Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

OME install pics, doesn't look right

Old 03-03-2012, 06:22 AM   #1
JGUT will become famous soon enough
JGUT's Tacoma Gallery
OME install pics, doesn't look right

I've read that a lot of members are happy with the OME set up but for me the ride seems to stiff and not smooth at all. I had a friend install the DSM UCA's and the OME 90000 front and the N182 rear shocks. I already had the Toytec 3" lift kit with 885 coils.

So I've been using the search to find out why my ride is stiff. I ran into a post by Tacomman91 and he thought his coils were installed upside down. That led me to go out and look at my truck and I found some rubber that doesn't look like it's installed properly, it's uneven to say the least. I'm hoping to find a solution so I can get that awesome ride everybody is talking about after getting OME installed. I'm tempted to go to a meet coming up at the Pavilions in Scottsdale AZ and have one of the members test drive my truck and see what they think and to make sure I'm not crazy.

So does it look like the mechanic did not install properly? I took pics of both sides up close and one from far away from passenger side. Thanks for the help.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:08 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Springs look to be installed upside down...
Old 03-03-2012, 07:19 AM   #3
JGUT's Tacoma Gallery
I had a feeling something wasn't right. Would this make a difference in the feel of the ride? I'll take some pics soon from the bottom to see if that can be confirmed.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:22 AM   #4
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGUT View Post
I had a feeling something wasn't right. Would this make a difference in the feel of the ride? I'll take some pics soon from the bottom to see if that can be confirmed.
Im sure it would make some difference. No need to take more pics, as I can see the end coil digging into the isolator. Obviously the person who did the install never played with legos, let alone knows how to assemble shocks.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:22 AM   #5
JGUT's Tacoma Gallery
I text messaged my friend who installed them and he replied

"They can't be...The coils have a smaller opening on the bottom, and they won't sit on the base if theyd b upside down"
Old 03-03-2012, 07:23 AM   #6

Quote:
I text messaged my friend who installed them and he replied

"They can't be...The coils have a smaller opening on the bottom, and they won't sit on the base if theyd b upside down"
There is no "smaller opening" . The flat part goes up, and the lower spring seat matches the end coil.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch aka View Post

$5.00 says Chris is correct.
i would have put 2.50.....
Old 03-03-2012, 07:27 AM   #10
LouTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Lou Taco
LouTaco's Tacoma Gallery
could that rubber piece be installed upside down cause it sure looks like its bulging out as compared to mine

Old 03-03-2012, 07:28 AM   #12
JGUT's Tacoma Gallery
Ok so he claims he installed them right and just sent me this picture that he took right after the install. He said "those black coil cups came with the emus"

Old 03-03-2012, 07:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouTaco View Post
could that rubber piece be installed upside down cause it sure looks like its bulging out as compared to mine
The isolator is installed correctly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch aka View Post
Started at $20.00 and backed it down to $5.00
LOL!!
Old 03-03-2012, 07:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Ok so he claims he installed them right and just sent me this picture that he took right after the install. He said "those black coil cups came with the emus"
Bottom line is this.....The spring isolator shouldnt be bulging out like that. I know of only 2 things that cause that.
#1. The isolator was installed wrong.
#2. the springs are upsdide down.

He can say they are right all he wants, but it doesnt change the fact that something is wrong. Looking at the pics, it looks as the spring is upside down.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:34 AM   #15

If the springs are not installed up sdide down, then the spring isolator needs to be set correctly. Regardless, they need to be taken apart and fixed.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:36 AM   #17
JGUT's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Bottom line is this.....The spring isolator shouldnt be bulging out like that. I know of only 2 things that cause that.
#1. The isolator was installed wrong.
#2. the springs are upsdide down.

He can say they are right all he wants, but it doesnt change the fact that something is wrong. Looking at the pics, it looks as the spring is upside down.
Damn so all that money spent on the install and I'm gonna have to get it redone including the alignment?
Old 03-03-2012, 07:38 AM   #18

Quote:
Damn so all that money spent on the install and I'm gonna have to get it redone including the alignment?
yup.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:49 AM   #19
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
The shock install is fairly quick. Most of the labor went into the upper control arm install, which doesn't have to be repeated.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:56 AM   #20
JGUT's Tacoma Gallery
Ya I'm gonna take it somewhere else. He is not agreeing with anything I'm telling him. Here's the last 3 text messages he sent me

1. Id know dude, that part is still the original from your truck, and it is rubber that has alot more pressure from being compressed by the bigger coils u put on..i would think

In reply to "Just wondering why the isolator at the top is being dug into"

2. "That's your spacer bolt. look at the seating cup, they have a coil molded into it which the coil can only be put on one way and to me it doesnt look like its seating wrong at all"

In reply to "They tell me that there is no smaller opening. The flat part goes up and the lower spring matches the end coil"

3. They're not upside down, the rubber spacer might be a little offset but I had to do with that tool u brought"

Note: The tool I brought was the spring compressor from Autozone which he asked me to get.