Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Toytec Vs. Bilstein 5100 Adjustables

Old 12-11-2008, 04:44 PM   #1
nitrus5 is on a distinguished road
nitrus5's Tacoma Gallery
Toytec Vs. Bilstein 5100 Adjustables

OK here's my problem! i have read to many posts. I just wondered if anyone has opinions on how the 5100s compare to the toytec 3" lift with springs?? i am looking at a diff drop and extended brake lines.

thanks
Old 12-11-2008, 06:13 PM   #3
nitrus5's Tacoma Gallery
more for looks
the only offroading i do is the occasional hunting trip. i was thinking the bilsteins might not ruin my factory ride
Old 12-11-2008, 06:22 PM   #4
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Well, if you set the 5100s all the way up to 2.5 (with the stock springs), you'll only have about an inch of downtravel left, so it'll be pretty stiff.

Get the 5100s (set to stock) and put on new coils (either OME or the coilover kit from ToyTec) you'll get a better ride. I'm running the 5100s and the coilover kit and I love it. A suggestion though, if you get the OME springs, get the OME shocks to go with it. They are valved for those springs.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:08 PM   #5
nitrus5's Tacoma Gallery
makes sense! so where would you recommend buying from?? Wheelersoffroad.com doesn't seem to have bad prices. and what are you running for the rear lift??

thanks for the fast replies!
Old 12-11-2008, 08:39 PM   #7
nitrus5's Tacoma Gallery
how weird does it look to lift the front and not the back?? Say if i was to order the stuff to do the front and hold off on the rear?
Old 12-11-2008, 08:48 PM   #8
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrus5 View Post
how weird does it look to lift the front and not the back?? Say if i was to order the stuff to do the front and hold off on the rear?
That just depends... What year model do you have? If you have an '05+ and you're still under warranty, you could get the rear TSB done at a dealership. Mine's just over 3" in the front and all I have in the back are the TSB springs - they lifted my rear almost an inch. Right now, my front is about 1/2" higher than the back, but with the tonneau, you can't really tell.

So, it just kinda depends....
Old 12-11-2008, 09:16 PM   #9
nitrus5's Tacoma Gallery
hmm
i have an 05 sport and it's not under warranty
yours looks bad a$$
so i should probably get it all at once huh?

off subject i know but how do you like your grille guard??
Old 12-11-2008, 09:27 PM   #10

Quote:
hmm
i have an 05 sport and it's not under warranty
yours looks bad a$$
so i should probably get it all at once huh?

off subject i know but how do you like your grille guard??
Thanks!

Since your truck is out of warranty, I would do either a 2" AAL or a whole new spring pack (depending on how your springs are holding up). And yeah, I would do it all at the same time.

I like the brush guard - it looks nice! Great for lights. But it's not very functional. It wouldn't provide much protection, couldn't be used for recovery or as a jack point. So, mainly it's just for looks - but it does that very well!
Old 12-11-2008, 09:33 PM   #11
TEXMEX TACO
alexamado is on a distinguished road

alexamado's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
more for looks
the only offroading i do is the occasional hunting trip. i was thinking the bilsteins might not ruin my factory ride
I was going through the same thing...didn't know which way to go with the lift. I didn't want to spend the money on something i really would not use so I went with the ome springs/ome shocks combo and I love it. I got great advise from these guys. The ride is great too. The only thing i need now is the UCA so plan on that.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamado View Post
I was going through the same thing...didn't know which way to go with the lift. I didn't want to spend the money on something i really would not use so I went with the ome springs/ome shocks combo and I love it. I got great advise from these guys. The ride is great too. The only thing i need now is the UCA so plan on that.
OME shocks/springs - nice choice!

Yep, the UCA would be a great idea and would help correct alignment issues when going up 3".
Old 12-11-2008, 09:43 PM   #16
TEXMEX TACO
alexamado is on a distinguished road

alexamado's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTaco View Post
As quoted on the Total Chaos website (that I read on this site... ):

"The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten"
That is so true
Old 12-12-2008, 04:59 PM   #17
nitrus5's Tacoma Gallery
ok so you guys are making me want to look at the OME stuff more!!!
Old 12-12-2008, 07:05 PM   #18
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ok so you guys are making me want to look at the OME stuff more!!!
OME makes some quality stuff, and they have been proven off road.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:17 PM   #20
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTaco View Post
Chris always trying to push the OME setup......
What can I say, Im just REALL happy with it.