1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just added Timbrens to my 98 reg cab 4x4.

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by 98Woodrow, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Mar 4, 2012 at 7:11 PM
    98Woodrow

98Woodrow [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    98 4x4 reg cab
    Holy cow what a difference. I have only had the truck about 6 weeks, and a couple times I loaded it full of firewood at the house to move the wood across the yard. On those occasions I found out what is meant by the term "frowning springs." Just filled up to the bed rail with split oak for a 100 yard trip, the rear sagged badly. Maybe 2.5-3 full inches.

Friday I got the Timbrens on and this weekend I took the truck to the woods. I put exactly the same amount of wood in it as before--stacked, full to the bedrail. It went down about an inch and stopped. I drove it 55 on the highway just because I could, and it handled very very well. For the purpose I had in mind when I bought them, the Timbrens are perfect. I doubt they are a lot of help in every situation we face because of the wifty rear springs on these trucks, but for my issues (occasional fairly heavy hauling short distances, pulling a bass boat long distances) they are the perfect answer.

Now I am thinking about putting a set on my 3/4 ton Dodge Cummins.:)

I was looking at $4-500 for new rear springs plus paying someone to put them on. I paid $200, including shipping, for these and put them on myself in about an hour for free. Piece of cake.

Once in a while you make the right call, save some money, and get what you need.

2. Mar 5, 2012 at 12:20 AM
    Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Icon/All Pro.....chopped for 35's
    For hauling, they handle great! Feel real firm and stable! Hated them as jounce shocks though...very bouncy and unforgiving!

3. Mar 5, 2012 at 5:56 AM
    98Woodrow

98Woodrow [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    98 4x4 reg cab
    I know what you mean, but a little bit of that is ok because I like a truck to ride like a truck!

Products Discussed in

To Top