1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ideas on 3" lift...sorry for being a newb.

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by J-Bird, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Dec 11, 2008 at 10:21 AM
    J-Bird

J-Bird [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SB, Ca
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD off-road 4x2 DC
    soon
    Ok so I was wondering whats the best 3" kit for under $350. Also does it look bad with stock wheels, will it matter when i get new rims and tires? Last question whats the difference of a lift kit and a leveling kit. I read the lift FAQs but im still confused.

Im sorry for all the newb questions, I know a lot of you must sick of them. But what can I say Ive got to start somewhere. Thanks in advance.

2. Dec 11, 2008 at 10:31 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Leveling Kits pick the front end up to have the clearance as the back (so the wheel wells look even insted of down in the front a bit)
    Lift Kits pick the whole truck up a certain amount.

Before you get recommendations- What are you lifting for?? Looks or Off Road performance??

3. Dec 11, 2008 at 10:37 AM
    J-Bird

Member:
    SB, Ca
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD off-road 4x2 DC
    soon
    Thats what i needed a clear simple answer. Im lifting for both reasons, however a bit more for looks than performance. Only because where I live there arent many places to go off road without driving a while.

4. Dec 11, 2008 at 10:59 AM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    J-Bird, i'll help you install the lift. i got all the tools. You buy beer & pizza and we're good :)

5. Dec 11, 2008 at 11:04 AM
    J-Bird

Member:
    SB, Ca
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD off-road 4x2 DC
    soon
    haha for sure nick im down. oh and don i want it for performance not just looks, i figure what the point if it doesnt serve a purpose.

6. Dec 11, 2008 at 11:49 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Well...I think you are going to be dissappointed-but I don't think you'll be able to find a 3" lift that you'll like off road for 350 bucks....but there are lots of suspension gurus around that'll help you out!!

7. Dec 11, 2008 at 12:11 PM
    J-Bird

Member:
    SB, Ca
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD off-road 4x2 DC
    soon
    Thanks for the info Brunes. Any ideas on some less expensive quality lifts? Oh and any thoughts on any of the toyotech 3" litfs, a few look pretty heavy duty for the price but what do i know im just a newb.

8. Dec 11, 2008 at 12:14 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    If you are talking about the ToyTec coilover lifts- Most everyone si happy with them...There are "higher end parts" out there..but they cost more.

If you want to do a spacer lift-It won't be good for off roading....if you want to do a coilover/Add a leaf....Expect like a grand or so minimum to do it....and a bit more to do it right.

PM Neubs to talk about toytec parts....and standby for tons of folks to chime in about why they like certain parts or brands (and search out the other threads about all the different brands)

9. Dec 11, 2008 at 12:19 PM
    J-Bird

Member:
    SB, Ca
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD off-road 4x2 DC
    soon
    Thanks again Brunes, this is by far the best forum on the web people are so nice and quick to respond. Do you think rims and tires would be a better first mod?

10. Dec 11, 2008 at 12:29 PM
    J-Bird

Member:
    SB, Ca
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD off-road 4x2 DC
    soon
    hey don i was lookin at the tuff county lift. how do you like it, pros and cons?

11. Dec 11, 2008 at 12:31 PM
    J-Bird

Member:
    SB, Ca
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD off-road 4x2 DC
    soon
    nvm on the tuff country looks like its only for 4x4. bummer.

12. Dec 11, 2008 at 12:32 PM
    J-Bird

Member:
    SB, Ca
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD off-road 4x2 DC
    soon
    uhh double post?

Products Discussed in

To Top