1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Uneven suspension and boot rub at full droop

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Seabass, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Mar 5, 2012 at 10:05 AM
    Seabass

Seabass [OP] Give it to me. I'll break it for you

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    I had the front end of my truck up on a floor jack last weekend and put the front end at full droop to take a look at everything. While looking at the driver's side, I noticed that my boot just below the control arm was actually pushed up against my spring. Upon further review, other parts are rubbing as well.

Setup (on for over 1 full year):
    OME 885 coils
    5100's set at .85
    1/4" top plate spacer on driver's side (for taco lean)
    Light Racing UCA's
    Sway bar - on

Here are the pics side by side. Notice that nothing touches at full droop (although some close calls) on the passenger side:

Passenger - top boot by UCA (clear of coil)
    [​IMG]

Driver - top boot by UCA (pushed up against coil)
    [​IMG]

Passenger - sway bar (CV boot clear of sway bar)
    [​IMG]

Driver - sway bar (CV boot pushed against sway bar)
    [​IMG]

Passenger - CV boot (boot just clear of shock mount)
    [​IMG]

Driver - CV boot (boot just touches bottom shock mount)
    [​IMG]

So, my question is... is it possible that only the 1/4" top plate spacer on the driver's side is causing such an off-balance positioning at full droop? When I lower the truck back down and have it sit level, everything clears and is fine. Boots are all intact, as I'm obviously not at full droop very often (and if so, it's very quick).

Any thoughts here as to why there's such a huge difference? I double checked that both shocks are still at .85 and that one didn't slip, but they are set fine. I noticed nothing bent at all on either side.

2. Mar 5, 2012 at 10:08 AM
    GotLift37

GotLift37 Bangers Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    North East AL
    Vehicle:
    07 4Runner 4WD
    2.5" front lift (leeper coilover) 1" body 16" Dick Cepek DC1 Black/polished 295/75/16 General Grabber AT2 Tinted Taillights 5% tint OEM Acura TSX HID Retrofit White LED dash light conversion WMW roof rack
    my uca balljoints is the same way. I have lightracing ucas also

3. Mar 5, 2012 at 10:08 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Yes, I'd say it's form the top plate spacer. You could also rotate your coil on the DS so the boot won't touch it.

4. Mar 5, 2012 at 10:12 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Not saying this is your issue but I've heard before that the coil orientation (twist) can have an affect on the UCA hitting the coils, or in your case, the boot.

Edit: Damn you Ben, beat me to it :shakesfist:

98tacoma27 likes this.
  5. Mar 5, 2012 at 10:14 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    OME 885 coils
    5100's set at .85
    1/4" top plate spacer on driver's side (for taco lean)

all that combined is the problem. You are not suppose to preload the OME's. you need to drop your billys down to "0".

TacoTron likes this.
  6. Mar 5, 2012 at 10:24 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    My questions aside from the preload of the coil would be.....Are the LR UCAs set the same on both sides as far as what caster setting they are on and is the nut on top for camber adjustment about the same place in the elongated slot on both sides? Not really seeing the 1/4" top plate spacer for taco lean being an issue. I'm betting the coils aren't oriented the same on both sides and/or the UCAs aren't setup the same on both sides.

7. Mar 5, 2012 at 10:27 AM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    Good catch. I missed that the pre load

8. Mar 5, 2012 at 10:29 AM
    Seabass

Seabass [OP] Give it to me. I'll break it for you

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    I initially had them at 0 but then loaded them up. I know it's not optimal, and ideally I need to get 886's to compensate for my winch/bumper weight. It's only temporary. I guess when I get the full OME kit on with 886's, I'll make sure the springs are turned to match, too.

Great input so far, everyone. Thank you.

9. Mar 5, 2012 at 10:38 AM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    You have had it that way for a year you said. Temporary would be like a few weeks or a month... :p

you can put the 886's on the billys, you just cant preload them. and Im sure you can resale the 885's pretty easily on here.

10. Mar 5, 2012 at 10:40 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    But the preload won't affect the droop. So even if he sets them lower (which I agree he should), the suspension will still droop the same amount, leading to the same contact with the UCA boot and coil. Only the top plate spacer increases droop in this case.

11. Mar 5, 2012 at 10:48 AM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    thats true. Well the OP has several things to look over and check out. Hopefully he will get it figured out

12. Mar 29, 2019 at 9:30 PM
    GreyComa

GreyComa Well-Known Member

Member:
    OKC
    Vehicle:
    2010 Grey Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Short Bed
    OME CS047R Dakar leaf springs, OME 2885 coils (3/8" spacers, and 1/4" on driver side), Bilstein 5100s, Light Racing UCAs, ToyTec sway bar relocate, N-Fab 2" nerf steps, Bestop Supertop, BlackRhino Glamis wheels 17x9, extended diff breather mod.
    It seems that I'm having this same problem. Anyone here in 2019 have any ideas?

13. Mar 30, 2019 at 8:54 AM
    yeos

yeos OCD Member

Member:
    Moses Lake, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 AC TRD OR 2007 Lexus GX
    I had this issue as well with 5100s at the lowest perch, eibach 2.5" lift springs, top plate spacers, and spc ucas. Since the uca ball joint can be rotated and adjusted in and out, it plays a big role in whether it will touch the coil spring at full droop. However mine was not nearly as bad as the OP and I did not notice the other two issues he had with the sway bar and CV.

GreyComa[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Apr 11, 2019 at 5:29 AM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    Got pics and specs?

GreyComa[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Apr 11, 2019 at 6:02 PM
    GreyComa

Member:
    OKC
    Vehicle:
    OME CS047R Dakar leaf springs, OME 2885 coils (3/8" spacers, and 1/4" on driver side), Bilstein 5100s, Light Racing UCAs, ToyTec sway bar relocate, N-Fab 2" nerf steps, Bestop Supertop, BlackRhino Glamis wheels 17x9, extended diff breather mod.
    After a bit more poking around, I think I have it figured out. I put my lift in a few years ago (SPC uppers, OME 885 springs and 5100's). That was before I got my aluminum bumper and winch. I had it aligned at Les Schwab just after the install. It has driven straight and seemed OK, with the occasional weird sound on extreme potholes/bumps. I think the tech got it just good enough to barely miss the springs with the ball joint boot. Over the years, my springs have settled and my lower control arm bushings, especially the drivers rear bushing, have become shot more. I think this combination, has allowed the LCA to move inward toward the spring.

I have some new Moog LCA's with bushings and ball joints, and I have some OEM Cam bolts hardware (and a Sawzall) in the garage. I plan to replace the LCA's and adjust the cams to move the spindle out and re-align everything with the rear cams out most or all the way. I don't have the numbers, but here are some pics of the current situation. You can see that I have a lot of adjustment to work with. I assume the tech was not familiar with the SPC uppers and just got it within spec and set to barely miss the springs.

DriversFrontFrontCam.jpg
    Driver's side front forward Cam

DriversFrontRearCam.jpg
    Driver's side rear forward Cam

DriversRearBushing.jpg
    Rear Driver's LCA Bushing (This is the main problem.)

DriversRearFrontCam.jpg
    Driver's side front and rear forward Cams

DriversRearRearCam.jpg
    Driver's side rear rearward Cam

FrontDriversTire.jpg
    Front Driver's Tire (needs to move forward)

lo2hi and Leathermatt like this.
  16. Apr 15, 2019 at 9:23 PM
    GreyComa

Member:
    OKC
    Vehicle:
    Update:
    I am now into day 3 of my LCA replacement. I have one more seized tie rod jam nut left, and then I can do my alignment. It has been a pain in the ass. I have a theory that the previous owner used the truck to launch a boat, and dunked it in the water a lot. Almost all of my nuts and bolts have been seized up. I expect a frame recall is in my future.

I ran to Lowe's on Friday night to grab some diablo blades, but they didn't carry them. So, I got some Lennox blades that were made for thick metal, but were not carbide. I think that was a mistake, since I spent all Saturday with the sawzall. Had to cut the cam bolts on both sides of 3 of the bushings. All of the cam bolts, except for the passenger rear bushing bolt, were totally seized up. I finally got them all cut, removed the LCAs, cleaned up and shot some rustoleum on the frame holes, and called it a night.

Started Sunday off with my daughter's dance recital, then back to the truck. Got the old ball joints out, and put in the new LCAs. Then, I rotated my SPC UCA joint to the center position. Put the tires back on, let it down, and torqued everything under load. I had set the cam bolts to push the wheels all the way forward, so now my toe is off. Sunday night I realized that I was not going to be able to fix the toe out, because my tierod jam nuts were seized. So, I started them soaking in PB, and bought a torch and a 22mm wrench.

I had to borrow my CRV from my wife this morning, and did a half day at work. Came home and have been trying all the tricks for seized bolts. After 5 hours on and off of torching and soaking with wd40, then PB blaster, then acetone and atf, and with the use of two cheater bars, I finally got one side loose. The other side needs to soak a bit more.

So, it will soak tonight, and I will resume tomorrow afternoon after work. To be continued...

Leathermatt and lo2hi like this.
  17. Apr 17, 2019 at 8:42 PM
    GreyComa

Member:
    OKC
    Vehicle:
    Spent several hours getting the last jam nut loose from the out tie rod. However, it was still seized onto the inner tie rod. So, I spent ALL day today torching and soaking the damn thing. The inner tie rod flats are pretty soft, so they started rounding off. Finally had to use a pipe wrench to get a good enough grip to break the nut "loose". However, it wasn't really loose. It is one of those nuts that takes about 50-90 ft/lbs to turn and it creaks the whole time it is being turned. But I was able to move it enough to bring the toe in. I have the truck roughly aligned and it is just pulling to right a tad. Here are some pics of the various tools I used, a picture of the mother f'er, and the cam old bolts.

20190417_152302.jpg 20190417_152135.jpg 20190417_201540.jpg

18. Apr 18, 2019 at 4:05 AM
    Troyken

Troyken Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB v6 off road 4x4 6 spd. MT
    I'm glad you got everything apart. Just for future readers.... a MAPP turbo type torch is the way to go if you haven't got an oxy/ acetylene rig. Mapp is much hotter than propane and will get nuts and bolts loose faster and is very portable. When cutting metal with a sawzall, use plenty of cutting oil or even WD-40 to lube and cool the blade and flush out the chips. You will be amazed at how easily they cut that way. I put almost everything I take apart back together with never seize for future repairs.

19. Apr 18, 2019 at 11:13 AM
    GreyComa

Member:
    OKC
    Vehicle:
    Great advice.

Products Discussed in

To Top