1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Steering Upgrades

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by nedjinski, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Dec 11, 2008 at 6:47 PM
    nedjinski

nedjinski [OP] Member

Member:
    I have a 2004 4wd reg cab that has 32K miles on it. It has had very easy and typical road usage - only truly off road a few times.

Sometime after I got it in 2004 I got recall notices for ball joints which I had done at about 20K miles. The steering was tighter for a while - but now at 32K the steering is getting noticably looser and is most noticeable when on uneven pavement - like a double crown - the truck will want to launch into the other lane as it crosses over the crowns and I have to fight the steering wheel constantly.

Is this a typical breakdown of the steering components on the Tacoma? and is the issue ball joints or tie rod ends or rack bushings, etc? What's the remedy here?

Since it's out of warranty I will have the task of rebuilding the steering system and I want to know what components to use for the long haul - not components that are going to wear out at another 30K or so.

What's your diagnosis and recommendations?

2. Dec 11, 2008 at 6:49 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    if i were you, i would get a set of rack bushings from energy suspension. they will keep the rack alot tighter, and not "mush" out liek the stock rubber bushings. i bought a set of them, but then, my rack was replaced under warranty:D. im still gonna install them later on though. also...get yourself some energy suspension sway bar bushings.........i replaced my worn out rubber bushings with these, and it was night and day difference.

Products Discussed in

To Top