Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

CV Angle?

Old 12-10-2008, 10:43 PM   #1
dtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Denny
dtrujillo63's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dtrujillo63
CV Angle?

Here is a shot of my CV joint angle. Is it angled too much? Should I lower my coilovers a bit or do you think they will settle some what?

Old 12-10-2008, 10:47 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrujillo63 View Post
Here is a shot of my CV joint angle. Is it angled too much? Should I lower my coilovers a bit or do you think they will settle some what?

i have seen worse. what do you have the coilovers set at now??
Old 12-10-2008, 10:50 PM   #3
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Question

I'm not the greatest with my Taco but where exactly in that picture is the cv joint? Also, when I install my toytec diff drop in a couple of days, will it mess with my alignment or anything?
Old 12-10-2008, 10:51 PM   #4
dtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I didn't measure my stock height but with 265/75/16 tires my fenders sit @ 39"s. I just installed them this weekend, do you think they will settle a bit?
Old 12-10-2008, 10:51 PM   #5
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
I'm not the greatest with my Taco but where exactly in that picture is the cv joint? Also, when I install my toytec diff drop in a couple of days, will it mess with my alignment or anything?
look right to the left of the tire.....the black boot there.......thats the cv. and installing the diff drop shouldnt do anything to your alignment.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:52 PM   #6

Quote:
The CV shaft is the bar with the green sticker on it. A diff drop wont mess with your alignment.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:52 PM   #7

Quote:
I didn't measure my stock height but with 265/75/16 tires my fenders sit @ 39"s. I just installed them this weekend, do you think they will settle a bit?
yeah, im pretty sure they will settle some dude. if you dont hear any clicking and popping, i dont think you got anything to worry about for a good while.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:54 PM   #8

Sounds good ! I'll measure again in about 2 weeks and see if my height drops.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:55 PM   #9
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
you should wait a week or two to see how much the springs settle, then go from there if any adjustments are needed.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:57 PM   #10
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Question

Quote:
The CV shaft is the bar with the green sticker on it. A diff drop wont mess with your alignment.
Oh okay got yah. Now how is it supposed to look? Level and straight?
Old 12-10-2008, 11:01 PM   #11
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
generally speaking the rule of thumb is you don't want the ribs of the CV boots touching each other.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
you should wait a week or two to see how much the springs settle, then go from there if any adjustments are needed.
Thats the plan!

Quote:
I'm not too sure... I doubt they sit leveled @ stock height, just not as angled.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:05 PM   #13
Lieutenant Dan.

Question

Quote:
Thats the plan!

I'm not too sure... I doubt they sit leveled @ stock height, just not as angled.
Oh okay. I got my truck lifted on Monday so when I get my diff drop kit here by this weekend hopefully, should I just install them?
Old 12-10-2008, 11:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Oh okay. I got my truck lifted on Monday so when I get my diff drop kit here by this weekend hopefully, should I just install them?
Yes you should, its an easy install.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:13 PM   #15
Lieutenant Dan.

Question

Quote:
Yes you should, its an easy install.
So I assume you don't have a diff drop on yours?
Old 12-10-2008, 11:20 PM   #16

Quote:
So I assume you don't have a diff drop on yours?
I got one, it was the first thing I installed when I originally only had 5100s.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:51 AM   #17
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
To me, it looks like your fins are touching. If this is the case, lower it a bit. If the fins are rubbing each other, they are gonna wear down eventually leading to a split in them dumping all the grease out. If they are touching when sittin still, they are gonna be much worse when traveling over bumps.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:32 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
To me, it looks like your fins are touching. If this is the case, lower it a bit. If the fins are rubbing each other, they are gonna wear down eventually leading to a split in them dumping all the grease out. If they are touching when sittin still, they are gonna be much worse when traveling over bumps.
Should I wait a bit and see if my coilovers settle a bit?
Old 12-11-2008, 03:32 PM   #19
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Should I wait a bit and see if my coilovers settle a bit?
I dont know. They dont usually last that long when the boots are rubbing like that. If it were me, I would lower it a little, until the fins arent touching. If the springs sag, then you can raise them back up.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:41 PM   #20
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I dont know. They dont usually last that long when the boots are rubbing like that. If it were me, I would lower it a little, until the fins arent touching. If the springs sag, then you can raise them back up.
+1. Kindof a pain, but I agree with Chris. You don't want to be driving down the road and blow that thing. Because it will happen at the wrong time!