Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

New tires + stock 04 DC = rubbing. Need advice

Old 03-06-2012, 07:25 AM   #1
mjhenks is on a distinguished road
mjhenks's Tacoma Gallery
New tires + stock 04 DC = rubbing. Need advice

I need a small lift to clear my new tires. Need some advice as I want to make sure i do this only once.

Details: New 265/75/16 tires on a stock 04 Double cab. Had worn Remington's when truck was purchased and now have new Rugged Terrain. Both were same size. American Racing Outlaw II rims.

Rear springs replaced ~ 1 year ago with 4 leaf replacements for axle wrap/sagging. Front is stock.

The "Rub": The tires slightly rub at the rear inner fender when turning. If I turn and hit a bump then they really rub. Loud.

I am not looking for a major lift. Just enough to clear the tires.

I think a minor spacer up front will work but how do you tell how much?
I will add the same spacers to the rear.

I did some searching but probably not long enough to find the answer.

Thank you.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:50 AM   #3
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
5100s up front set at .85 will level you perfect! Easy fix though....just trim where its left marks and they wont run anymore!
Old 03-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
I run 265/75/16s as well on my stock DC and I don't rub on the fender. I did temporarily, but that was when I found a screw that was holding the fender well lining in was loose. However, it does rub the frame just barely when fully locked.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Its the "75" that's making it wider?? 5100s and trimming.....the 5100s will be a vast improvement over stock anyhow, front and rear!
Old 03-06-2012, 07:31 PM   #7
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
Its the "75" that's making it wider?? 5100s and trimming.....the 5100s will be a vast improvement over stock anyhow, front and rear!
265/75/16 is just over an inch larger in diameter. 30.61'' vs. 31.65''. The width should stay the same.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:41 PM   #8

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
OK, stock 2nd Gen TRD is 265/70/16...so I was thinking the 75 was. 5" wider??

My buddy at work runs that size tire on a 1st gen and rubs...I told him to trim and the front end is sagging so the 5100 will stiffen that up!
Old 03-06-2012, 09:36 PM   #9

ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
Ah, gotcha. Yeah, 5100s should help alleviate it. My coils are terribly saggy so that does not help at all. That's why I'm saving for a full OME setup