LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Are uniballs supposed to be pressed in??

Old 03-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #1
RacerP will become famous soon enough
RacerP's Tacoma Gallery
Are uniballs supposed to be pressed in??

I have done a little googling for the answer and not sure?

Are they supposed to be pressed in so they fit tight??

NegroTundra over on TundraSolutions.com replaced his uniballs on his Camburgs and was able to push them out with his fingers??

Should I be dremel-ing out the cups a bit to be able to do the same?? Or have them pressed in?
Attached Thumbnails
Are uniballs supposed to be pressed in??-img_1470.jpg  
Old 03-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #2
Tacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Tacorunner87's Tacoma Gallery
I had to press in my uniballs on my old lt kit. I would not dermal the cup. Reason they are tight is from heat warp.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #3
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Pressed.

Here you go buddy

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...ml#post2804791

If your buddy's uniballs came out by hand..... his shit if fubar.

I would not want some measly spring clip being the only thing holding my wheel on when I'm doing 50 on a trail. He needs to get them looked at ASAP IMO.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #4
RacerP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacorunner87 View Post
I had to press in my uniballs on my old lt kit. I would not dermal the cup. Reason they are tight is from heat warp.
I know the cups warp a little from the welding, but, was wondering how much??

I couldn't believe the picture that he could actually remove them just by finger pushing.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:18 AM   #5
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerP View Post
I have done a little googling for the answer and not sure?

Are they supposed to be pressed in so they fit tight??

NegroTundra over on TundraSolutions.com replaced his uniballs on his Camburgs and was able to push them out with his fingers??

Should I be dremel-ing out the cups a bit to be able to do the same?? Or have them pressed in?

DO NOT cut or file anything. They are a bitch, but once you get the hang of it they go right in.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:22 AM   #6
RacerP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
DO NOT cut or file anything. They are a bitch, but once you get the hang of it they go right in.
I got a piece of galvanized pipe and been trying to tap them in...can't keep them straight...have tried putting them in a vise with the pipe and no luck there either.

Going to a buddy's race shop this afternoon, he should have a press.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:26 AM   #7
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerP View Post
I got a piece of galvanized pipe and been trying to tap them in...can't keep them straight...have tried putting them in a vise with the pipe and no luck there either.

Going to a buddy's race shop this afternoon, he should have a press.

that thread is a little screwed up...long story....but I am "misc".

the first ball i put on with wood and a wood clamp.

the second ball I put on with a press "kit" I rented fro free from any auto store and it was 10x easier to do.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #8
RacerP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Pressed.

Here you go buddy

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...ml#post2804791

If your buddy's uniballs came out by hand..... his shit if fubar.

I would not want some measly spring clip being the only thing holding my wheel on when I'm doing 50 on a trail. He needs to get them looked at ASAP IMO.
And by the way, I had already seen your thread on this and exactly why I ordered F&K stainless uniballs for my UCA's...especially being here in Chicago.

And picked up the DuPont version of the dry teflon lube.

Thanks for all of these.

I got another thread going where I am assembling some custom fabbed UCA's, turned out to be a bitch to find the bushings and sleeves.

Ended up buying longer bushings and cutting them down...same with the sleeves, but had to sleeve the sleeves as well.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...bbed-ucas.html

Will post the rest of the story on that thread with pictures.