Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

OME install pics, doesn't look right

Old 03-03-2012, 09:14 AM   #22
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
I vote get a new guy to look and reinstall it. Bring their phone # and bill the the first guy you used. Show him how it will look correctly installed and then ask for him to pay you back for him not doing it right the first time. I'm going to assume that this won't fly with him so you will then have to never speak with or refer people to him ever again. He is not open minded enough to take a second look at a serious concern you have about his work and an improper install that will cost you money, hell it already has because of his attitude.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #23
JGUT will become famous soon enough
JGUT's Tacoma Gallery
UPDATE: I took the truck over to the tire and suspension shop that did the alignment (not the install). My buddy Alfredo works there and in his opinion the springs don't appear to be installed upside down. He did suggest that the isolator's be replaced on both sides. He told me to take it back to the guy and have him remove both sides and then to take it to his shop so he can take apart the coils and shocks and replace the isolator with the proper equipment. Then afterwards take it back to wherever it was uninstalled and have it re-installed. He said otherwise his shop will have to charge for about 4 hours of labor.

I went to the dealership and they want $91 a piece for each side. He called it a support and it's part #48609-04020.

At this point I'm already into it for $794 for all 4 shocks and labor (not including the UCA's which were $515). Needless to say I am getting very frustrated with this whole mess.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #24
JGUT's Tacoma Gallery
Ok so here's what I first installed on my truck which I ordered from Toytec about 3 yrs ago and had installed with the stock TRD bilstein's

Here's the upgraded shocks and UCA's which were installed almost a month ago.

And here's a picture from Toytec's website. It looks as though there's more parts in the middle of the picture as compared to what I have. Although I ordered the trim pack I never received it or was charged for it. Could it be I'm having issues due to the spacer kit being different?

Old 03-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #25
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
If its indeed installed correctly, then the ride should be un affected by the orientation of the spring isolators. That being said, the OME 90000 shocks are more firm than the older ones. That might be why you feel the ride is more firm.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #26
Mr. Magoo
MonkeyChief is on a distinguished road

Name: Citizen #1839-7634-001
MonkeyChief's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGUT View Post

And here's a picture from Toytec's website. It looks as though there's more parts in the middle of the picture as compared to what I have. Although I ordered the trim pack I never received it or was charged for it. Could it be I'm having issues due to the spacer kit being different?

those parts are actually the differential drop kit that comes along with the lift kit from Toytec.

I just installed the OME setup and the ride is amazing and getting better all the time. I think if you're feeling like something is "wrong" because it is so stiff, then don't dick around with cheap, find someone who know what they are doing to fix it and don't fret the cash or you just might pay much more in the end.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #27
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
This is what a properly installed OME coilover looks like:

Notice that it doesn't have a spacer lift included. That's the reason for the rougher ride. Mine rides better than stock now.
The flat side goes up and lines up with the groove already in the isolator. The round end matches up with the cup in the strut.
Your friend is not being honest with you, or just doesn't know. Lose the spacer, and line up the isolator properly.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:26 PM   #28
double dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Derrick
double dee's Tacoma Gallery

Does the OME kit come with new front bushings and washers? In the picture they appear to be there but they did not come with my kit I just got.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #29
JGUT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
This is what a properly installed OME coilover looks like:

Notice that it doesn't have a spacer lift included. That's the reason for the rougher ride. Mine rides better than stock now.
The flat side goes up and lines up with the groove already in the isolator. The round end matches up with the cup in the strut.
Your friend is not being honest with you, or just doesn't know. Lose the spacer, and line up the isolator properly.
By losing the spacer won't the front end drop and the truck not be level? I like this suggestion because I prefer a smoother ride but I just don't want the truck to be higher in the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double dee View Post

Does the OME kit come with new front bushings and washers? In the picture they appear to be there but they did not come with my kit I just got.
It appears that it should but I noticed that the bushings on my truck right now aren't new, they are the old ones reinstalled. Maybe the guy ate them with his lunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
If its indeed installed correctly, then the ride should be un affected by the orientation of the spring isolators. That being said, the OME 90000 shocks are more firm than the older ones. That might be why you feel the ride is more firm.
I remember you said the old one's were better than the new ones in a different thread where Downsouth Motorsports was trying to get rid off. I was too late in getting them for $200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damole View Post
those parts are actually the differential drop kit that comes along with the lift kit from Toytec.

I just installed the OME setup and the ride is amazing and getting better all the time. I think if you're feeling like something is "wrong" because it is so stiff, then don't dick around with cheap, find someone who know what they are doing to fix it and don't fret the cash or you just might pay much more in the end.
Ya my ride is far from amazing. I am already taking it to someone else next week and not dicking around because I'd rather get this done right. The other guy already said that he worked at big O' for 4 years doing suspension work and that he would prefer I take it with somebody that is going to do it the way I think it should be done.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:48 PM   #30
00yotasr5 is on a distinguished road

Name: lee
00yotasr5's Tacoma Gallery
your springs are install correctly but it looks like theres 2 rubber insolator (could be wrong). if not then its the bolts ends from the spacer that is causing the insolator to look like that.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:15 AM   #31
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know how long of a spacer it takes to not hit the bump stops in compression, but the results are disaterous.
A slight front rake is normal.