one way.

This is my experience at least.

Though you seem like you're on top of things, don't forget, Never torque the UCA bolt until it's at ride height.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:34 PM   #5

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
Chances are your shop won't want to touch the balljoint anyway. Unless you want to bump caster as high as your truck will allow, set the BJ all the way out with the SPC logo facing directly out and perpendicular to the tire. This will allow for a decent amount of caster and ability to correct camber and toe settings.
Yeah, that's the "D" position.

Quote:
If you want to set caster as high as you can, disregard adjusting camber at the LCA and instead rotate the cams for max caster, then adjust your camber at the BJ/UCA.
The "D" postion gets you to +2 and I figure since the shop will only go to Toyota max of 2.8 that they will be able to get .8 from the LCA.

Quote:
IIRC my camber looked pretty good with the above setting. When I took a degree of caster out of the UCA and had the BJ all the way out I had a little positive camber. Nothing to be concerned over unless your alignment shop is a few hundred miles one way.
Not sure what you mean here, I'm just hoping that "all the way outboard" with the BJ is the best place for starters.

Quote:
Though you seem like you're on top of things, don't forget, Never torque the UCA bolt until it's at ride height.
Yeah, I'm all over that one.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:08 PM   #6
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflan View Post
Yeah, that's the "D" position.
Correct

The "D" postion gets you to +2 and I figure since the shop will only go to Toyota max of 2.8 that they will be able to get .8 from the LCA.
I'd think so too.

Not sure what you mean here, I'm just hoping that "all the way outboard" with the BJ is the best place for starters.
Sorry I guess I should have explained more, I had mine at +2 (D) but then I took a degree out to make them only +1. Initially I had them at the D setting and all the way out and my camber looked pretty decent IIRC. After I took the degree out to be at +1 over stock my camber was a little positive until they adjusted it at the LCA. When I find time I think I'll bump it back to D and then have the shop max caster at the LCA and then adjust camber with the sliding ball joint. (for tire fitting purposes, as was taking out a degree of caster, though this is really irrelevant to your needs)

Yeah, I'm all over that one.
Basically what I'm saying is +2 (D) and all the way outboard is just fine and you'll be set to get to the alignment shop and chances are your camber will be pretty close as it is.