LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Uneven suspension and boot rub at full droop

Old 03-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
I need to go return some videotapes...
Seabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
Uneven suspension and boot rub at full droop

I had the front end of my truck up on a floor jack last weekend and put the front end at full droop to take a look at everything. While looking at the driver's side, I noticed that my boot just below the control arm was actually pushed up against my spring. Upon further review, other parts are rubbing as well.

Setup (on for over 1 full year):
OME 885 coils
5100's set at .85
1/4" top plate spacer on driver's side (for taco lean)
Light Racing UCA's
Sway bar - on

Here are the pics side by side. Notice that nothing touches at full droop (although some close calls) on the passenger side:

Passenger - top boot by UCA (clear of coil)

Driver - top boot by UCA (pushed up against coil)

Passenger - sway bar (CV boot clear of sway bar)

Driver - sway bar (CV boot pushed against sway bar)

Passenger - CV boot (boot just clear of shock mount)

Driver - CV boot (boot just touches bottom shock mount)

So, my question is... is it possible that only the 1/4" top plate spacer on the driver's side is causing such an off-balance positioning at full droop? When I lower the truck back down and have it sit level, everything clears and is fine. Boots are all intact, as I'm obviously not at full droop very often (and if so, it's very quick).

Any thoughts here as to why there's such a huge difference? I double checked that both shocks are still at .85 and that one didn't slip, but they are set fine. I noticed nothing bent at all on either side.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:08 AM   #2
Bangers Runner
GotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
GotLift37's Tacoma Gallery
my uca balljoints is the same way. I have lightracing ucas also
Old 03-05-2012, 10:08 AM   #3
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, I'd say it's form the top plate spacer. You could also rotate your coil on the DS so the boot won't touch it.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:12 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Not saying this is your issue but I've heard before that the coil orientation (twist) can have an affect on the UCA hitting the coils, or in your case, the boot.

Edit: Damn you Ben, beat me to it :shakesfist:
Old 03-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #5
Something about something
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
OME 885 coils
5100's set at .85

all that combined is the problem. You are not suppose to preload the OME's. you need to drop your billys down to "0".
Old 03-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #6
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
My questions aside from the preload of the coil would be.....Are the LR UCAs set the same on both sides as far as what caster setting they are on and is the nut on top for camber adjustment about the same place in the elongated slot on both sides? Not really seeing the 1/4" top plate spacer for taco lean being an issue. I'm betting the coils aren't oriented the same on both sides and/or the UCAs aren't setup the same on both sides.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:27 AM   #7
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
OME 885 coils
5100's set at .85

all that combined is the problem. You are not suppose to preload the OME's. you need to drop your billys down to "0".
Good catch. I missed that the pre load
Old 03-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #8
I need to go return some videotapes...
Seabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
OME 885 coils
5100's set at .85

I initially had them at 0 but then loaded them up. I know it's not optimal, and ideally I need to get 886's to compensate for my winch/bumper weight. It's only temporary. I guess when I get the full OME kit on with 886's, I'll make sure the springs are turned to match, too.

Great input so far, everyone. Thank you.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:38 AM   #9
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass View Post
I initially had them at 0 but then loaded them up. I know it's not optimal, and ideally I need to get 886's to compensate for my winch/bumper weight. It's only temporary. I guess when I get the full OME kit on with 886's, I'll make sure the springs are turned to match, too.

Great input so far, everyone. Thank you.
You have had it that way for a year you said. Temporary would be like a few weeks or a month...

you can put the 886's on the billys, you just cant preload them. and Im sure you can resale the 885's pretty easily on here.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:40 AM   #10
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
OME 885 coils
5100's set at .85

But the preload won't affect the droop. So even if he sets them lower (which I agree he should), the suspension will still droop the same amount, leading to the same contact with the UCA boot and coil. Only the top plate spacer increases droop in this case.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
But the preload won't affect the droop. So even if he sets them lower (which I agree he should), the suspension will still droop the same amount, leading to the same contact with the UCA boot and coil. Only the top plate spacer increases droop in this case.
thats true. Well the OP has several things to look over and check out. Hopefully he will get it figured out